How To Install Mods

Mord

Maybe I am a dinosaur... But, in case there are others who find the requirement to uncompress .rar files and then go to the Mod Manager to explode the .brz folder to see what mods one wants really time-wasting and stupid...

I find the best thing is after exploding a .brz file/folder, whatever it is... to create a new folder called the same name or a better name that means something you and copy the .bmp files into that folder... and use that folder full of .bmps in your Z folder.

For example I wanted to give some of my US troops net or net/camouflage helmets. It was SO much easier to simply compare the 3 or 4 folders I have that contain helmets in .bmp format than messing around with multiple .rar's and the rezexplode BS.

Hope that made sense.

The point/advantage of this is that when you have mods that may conflict or complement each other you simply have to open the relevant folder and compare bmp's immediately, without all the confusing (to me) nonsense of exploding multiple .rar files.

ie: Back to the easy and elegant way one was able to examine and select bmp's in CM1.

Hello:

Only have one mod so far - Bil H's gridded terrain mod. I have it in the Z folder and it works fine. But I notice it comprises 6 distinct bmp files. Is there a way to package those into one file?

I ask as if I later add other mods and they are also separate files, it would seem hard to remove one. Probably missing something simple.

Thanks to all modders.

Gerry

• 1 month later...

Have you guys not heard of Z-bee's mod manager (he posted in here) or JSGME??? They both work and are hella easy to use. Select which mods you want for a specific game or night and unselect the ones you dont. No moving files from the 'z' folder or any of that BS. Google the names and you will find them. Z-bee's you can find in the repository and do a search over at the MatrixGames site to find specific instructions on how to use JSGME. I use them both and can give limited advice.

Have you guys not heard of Z-bee's mod manager (he posted in here) or JSGME??? They both work and are hella easy to use. Select which mods you want for a specific game or night and unselect the ones you dont. No moving files from the 'z' folder or any of that BS. Google the names and you will find them. Z-bee's you can find in the repository and do a search over at the MatrixGames site to find specific instructions on how to use JSGME. I use them both and can give limited advice.

That's great news, eniced! I was wondering if/when Z bee would modify his MSF manager for this game. I didn't see any announcement, and I stupidly didn't even fire it up to check if it works un-modified for CMBN. I recall he had to upgrade it for one of the CMSF modules, so I just assumed he'd need to do that again for this game.

Where was the announcement??

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Say will they ever get a patch that will allow for permenant mods. For example when selecting different infantry types for the Americans, would it be possible to select Rangers instead of normal Infantry and get their correct displacement. I am just curious as to when they come out with the British.. will we have to download a Canadian mod, Royal Marines, SAS etc. Just seems like they can do this already and make it a selection in game. It appears that they would have the Germans squared away. However I really liked the fact that in their previous game, CMAK, CMBB you could select between Mech-Armd Inf, Waffen SS, Heer, Fallschirmjaeger, and Luftwaffe troops.

I understand that if you want different voice, tracers, brush, trees, tank skins etc. One other thing that I am not certain of, is that when they do come out with the Russian Theatre, will you be able to select winter, fall, summer etc? I would hate to have to switch between 2 different disks just to play a winter scenerio, then to another playing a summer scenerio.

It would be nice if Battlefront would take some of the best moders, incorperate them into the game, to allow for a more perfect selection of at least infantry in game, instead of the time consuming task of replacing files, all the time. In my honest opinion Battlefront games are the best as its modders, however I just wish we had some of the modding selections as actual game selections in game, instead of replacing other files.

Hi,

I have a really basic question. Sorry if this sound stupid.

I want to install different mods, do I have to put all the files into the Z directory or can I use subdirectories to keep stuff organized?

I've read that the Z directory "accepts also subdirectories", but what does it means exactly?

Let me make an example: I want to install Aris various mods that looks great. There are tons of them, and for each one there are 4/5 files to install. Now, I do I install them all?

a) I drop all the files into t Z directory... easy to do, but a real pain in the ass in case I want to delete some mods...

B) I create a path like Z/Aris_mods and in there I drop all the files (again, kind of a pain in case of deleting stuff)

c) For each mod I create a directory under Z. In this case how should I name the directories? Meaning:

c1) I can name them whatever, like:

Z/Aris_Sherman

Z/Aris_pantherA

Z/Aris_blablabla

c2) There's a specific name I should give to subdirectories.

Thanks, thanks a lot!

Ricroma

• 3 months later...

