AAR GC Semi Final - Dragon vs Minty

the thought also occurs to me. I never played yoda and whilst I am 80% certain to lose this game I honestly feel Dragon is quite beatable. If not perhaps this time.

A rest though in this game.I'm overloaded with work and he is on vacation. autum 43, germans tidyinng up east of the don and pushing into caucusas before winter sets in. Americans quiet .... for now

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

right back in action after a mid summer break. Blimey I'd forgotten how bad it was. Dragon / Son of Terif is brutal.

Situation is fairly simple - As Rambo might put it "Buntas, buntas everywhere". Russia had gone from MAX army (max I repeat maxed out land forces) to almost nothing. Even his fighters (not TAC but fighters) are on such high exp they take 5 points off Russian tanks. Level 5 str 15 Deathstar panzer takes 8-0 points off soviet level 4 tanks in a single blitz attack ie AFTER moving max AND and with the JS1 entrenched. insane. So autumn has come and Russia is back to the urals in Oct 43 with about 10 million dead.

in positive news for the allies India is still holding strong and tying up lots of japs. india have no weapon tech and Japs have max but supply is a bitch for the japanese and USAF are under Slim/ mountbatten command pinging japanese morale.

Aussies have been island hopping with very little resistance (except landiing in indonesia which got crushed). Brunei is next.

finally Americans tip their hand. not ireland, not france or Portugal but they land huge forces and multiple HQs in west africa. Tech is maxed out, level 5 tanks , jets etc. Axis same but maybe lvl 3 or 4 fighters. Italians in a lot of trouble.

So 44 will be last year for soviets I think although it will take a big push from the germans who did lose 3 or4 tanks, a HQ, some armies and SF in 43. The question is simply what damage can the yanks do in the next year.

By the way hubert if you are reading. there is bug in 1.04 with swedish surrender/ reconquest. Russians liberated sweden but did not get swedish mines (and MPP) despite being unoccupied by axis (they stayed axis territory despite having no troops on and being part of liberated sweden) russians had to send troops to the mines to make then russian territory. Later Axis reconquered and immediately got mines back. cost me a couple hundred MPP overall grr :(

Who doesn't enjoy Luftwaffen Fighter units with +5 Experience nestled in a nice safe supply area? Playing Russia can go from "there's no way this dude is going to take me, units are all built, behind rivers, & it's snowing"......then comes Spring,"Holy crap, here goes those Tactical Bombers, with the Red Baron, with Mr. SuperTank plowing thru."

@Minty --- Let us know how that West Africa landing goes, because I'll need to try something different. My last couple games I went to France, and never came home.

LOL, many Allied games have the USAAF in India. Tried that against Hellraiser, poured in everything I could to India with USA on all levels. I got overrun by Buntas from the MiddleEast, it was a bloodbath of a loss for the Legend.

Nothing yet in west Africa as more yanks pour in. Canadian tanks roll up to Casablanca and shell a sub in port. USAAF pounds japanese in india but they still keep coming - str 15 armies can seemingly swat aircarft out of the sky. Winter sets in the Urals but Deathstar will just plough on regardless. Indian troops take persian oil then quickly leave as a major Axis strike force is forming there. no doubt to take India from the west in case the Japanese get stuck. Americans take Peru and Chile, liberating them from ..er . themselves. Nov 43.

In Africa, strong American associations. What are they exactly have before it makes you look at Headquarters but thought ..... Build sand castles or search for Wüstenwürmen?? Time will tell.:D

81.jpg

On the Eastern Front in the winter might be heard. Hardly any activities.

83.jpg

In India have shown progress may still be in good weather. The American air fleet was decimated and the first troops are at Delhi.

85.jpg

86.jpg

Rambo, oh the outcome is surely beyond doubt, only the timing and details remaind to be seen.

Feb 44. Anyhow almost 4 years after the surrender of the UK it looks like India will fall. Been really pleased with that theatre, on a shoestring budget with no tech for the Indians and nowhere else that the USAAF can really operate from they have held off the Japs for ages and tied down a lot of his units. even been able to laucnh some commando raids from there to the middle east which brought some joy to my otherwise painful game. Soon though the heavy japanese will be free to bring pressure elsewhere. Slim and Mountbatten are priceless units in that theatre, goes to show what a difference a higher rating HQ can make. Oh in case you were wondering India gets none of it's scripted units once the UK falls. I found out the hard way.

