Sign in to follow this  
normannobrot

info on "out of memory error"

I've read a bit more of the thread. I wasn't playing WEGO, my game was turn-based. The game timed into the red about 26 minutes before it crashed

Hetzer, WEGO is another term for turn based play (as opposed to real-time).

With a problem I seem to remember being endemic with the old series (CMBB etc). The crashes were fundamentally why me and my brother stopped playing those games

That's unfortunate. I can't say that my experiences with CMBO/CMBB/CMAK involved crashes like this or what you describe. But then again, I never really played those games single player for any significant length of time. Mainly played 1-2 PBEM files during any one CM session then exited out, so no really chance of any memory overload related crash occurring (or reason to suspect it would). If the majority of players played like I did, then I can see how such a dormant problem might never be detected.

A game that crashes randomly and without warning is simply not viable.

I wouldn't describe the problem I am seeing as random. I am sure if you follow my tips a few pages back on how to monitor the memory usage via Task Manger while playing CMBN, I am sure you will also find the steady increase in memory usage by CMBN each turn until it reaches a point where it crashes with the "out of memory" error. Predictable, not random.

No, it's to do with your operating system (and the hardware it runs on). Windows Xp simply cannot count further than 2^32. Doesn't matter if you use Directx or OpenGL.

im using windows 7 64 bit... i can have much more than 2gb of ram. its that the game only uses 2, not the OS. but like i said some people are playing the game with no problems so it cant be a ram problem, its got to be a compatibility problem with something we all have in common.

is the problem the same in turn based and real time?

I wouldn't describe the problem I am seeing as random. I am sure if you follow my tips a few pages back on how to monitor the memory usage via Task Manger while playing CMBN, I am sure you will also find the steady increase in memory usage by CMBN each turn until it reaches a point where it crashes with the "out of memory" error. Predictable, not random.

In that case it should be relatively easy to find and fix the problem? The programmers don't seem to think so though. However, if you have physically watched the problem develop and then occur I can't see any argument against what you say, unless what you've seen is coincidental to another issue that's the actual problem.

I think we need a poll, to try and establish just how many WEGO players are having this crash.

Edit: Forget that idea, polls don't seem to be available.

Is there any point in going over this, over and over again. The problem has been indentified and the BFC guys are on with it. Lets let them just get on with it instead constantly asking the same questions.

Is there any point in going over this, over and over again. The problem has been indentified and the BFC guys are on with it. Lets let them just get on with it instead constantly asking the same questions.

Agreed, and people need to read the whole thread before they post.

I'm incredibly disappointed to discover this game is apparently hobbled by being 32-bit only, non multicore and using a crippled API (Open-GL).

we are getting a bit off track, most games on the market now are 32-bit and single threaded.

Open GL is used by many games, including Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Il-2 Sturmovik.

CMx1 used Direct X, but early in the evolution, it was modified which had unfortunate effects on various aspects of the game. Around that time, Bfc made the decision to go with Open Gl for CMx2. This was discussed on the forums quite a few times and, IIRC, everyone thought it was a good idea. However, Bfc cannot predict how the future of Open GL or Direct X will evolve.

Furthermore, none of this may have any impact on your problem. I play CMSF and CMBN on a windows 7 64 bit OS and do not get these memory crashes. Let Bfc get the bottom of this, they know what they are doing.

agreed, lets try to keep this thread clutter free. HOWEVER it may be useful to post information about when we have had crashes to help the team track it down faster. that was what the thread was created for

agreed, lets try to keep this thread clutter free. HOWEVER it may be useful to post information about when we have had crashes to help the team track it down faster. that was what the thread was created for

That is exactly what we should do.

im using windows 7 64 bit... i can have much more than 2gb of ram. its that the game only uses 2, not the OS. but like i said some people are playing the game with no problems so it cant be a ram problem, its got to be a compatibility problem with something we all have in common.

is the problem the same in turn based and real time?

And CMBN was written when WinXP was still common and the 64bit was not. Look on your computer, how many games do you have that are written for 64bit?

And CMBN was written when WinXP was still common and the 64bit was not. Look on your computer, how many games do you have that are written for 64bit?

thats exactly what i said. you said its to do with the OS because xp couldnt count high enough, but as i said my os can go higher, the game cannot. but also like i said it dosnt matter that the game cant go higher because most people are running it fine with 2gb and the game crashed before 2gb anyway.

thats exactly what i said. you said its to do with the OS because xp couldnt count high enough, but as i said my os can go higher, the game cannot. but also like i said it dosnt matter that the game cant go higher because most people are running it fine with 2gb and the game crashed before 2gb anyway.

