Sign in to follow this  
kazimiera

no Window mode support?

first Im from korean cant spell english well, anyway

hello, everyone

I have problem run BfN in window mode, Have had tried all I could things like alt-enter, add -w, -window command line in execution file, even run with third party program dxwnd, and others. but no luck

while searching on web, found CM is running with OpenGL, that make Dxwnd couldnt handle it, so... is there anyone know run Opengl aplication in window mode program?..

add window mode with upcomming patch would be really great and appreciate.

all I want is... and why I want Run window mode is..

CM series is really good and I want show my friends how it depict battlefield and how greatly done with, and not only show them how good it is but How to play it (most my friends complaining learnning curve is too deep .. eh.. too much degress(setence?))

yes that is the main problem, How I can show them?, Im usually run Streaming broad casting via internet, its kinda like realtime yutube, capture specific application window and broad casting it, and those programs require that application Should run in Window mode.

had good success with Close combat series, and Company of heroes(...), Steel Panthers, Armed Assault series and many other...

but .. CM.. :*(

now time is 2011 should alrdy this little funtion mightly be supported!!! Arghh

have a good day

Windowed mode will probably never be supported unfortunately. CMBN is an OpenGL application that needs to run in full-screen mode. I believe all of the other applications you've listed are probably DirectX applications that can work with the Windows GDI a bit more easier than OpenGL can.

If there ended up a way to support a windowed-mode, then I'm fairly certain that the graphics performance would be truly atrocious since it would involve passing the screen draws through the GDI at some point (as a guess). That can result in quite a performance loss.

Windowed mode would be nice. All what I want is map editor in windowed mode. That way you can use 3rd party tools like Cthrough and make proper overlay function. OpenGL ruins that possibility.

So it possible to to open map editor in window mode?

If it were properly designed, I'm not so sure that "performance would be truly atrocious". Laminar Research developed X-Plane 9 in OpenGL and it supports Windowed mode and runs on Windows, OSX and Linux (see www.x-plane.com).

Not only that, but their API allows 3rd parties to develop additional functionality along with more Windows. Looks great on my ASUS M50VM-A1 laptop with an extended screen. Oh, and did I say that the performance rocks?

Laminar Research is a very small company just like Battlefront.

Yeah, exactly, which is why I dug up this thread to complain about it.

I want to run MLB.TV and a CM battle at the same time, which I can still sort of do since I run the game on the other display, but this silly game still hogs the other display as if it owns it meaning you have to alt tab out, which of course halts the game and starts to jack up the game itself if you do it a couple times.

MLB and Battlefront, a match made in heaven, both still hanging out in the previous century. ;)

Well, in BFC's defense, not being a windows programmer I just looked up the specific thing Schrullenhalf mentioned which is doing 2D in GDI but having an OpenGL app.

It does in fact look like Microsoft managed to **** that up.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3687529/draw-over-opengl-d3d-with-gdi

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/558160-2d-rendering-with-windows-gdi-on-top-of-3d-opengl/

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/145276-Can-I-use-GDI-drawing-routines-in-an-OpenGL-window-(e-g-a-button)

I am unsure why Charles wouldn't use OpenGL for the 2D parts, too. He probably wants a bunch of utility and convenience functions such as for font and UI handling, boxes, buttons and the like.

Having said that, rending GDI into the OpenGL context currently works, in full screen mode (if that is what is happening). I am not sure how that is supposed to break in windowed mode. The links above seem to think this is problematic either way. So I'm really not convinced that the 2D into opengl problem is really the obstacle.

I also wonder what the Mac port does. Surely it won't use GDI?

So, you think you can window mode to work on a Mac? That would be interesting.

I mean I know this discussion is all academic in that nothing is going to change about it, so really it was just me complaining, which is why it's being ignored, I get that. Fair enough.

So I'll just let it go and move on. ;)

So, you think you can window mode to work on a Mac? That would be interesting.

I mean I know this discussion is all academic in that nothing is going to change about it, so really it was just me complaining, which is why it's being ignored, I get that. Fair enough.

So I'll just let it go and move on. ;)

I don't think anything, because I don't get how GDI can be the problem in a product that has a Mac port. Since I don't care to learn anything about Microsoft's homemade nonportable nonsense that won't change anytime soon either :)

This might be of interest. I managed to get CMBFN to run in a border-less windowed mode, using this free 3rd party app, so I figured I'd share my experience.

Here's where to get the app:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WindowedBorderlessGaming/discussions

How I got it to work:

1) Create a shortcut to your game. Modify the shortcut and add "-windowed" (without quotes) onto the end of the shortcut's pathway.

2) Start the above third party app, and create a new window. Define it's position and resolution.

Example: In my case, my laptop has a resolution of 1600 x 900, and I defined a window to attach to that was slightly less than that. So, 1550 x 890. That way I could easily mouse down and my task bar would appear and wouldn't be obscured by the game.

3) Using the shortcut, run CMBN, and load or start a game. Get all the way into it, like to the setup or orders phase where you can click on units.

4) Inside CM, press F3 to attach it to the window defined by the app.

Notes: Your mileage may vary, but in my tests of CMBN it's best to use a window resolution that's close to your machine's native resolution for the window or else your mouse cursor is offset and you'll find it hard to select units/buttons. Even with all this, the game did seem to respond a little better in non-windows mode.

Sign in to follow this