Partial Destruction

I've noticed a few times, especially where 76mm cannons are challenging Tiger tanks, that partial penetrations either "destroy" or "knock out" the vehicle. I don't have any experience in a tank outside of a museum but how is this possible, is their some greater behind-armor effect that I'm not aware of that would allow a non-penetrating round to "destroy" a tank.

Also, what exactly is the difference between knocked out and destroyed in a game sense anyway?

Well, any hit on a tank with some HE (and there usually is HE in AP) gives a big bang. So internal armor flaking or just the concussion might injure some crew members and thus persuade the crew to leave. A partial penetration might also see some HE delivered into the tank - enough to destroy critical assets.

"Knocked out" or "destroyed" does not necessarily mean the tank is damaged beyond repair (or: TWO, total write-off). It probably just means the crew won't enter the tank again before something outside CMx2's scope happens.

Destroyed means that the vehicle is permanently unusable. Knocked Out could be very little or no damage (like the guts of a crew mate splattered all over the interior) or a lot of damage that can still be repaired, but either way the crew has decided that there is no point in returning to that vehicle for the time being, unlike if they had just dismounted from it.