Could some one please put up an "idiots" guide to installing mods etc? i have read the "how to" posts numerous times and still don,t get it!! I can download them onto pc, but havn,t got a clue what to do with them after that, don,t understand all the "z" files etc!! Would appreciate any help, Thanks in advance,

Chocice .

Could some one please put up an "idiots" guide to installing mods etc? i have read the "how to" posts numerous times and still don,t get it!! I can download them onto pc, but havn,t got a clue what to do with them after that, don,t understand all the "z" files etc!! Would appreciate any help, Thanks in advance,

Chocice .

Hi, if you check your private messages i wil help you, save clogging up this thread.:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, that's the first time that I write here and I'm in need for some help.

I've never really understand how the mod directory works, there are some really cool helmets and uniforms mod down here and I like the idea of have many of them working at the same time but I know that they "override" or conflict eachothers, it's a real pain understand how to let them work smoothly.

For example, can I put 3 or 4 different mods of helmets (or uniforms) for, let's say the SS, and have all of them working at the same time and see all of them in the same battle?

If I put Heer and Luftwaffe helmets they will override eachothers?

Another thing that I haven't understand is "CM read first the z file" what does this mean?

Thx to anyone that can help me out understanding this :)

The z folder is loaded last when the game chooses graphics and sounds and such...so any mod in it will overwrite the original game graphics and sounds.

You can have as many helmet, and uniforms as you want, you just number them consecutively...ss helmet 1, ss helmet 2 etc. They will show up in game, unless you misname them.

Mord.

Kelte: You will definitely have to renumber most of the helmets - but then they will all show up (well, the system selects them randomly).

To renumber the helmets in the .brz files, you will need to use the Mod Tools' RezExplode utility and extract the .bmp's so you can then renumber them.

What I did was put every helmet in its own folder, then renumber them all so that no helmet mod name was identical. Then you can copy or move the helmet mods that you want into (for example) a "master" SS HELMET folder. That master (race) folder is the one you put in your Z folder.

The unused/unwanted mods, I put in a separate folder which is NOT in the CM folder at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to clearly understand how to install Mods in the z folder. I love all of Aris Mods and always down load his files into my data\Z folder. Some which I can see, some which I am not sure I do see.

What I am unsure of, is do I extract the file into the Z folder as folder named e.g Aris Halftrack Mod as a whole or do I just extract the contents within that file e.g m9a1-wheel, m9a1-track, m9a1-interior, m9a1-hull into the Z folder. I know it may be obvious to a lot of veteran users and modders of this game,but I am new to this seriers of games and just want to clearly understand the process

WHAT CAN I PLACE IN THE Z FOLDER?: Brz files, BMPs and WAVs, Text files, and any folders containing the aforementioned.

You can name the folder/folders anything you wish...I just name my folders by the vehicle...for example I have say, a Sherman II folder....I put the Sherman II mod in that and drop it in the z folder...actually I have sub folders in the z folder entitled CW Vehicles, German Vehicles and US Vehicles which I put all my vehicle folders into...that way I can switch them out easy or find them quickly, if I need to.

Mord.

Just want to clearly understand how to install Mods in the z folder. I love all of Aris Mods and always down load his files into my data\Z folder. Some which I can see, some which I am not sure I do see.

What I am unsure of, is do I extract the file into the Z folder as folder named e.g Aris Halftrack Mod as a whole or do I just extract the contents within that file e.g m9a1-wheel, m9a1-track, m9a1-interior, m9a1-hull into the Z folder. I know it may be obvious to a lot of veteran users and modders of this game,but I am new to this seriers of games and just want to clearly understand the process

I'm no Modding expert but through trial and many errors I unzip or unrar the downloaded file.

I end up with example an Aris Halftrack mod folder which contains a read me, preview files (sometimes) and BMP files.

That whole file I dump into zmods ...easy peasy lemon squezzy and I get the modded halftrack appearing as Aris made it.

Now I do not need to dump the read me file and previews in the zmods folder because it is not in game altering but just reference material. The BMP files are game altering . So for example if you do not like the way Aris modeled the m9a1-track and prefer the original (nuts I know) delete that m9a1-track file and the original track game artwork would by default show up.

Now if the downloaded file is just a .brz file you cannot do the above modification unless you use the utility tool (which mac users don't get) to explode the .brz into the .bmp files. So what quality modders like Aris does is gives us the exploded version for our convenience.

Clear as mud?

I still get mod problems on my mac such as sky blue gear and packs with ez's Gear and boot mod within the the uniform mod file. So I remove just that file and I have all the other mods except the gear and boots.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...