A scenario review site?

Is there any interest in a scenario review site?

I can moderately easily post a site where we can post reviews, have the average review score posted etc.

This would _not_ be a site that stores scenarios. Rather, it would be one that has pointers to scenarios are reviews for them.

It would also be able to post the reviews back here as they are written, if BFC or I can find a way to re-enable this (at the moment it's blocked by a BFC security policy, it will likely take some head-scratching to solve this).

The risk is that I put the site up but no-one can be arsed writing reviews there :)

Personally, I'd like such a place, if it were populated, so I could go check out what others think about the scenarios on the disk, or posted elsewhere, before playing them.

Thoughts?

GaJ

Well, if a new one gets started, make sure it has a place to report scores so that a general history of how the scenario score results can be accessed. I love playing blind against pbem opponants but have a hard time finding out if the scenario I want to play is balenced well for both players.

Most sites do not have this available. I have seen list of results generated in the past but that was long ago.

I have noticed that most players don't bother to rate scenarios, mods, etc from the repository these days. It looks like it is 1% who do so. Seeing better numbers there would be an indication that the community is ready for that.

I do remember the Scenario Depot and The Proving Grounds sounds familiar to me as well. I believe Mad Matt had one way back when but I think that was mostly for his mod packs?

I just realized they both still exist!!! WOW... I don't think I have been to either since CMBB.

An interesting idea, but what would it offer that this site does not?

As much as I'm grateful for the repository, I find it extremely difficult to use. The sort functions are minimal (no sorting by rating, for instance), and only a handful of items fit on the screen at one time.

GAJ, I'd love to something like what you're describing.

As much as I'm grateful for the repository, I find it extremely difficult to use. The sort functions are minimal (no sorting by rating, for instance), and only a handful of items fit on the screen at one time.

GAJ, I'd love to something like what you're describing.

Yes, sort by ratings, sort by date, sort by downloads and so on. . .

Yes, a review site would be awesome, especially from a mp point of view. We had so many scenarios once NATO came out that being asked to pick scenarios was a chore if you wanted an opponent to also have fun.

It will be greatly appreciated if the number of scenarios produced comes close to SF, which it will.

1) Gary has said he's not in a position to do any more work on The Scenario Depot

2) I can see that to really be worthwhile, a site would need to be a depot (a place where you store scenarios) not just a review site. I can tell this because it seems to be what you guys were assuming I was proposing.

FWIW, this is the sort of review site that I can "template out" for whatever sort of product. It's a review site about stuff that is stored elsewhere.

I guess we'll just have to search the forums for reviews of CD scenarios...

GaJ

oo - update:

At TSD, Gary just posted:

As long as CM:BN is compatible with the layout that I have here then yeah, I'll get around to adding support for it

British Tommy commented:

I think more members should hit that Paypal button if they want to see a CM Normandy scenario section.

... too right.

For how many years now has Gary been supporting the CMx1 community with his massive site!? If you want TSD to support CMBN, go sign up, press "donate", and say "hi" in the forum.

GaJ

Don't know if I would have the nerve to post my scenarios to the Repository until they were play-tested by someone other than me.

I agree that the Paypal button at The Proving Grounds, with a quick "heya.. great site.. please add CMBN" on the forums is the best overall solution.

I don't think The Repository is the place to put the learning curve versions of scenarios and QB maps. ;)

---

Wow....a few years since I posted on BFC. Hey ya'all! Dorosh pointed me over here saying that my ears may be ringing (ok, not his words, but same reason).

I'd love to move on to the next gen of CM and make a site (or update the existing sites) that supports CM:BN aka CMx2 scenarios. I enjoy chatting with fans of the game and the initial work was a labor of love for me as I loved playing the games; CMBO, CMBB and CMAK. Thus far however, I've only had a brief time with CM:BN so I'm not sure what it would take to make a site that was compatible with it. I'm also unsure if such a site is needed if BFC - the makers of the game - already support scenario uploading. Sure, I'd offer reviews, and sorting by various variables and well, all the other stuff that TPG2/TPG offer now but it is a lot of work. I guess I'm fishing for some "do it, do it!!!" type of praise :) First though, I need to purchase the game - what if I don't like it? :)