Sign in to follow this  
RockinHarry

Ambient light during daytimes

While toying with Mission data in the (Demo) editor, I noticed that ambient light in daytime hours before 9 hours, makes terrain shadows on back slopes appear look brighter than those directly lit on front side slopes. Does anyone noticed that too?

Setting is 6 June 1944, clear weather, with remaining data left at default.

See pics below for daytime hours 6-7-8-9-10-11-12

6hour.jpg

7hour.jpg

8hours.jpg

9hours.jpg

10hours.jpg

11hours.jpg

12hours.jpg

I also noticed, object shadows appear a bit off, not quite coinciding with the clock. Sun appears to be highest on horizon, with shadows falling exactly north at 14 hours.

I guess they implemented local summer time (daylight saving time), that was introduced by the Germans in the occupied countries of Western Europe. That explains a 2 hour shift for Western France, using Berlin sun time shifted by another hour.

It is like today, when in the Netherlands in summer mid day is at approximately 13:40 hours.

I guess they implemented local summer time (daylight saving time), that was introduced by the Germans in the occupied countries of Western Europe. That explains a 2 hour shift for Western France, using Berlin sun time shifted by another hour.

It is like today, when in the Netherlands in summer mid day is at approximately 13:40 hours.

Thanks, that was my guess as well. Might be worth to consider this for scenario designers, when setting daytime hours right for historical situations. 1-2 hours could make the difference between complete darkness and a nice sunday morning. :)

Great observation! Curious to know if it actually is intentional (no idea why it would be) or a legitimate mistake in coding. Looks like the light is projecting from the complete opposite direction it should be. The mismatch of the direction of the shadows from objects like trees going one way and the shadows of the surface terrain going the other way does make for an odd combination.

I watched out for a full moon in the early dawn hours, but couldn´t find any. Also, hours affected by "reverse lighting", appear only to be hours between 6 to 9 o´clock. Didn´t check dusk hours yet.

Ok, fullmoon light appears to be involved, but I´m not sure that the shadows effect for hours between 6-9, should have such a pronounced effect, making it look almost reversed.

I checked 20. June 1944, which should be no moon, but the pronounced effect ist still there, although somewhat earlier in the morning and night. "Light source" is coming from about "SW".

My guess is that this ambient light source was added, to make terrain contours better visible in (any) nighttime conditions...

Aye RockinHarry: do you mean the tree's shadow against the slope's shadow? The terrain shadow doesn't always looks right (as at 8 o' clock) but to me seems OK at the other times; as for the objects' shadows (trees, hedgerows, houses, etc.) they are a bit too dark, especially when seen from a distance (> num pad 3); if you get closer, they adjust their density and look perfect. This same trouble affects also the uniforms of the soldiers: sometime seen form afar they look like dressed in black.

But only for the terrain and not for the objects: isn't it?

Yes, it´s just terrain shading/ambient light, not object shadows. ...although I now noticed in the full game, that certain object shadows do not match others, like trenches.

Does anybody else notices the odd terrain ambient lighting in pre 9 o´clock morning hours?

Could Phil possibly give an answer to this? Still have no clue, if it´s a graphics engine "feature" or rather a GC driver issue. :(

I can see two issues. The first is that the terrain shadows in the earlier pics seems totally off. The one captioned "10 hours" also looks a bit weird. The only strong directional source of light is that sun. To that we can add bounced light from nearby objects and an overall diffuse sky light (which we have to thank for shadows not being completely black), To me it looks as though the trees shadows has been added to the terrain shadow as a multiplier. I'm not 100% sure of the angles, but it seems strange that the tree is casting a shadow onto the sloping face that faces away from it on the left

kbf1jc.jpg

Sign in to follow this