Is the myth demolished?

Isn't Zamulin one of the curators of the Prokhorovka museum? The Feldgrau website also suggested that George Nipe was soon to release his book on the battle and Chris Lawrence (title unknown) and Lloyd Clark ("Battle of the Tanks") were soon to release books on the entire battle. So lots of goodies for Kursk fans, how good they all are though is another question.

I have my eye on Zamulins book too. It is mainly written from the Russian perspective, isn't it? That is why I hesitate. I'm afraid it is the same style as David Glantz, which is pretty unreadable for me. Too dry and too much facts. I think I'll wait for Nipes book.

Well, the myth is already demolished a long time ago. The myth about Prokhorovka, T-34s ramming Tigers, that sort of nonsense. To be honest I think Kursk is getting a bit too much attention.

Personally I'm more interested in books like this one. It's about the Oder-front 1945, a period which isn't as well covered as Kursk.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1906033870

From reading the reviews/intros it seems as though the book is destroying the original myth (tanks charging like knights) but also the revisionist arguments portraying the battle as Russian blundering, leading to a turkey shoot.

Don't forget the Sicily offensive causing a premature end, not the massive, planned Soviet counter operation to the North. Before I derail my own thread and lead a blood trail for the 'they had the best tanks/uniforms/tactical doctrine/LMGs they should have/could have won' brigade, I will now remain silent until I/someone else actually reads the book and comments on its findings.

Aragorn, oh yes myths are impossible to kill because they appeal to the heart, not the head, speak of hopes not facts and yet often contain grains of truth.

Don't forget the Sicily offensive causing a premature end, not the massive, planned Soviet counter operation to the North. Before I derail my own thread and lead a blood trail for the 'they had the best tanks/uniforms/tactical doctrine/LMGs they should have/could have won' brigade, I will now remain silent until I/someone else actually reads the book and comments on its findings.

Aragorn, oh yes myths are impossible to kill because they appeal to the heart, not the head, speak of hopes not facts and yet often contain grains of truth.

They had the best bondage gear!!! They should have won!!! BAWWWW!!!

Yup, just got back from the local bookshop where I flicked through "Blitzkrieg No Longer", printed in 2010 it claimed in the Summer of 1944 German machine gunners mowed down thousands of Soviet soldiers who "shouted Urah and charged, often with linked arms and often drunk on vodka! So, if BF ever get to do the Bagration module I want an animation for intoxicated Slavic pixel hordes!

Not the battle of this topic I know, but has anyone read Osprey 'Campaign 189: Sevastopol 1942: Von Manstein's Triumph (Campaign)'? Reviews on amazon are promising.

I'm always looking for more stuff on the Crimean campaign. Right now my primary references are Manstein's memoirs, Tieke's 'The Caucasus and the Oil', Bidermann's 'In Deadly Combat', Jentz 'Panzer Truppen' and various translated Russian stuff on the web here and there.

That book has not yet been released in the Amazon US yet. I wonder why Amazon UK has it. They have pushed back the release dates several times already.

Probably because it's published (in the English language at least) by Helion who are a UK publishing house. Got mine a few weeks ago, will take me about a year to get through at the rate I read - over 600pp!

Looks very comprehensive.

LS

That book has not yet been released in the Amazon US yet. I wonder why Amazon UK has it. They have pushed back the release dates several times already.

Only another month. But it will be $$expensive$$! I have to wonder if it will be worth the price. They have a used copy listed at $999, and the standard hardback will be $44.07.

Michael