Check in if you love RT!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's an influx of WEGOers since a ton of old CMX1 players have returned. CMSF seemed to have a bigger portion of RT players. Least guys that talked on the boards...as for me...I am a WEGOer.

Mord.

RT player here. I appreciate WeGo and enjoyed it with CMx1 but just can't go back to it. In single player you can still pause, which makes any size of battle manageable. In MP it adds an extra layer of tension, you never know when a platoon of infantry will pop out of nowhere.

I was really really excited when the 'blue bar' returned in CMSF and switched almost entirely back to WeGo for awhile. But Realtime's won me back. I couldn't stay away... even with my tanks blowing up on the far side of the map due to unknown causes! :D

I played the first 3 CM games and loved wego. I didn't think it could get any better until I got hooked on RT in Shock Forces. I keep planning on trying a wego in BN but in all honesty I played so much of the first gen and have so many fond memories of amazing moments from watching the turn multiple times from every angle that I judt don't feel like I have to revisit it.

RT is in many ways preferable over WeGo for me, but without replays you miss a lot of the magic. After spending some weeks and months with the game I'll most probably play mainly RT, but now while I'm learning and experiencing WeGo gives more value.

I agree LemuelG that WEGO shows the magic BF created. As a RT player of CMSF, CMBN has been played for me mainly RT but I think some of the subtle nuances of the game are best shown in WEGO. The proper management of forces is more effectively handled WEGO. It is super being able to handle both gameplay styles we have the best of both worlds. RT can be loads of fun if the forces at hand are not to massive so you can still be in touch with the action happening on our virtual battlefields. Cheers.

I prefer RT, but I like both tbh. It really depends on what mood I'm in. If I want to play hard and fast I'll play RT. If I just want to be leisurely and watch the replays ad infinitum to catch all the cool scenes, I'll go wego.

I prefer RT. This is the way I got hooked to tactical simulation many years ago (Close Combat), and never really got into the wego thingie, and believe me, I tried. I could see the beauty and scope of CMx1 games, and I was specially attracted to the mediterranean setting of AK, but I never got into turn-based gameplay.

It was not until CMx2 that I really started to enjoy Battlefront's work in its full potential.

Btw, this thread reminds me of the greatness and uniqueness of this CMx2 engine, able to satisfy both gameplay styles with a solid version of the game in both styles.

I believe RT players have an edge over WEGO players in getting better results from missions. RT players can instantly halt a squads if it becomes apparent that their running into an ambush or a minefied etc. Us WEGO players have to watch in horror as our troops occasionally run to certain death.

I am for WEGO. I mean to play plenty of pbems and I need all the practice I can get. I also usually watch turns at least 2 times to see things on different ends of the battlefield. Like a good commander I take the time to know my guys.

I've played some rt against my brother and its fun.

Wish there was LAN wego but I'm fine with mailing turns.

I find that RT works best for the smaller company size actions. however for the larger (battalion/brigade) scenarios, there is just too much going on to stay in overall control with this mode of play. Important stuff such as a troop or two of Panthers emerging over a hill can be overlooked whilst dealing with a situation in another area, and by the time you get around to dealing with them it is probably too late. WEGO (with the action played back a couple of times) does at least simulate SITREPs coming in (well, sort of) and I find that with the larger scenarios, it is the only way to go. No doubt some of you might disagree!

SLR

Since I'm playing almost exclusively against human opponents I'd like to ask the RT players how you manage to play the game without pauses. My preferred scenario size is around a reinforced infantry company with a platoon of tanks and support units, and there's simply no way I can effectively command that many troops without pausing. In a current 2500pts PBEM I have 28 units to control and I shudder to think commanding them without pauses or replay function. How do you guys do that?

Since I'm playing almost exclusively against human opponents I'd like to ask the RT players how you manage to play the game without pauses.

We play Tiny and Small, IE between 800 and 1300 points. Anything above that get's so incredibly stressful that it isn't any fun anymore, and small can be a bit much to handle at times too...

Generally, I prefer single-player RT with loads of pause, the best system in multiplayer for me personally would be TCP/IP WEGO or RT with pause.

Since I'm playing almost exclusively against human opponents I'd like to ask the RT players how you manage to play the game without pauses. My preferred scenario size is around a reinforced infantry company with a platoon of tanks and support units, and there's simply no way I can effectively command that many troops without pausing. In a current 2500pts PBEM I have 28 units to control and I shudder to think commanding them without pauses or replay function. How do you guys do that?

I don't pause and sometimes miss who killed who. A bit like it would be as a company commander... Have to trust the ai at times. I like it!

Bobo