No, you said it was because they were using OpenGL instead of directx. I said that the memory limit has to do with the OS. When the game was written computers were running on 32bits, and it was impossible to write programs using 64bit, simply because you can't test them.

No, you said it was because they were using OpenGL instead of directx. I said that the memory limit has to do with the OS. When the game was written computers were running on 32bits, and it was impossible to write programs using 64bit, simply because you can't test them.

ah fair enough, i did wonder if that might be a cause. i take it its not then?

anyway to contribute to the original thread. i just started the training mission and got nearly to the end. when it did crash CM was using 1.5gb of ram.

ah fair enough, i did wonder if that might be a cause. i take it its not then?

anyway to contribute to the original thread. i just started the training mission and got nearly to the end. when it did crash CM was using 1.5gb of ram.

Makes me nostalgic of the days of the 8-bit nintendo :). I believe OpenGL and Directx are meant to render graphics, and have little to do with the system architecture.

I first started hearing about how to write your 32bit code to be portable to 64bit back in 1999 so it didn’t just happen a couple of two three years ago.

GhostRider - I'm working on diagnosing this problem now. If the problem can be found, and solutions come up with, it's very likely they won't be something easy that we can simply work out in a thread. I will attempt to keep you all updated as I go. So: keep an eye on this thread for updates from me.

Performance in CMx1 has very little to do with performance in CMx2. CMx2 is far more resource-intensive.

Sounds good Phil, I know the BF team will do everything to correct these issues. I will keep the faith, as they have never let us down in the past. Like all new things, bugs need to get worked out, so its all good.

I will just make smaller maps right now with maybe only company sized units.

Thanks for all the hard work you and your team put in.

I first started hearing about how to write your 32bit code to be portable to 64bit back in 1999 so it didn’t just happen a couple of two three years ago.

Won't work if they use third party libraries that are not written to portable to 64bit. And then there's the time and resource constraint.

ive finaly managed to finish a game using save / loads. brilliant game. just out of interest; people with the full game. how playable is it with this issue?

Windows 7 3 GB ram dual core 2.6 ghz

just got my first out of memory crash Medium map QB with approx battalion on both sides

memory leak?

Windows 7 3 GB ram dual core 2.6 ghz

just got my first out of memory crash Medium map QB with approx battalion on both sides

memory leak?

lol, maybe, although the word memory leak is debatable. there is a problem with something, but noones sure what. rest assured the BF team are looking into it.

on the tutorial mission (road to berlin?) it only crashed once and i managed to complete it. on busting the bocage it crashes alot more. like every few turns. its creating alot of corrupted saves as well.

Is there anything we can run while we're playing to help the devs with this? Tools or software or something, that generates data that can be sent after a crash?

Needless to say I also get this "out of memory" So much so that i can no longer bring myself to play the game. The same happened with CMSF, though i didn't get the problem as often, but it eventually made CMSF unplayable. Was i naive to think that i could purchase CMBN without having to put up with the same problem?

What worries me is that i recall reading lots of thread in regards to "out of memory" issues with CMSF, but i never came across a solution, whether ii be a universal solution or an individual one, so yes, i was very naive to think i wouldn't have the same issues with CMBN as i did with CMSF, so why should I hope that a remedy for the problem will be found now, when CMSF has had the same problem for nearly 4 years?

Needless to say I also get this "out of memory" So much so that i can no longer bring myself to play the game. The same happened with CMSF, though i didn't get the problem as often, but it eventually made CMSF unplayable. Was i naive to think that i could purchase CMBN without having to put up with the same problem?

What worries me is that i recall reading lots of thread in regards to "out of memory" issues with CMSF, but i never came across a solution, whether ii be a universal solution or an individual one, so yes, i was very naive to think i wouldn't have the same issues with CMBN as i did with CMSF, so why should I hope that a remedy for the problem will be found now, when CMSF has had the same problem for nearly 4 years?

LOL well that is a depressing post... Spending 60.00 bucks for the Tin case and everything.. I would hope they would have a solution. I dont remeber ever getting a "out of Memory" error playing CMSF...that was with Win XP, now I run Win 7 and even more Memory.. but I heard it only uses 2gb anyways.

So there is defenitely something running a foul. I was thinking it must be something wrong with the editor perhaps or QB as it seems this problem only seems to arise with either LARGE Formations of troops and equipment, or Maps that have lots of Forest or buildings... as I have been testing this the last couple of days. Running the scenerios from the menu, I get no Out of memory errors, even while playing the campaigns.