Sign in to follow this  
normannobrot

info on "out of memory error"

I would like to note here that the bug reported in this thread, the one I have claimed to fix, has been confirmed as fixed. General out of memory issues are being discussed here now, but NOWHERE have I claimed to have "fixed" them. THIS THREAD IS NOT *ABOUT* GENERAL OOM ISSUES, IT IS ABOUT A WEGO BUG THAT HAS BEEN FIXED. If you really want to bring up general OOM issues as a bug and claim all of my responses as germane to the topic, please start a new thread.

I feel I've also been very clear about the flag that you're talking about, Redwolf. No, I cannot talk about whether we use it. If something would help CM run better, however, I have been at the very least advocating for it.

The max size scenario you can play really depends on your machine..

Hello Phil, what aspect of my machine determines the size scenario that it will play? Virtual memory or RAM memory or what? I need to know what to upgrade. Or if my machine is already maxed out in those components. Maybe an updated min and recommended specs would help us to better fit our computer to the game.

Do NOT go out and buy more RAM. As long as you have enough swapspace it doesn't matter for out of memory conditions.

I don't know why Phil is so fuzzy about detail, I really don't want you to waste your money here.

Phil, a couple questions:

1) How is it that texture size/quality and 3d model detail have (in all the testing I've done) zero effect on a memory limit problem? I'm scratching my head as to how that could not be the dominant issue, much less zero difference.

2) When I hit out of memory, it's always on saving. And then when I go back and try to reload, I always have to go back like 10 turns to find a file that will load. If I was just hitting a memory limit, how could I have played through all those turns but be unable to load the save game for that turn?

1) How is it that texture size/quality and 3d model detail have (in all the testing I've done) zero effect on a memory limit problem? I'm scratching my head as to how that could not be the dominant issue, much less zero difference.

2) When I hit out of memory, it's always on saving. And then when I go back and try to reload, I always have to go back like 10 turns to find a file that will load. If I was just hitting a memory limit, how could I have played through all those turns but be unable to load the save game for that turn?

I've noticed that 3d model detail does make a difference once you get near the limit. Once your PBEM size hits 53mb or so, I find I have to turn down the detail as low as it will go, then I can get loads up to 54 and sometimes 55mb.

it is a matter of much pain...we have tasted the honey....and then we were told that the jar is half empty...but possibly we will be told that it is half full...which no matter cause we still have the half amount of honey we expect...

i wanna cry...no way of representing a defense line Battalion(-) with a counter attacking company against a valuable force (3 Battallions...i know it is almost a regiment, i know it...) on a map that allows fall backs and manoubring.

And now i have to forget about those scenarios i made while waiting for the pacth and start to investigate how many units my system is able to handle...but... will it be function of the size of the scenario also?... and the number of trees, bridges and houses?...and the number of flavour objects?

Do NOT go out and buy more RAM. As long as you have enough swapspace it doesn't matter for out of memory conditions.

I don't know why Phil is so fuzzy about detail, I really don't want you to waste your money here.

I'm not going to get into a tit-for-tat thing with you, Redwolf. I'm the one who sees the help desk tickets, I'm the one responsible for making sure my advice is good, and the one who has to answer to the customer if I'm wrong. Not you. If people want advice from someone who actively works on CM and knows what works for people who play it, they'll ask me. If I think I can answer, I do.

On a related note - these snide intimations that I don't know what I'm doing... they're amusing. If you'd actually read what I write you'd understand why I answered your technical question the way I did, every time you asked. I've got nothing against you apart from some moderate annoyance at your inability to stop asking an answered question. Frankly I felt that my one loss in eschewing GS was missing out on your feedback, but it seems to me that recently you've been less and less amenable to seeing things from other people's perspectives. I hope that changes.

Hello Redwolf, thanks for the tip. I increased the swap space on my new PC to 24000 meg which is three times the RAM that is installed. Is that enough? Its useless to try to play a large scenario on my older PC and its pretty good, 2.4gig processor and 2gig RAM,4000meg swap space(maxed out) and a Geforce 7600 GT which is in the middle of the required specs. Hopefully Phil will be able to give us a new set of recommended specs and an approximate max size for a scenario. I like to make large maps and am going to try my hand with scenarios but the first warning when it gets too big is an OOM error. It seems reasonable to me that the game should be able to play any size scenario that the CMBN editor is capable of producing. If I remember correctly you could only add up to a max amount of troops and vehicles in the CMX 1 editor and then it wouldn't add any more. Maybe the max size that the CMBN editor is capable of producing will have to be limited in a future patch.

Yeah it's mental that

This thread has gotten way out of hand and way off topic, and it's confusing people with legitimate problems, so I'm locking it.