West Africa is going to be an interesting one, never done anything like this before so we'll see. it's a long way to Berlin that is for sure.

I love the Euros, they have passion, the Passion of the Bunta......Names like Dragon, Wolf, Amadeus, Manstein, PanzerBunta. Also become a big fan of British humor and muckraking news outlets. Wish I could have you all over for dinner, long as u dont smell like an SC gamer who's played for 20 straight hours.

Ah yes the smell of an all night SCathon. In my SC1/ early SC2 days when I was still a bachelor my flatmate bet me 100 pounds I couldn't ever go out and get a girl to come back home with me and play SC. sleep with me yes but play SC? Never

Now though in married with children world I'm short on time and this game may time out before we finish. Still early 44. I see Soviets maybe holding this year but could all be over for them by end of summer. At sea the massive USN fears no one and US army is growing fast and teched up but completely green.Africa will be interesting. can I knock spain, vichy france or Italy out before Germans turn their eye of sauron like powers away from russia and onto them? Exp level 15 units are practically impossible to fight against and hard limits mean germans alone outnumber USAAF in fighters. crazy. Never say die though.

March 44

Play it again Sam!

Manilla Ice Ice Baby

Yanks take both undefended Phillipines and Heavily defended Casablanca. Next turn they face an onslaught of Japanese Tac bombers... in Casablanca! That's right Jap HQs in Spain and Tac air operated into "Imperial" Vichy France then flown to Gibraltor. Sigh.

Phillipines won't last long as big jap army is brought into deal with cheeky amphib corp that landed but it distracts him for a turn or two. Russians are digging in but spring will bring pain as Fritz will cross the Urals. Sole russian corp are holding off hordes of exp japanese in Siberia and India is still the jewel in the birtish empire. Not for much longer but I didn't know the capitol transfer retreats to Lahore. Bought me a few more turns as I had units in production line that I could immediately reinforce with.

What a war! So it's madness over the skys of North africa. Yanks have entire USAAF there facing German Aces, Italians, Japanese, Spanish , you name it. USN mostly staying off out of range for now as Axis have carriers in the med and tonne of subs around, just sending a couple of ships to shell the coast. Casablanca has been liberated, recaptured and now reliberated again.

Yanks have lost a lve5 tank and a couple of infantry. Italians lost about 3 or 4 infantry, a big level 5 tank a bomber and a fighter I think. Germans lost a fighter too and maybe a corp or army but crucially the DEATHSTAR has arrived and at least 2 other Level 5 tanks of unknown exp. This is very bad news for Patton but excellent news for Zhukov.

In the pacific the yanks take a couple more islands including Iwo Jima. But of course Japanese woudl rather defend Madrid than their own homeland.

April 44. Urals are holding for now but will crack probably next turn.

June 44. American getting creamed in north africa by german heavies and rent an evil air armada from axis buddies. has noticeably slowed his russian offensive but they are over urals now....

If only america was building some kind of super weapon in 44. Something I could use in a year or so that would change the way war was waged and could strike terror into my opponents. No , that would be silly

Sept 44 and the wehrmacht launches a desperate all out offensive on NovoSibersk. Dragon has been steady and cautious for 5 season of campaigning in Russia but with the final goal in sight and perhaps only 1 or 2 more turns of clear weather for the offensive he throws caution to the wind and slams panthers, corps and planes against fully entrenched fortified units sacrificing thousands of elite germans units who are barely supplied against strong russian defence. If it fails, he'll have wasted his best troops for nothing and russia will be able tto hold on for winter giving the allies maybe one last chance to pressure him in the west. The entire russian capitol is surrounded by full fortifications with entrenched JS1 tanks and full aircover.

But it's not enough. The grey horde breaks through and bolshevik cause is no more.

Game over. We'll play on until the end of the month, a long overdue sea battle is required in the Atlantic I think but the americas were pushed out of West africa and are finaly meeting stiff resistance in the pacific too. too much war for just one major. sigh if only I'd known to garrison Manchester......

Pretty much sums it up. The Borg force fields which the Nazi tanks seemed to employ didn't help much. Pretty much my only hope now is Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen being time warped into 1945 in the USS Nimitz with a full deck of Tomcats. Even that might not do it.