Sign in to follow this  
RobVarak

Is this video card update worth the hassle?

Currently running a GeForce 8600GT on my decidedly non-gaming PC, which has a 2.4ghz Intel Core2 Quad chipset.

I have the opportunity to grab a Radeon 4650 very, very cheap. My questions is whether this is an upgrade worthy of the time and hassle?

If not, is there a graphics card upgrade for this machine that does make sense?

I appreciate any feedback, guys.

I doubt the 4650 is going to do a lot more for you than the 8600GT, I mean it'll probably be just a bit faster, but I doubt the difference is worth the hassle.

As for the price, someone would have to give it to you for free to make it worth your time messing with imho.

Before you head down this path, have you tried running cmbn with the set up you've got?

Thanks. That's kind of what I expected.

It's running ok with shadows off for me now. It's not great, and there's some real issues with scrolling and some of the assets disappearing now and then. I should update my drivers though.

This is why I've become predominantly a console gamer :)

Also watch your power supply. You can't just blindly assume it can drive a bigger card. The 8600 is the lamest x6xx card ever, I was shocked NVidia even gave it that name. I wouldn't switch to ATI, though.

A cheap and low power consumption card is the Gt240 which can be had for $40 if you snipe it with a rebate somewhere.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the help.

I updated the drivers on the 8600 and tweaked the settings as directed in the Nvidia sticky post and there's some improvement for sure.

Sign in to follow this