Hiding with cover arc

Not sure if this is how it should work. I had a platoon hiding with a short cover arc, to try an ambush an enemy platoon HQ. They never fired against the platoon that stepped through the boccage gap I was covering with my arc. My platoon had voice and view of it command.

Yes, I've seen this too.

In CM1, I remember hiding Tank Hunter teams in buildings, whereupon they would attack armour coming into range, before returning to a hidden state to avoid detection.

This doesn't seem to happen in CM2. I only use the hide command if I want to hide a unit, not as the basis of an ambush. Set an arc without hiding to ensure that an ambush works. If your unit hasn't moved it may have avoided detection.

this is something I would like to hear more of, as I recalled earlier a staff or tester mentioning the normal state of units was hide.. this makes me think that hide may be an actual state that is different from normal "hiding" that units in combat due.. explanation from staff please?

From what I have experienced, if a unit is in non-optimal terrain the members will 'naturally' hide/spot in rotation.

Put a squad in a house, they will stay upright unless under fire.

Same squad in a field... they are on their bellies even with no incoming fire.

The TacAI seems to take into account the variables of terrain and threat to determine status of a unit at any given time. If you want to ambush armor with infantry, don't worry... they will hug the ground all on their own until the arc is breached.

What would you do if a tank was rumbling around near you? ;)

The 'natural' hide state is still aware of surroundings. Prairie dogs pop their heads up from the grass now and then.

The 'command' hide means stick your face in the dirt and stfu.

Try a few variations on the theme, such as hiding everyone but the HQ. Least number of heads popping up.

In CMBB or CMAK units with "hide" spotted really bad. If they don't spot anything, they can't react to it. For squads hiding in woods or at night the first sign of the enemy often was incoming. CMBN is in line with that.

Hide means hide - not "take cover". In situations as depicted in CM - the enemy is already close - any soldier will take cover and hide as good as possible vs the eyes of the enemy while still trying to have some situational awareness. That behaviour is most likely modelled in CM.

Hiding makes sure a squad really keeps all of their heads down. Did you always stick your head out when playing hide&seek?

In CMBB or CMAK units with "hide" spotted really bad...

I believe this is still true in BN... I just had a squad 24m from a Marder, hiding behind one of a line of trees, with the Marder a couple of trees down the row, and they didn't see it until the Marder spotted them and fired a HE round at 'em :) Even though there was an AT team bracketing it with rifle grenades and zook bombs from the left...

This seems consistent with my findings as well - inf that "hide" behind a wall don't seem ever to look out. Tanks rolled right up to them then instead of firing at them they were so scared by their sudden appearance that they surrendered to them!

As far as my CMSF experience goes I have had no problems with using HIDE in conjuction with arcs to spring good ambushes. Not sure if this is changed for Cmbn, but I can't see why they would change it as it seems to work good in CMSF.

As far as my CMSF experience goes I have had no problems with using HIDE in conjuction with arcs to spring good ambushes. Not sure if this is changed for Cmbn, but I can't see why they would change it as it seems to work good in CMSF.

I've had the opposite experience. HIDE causes my troops to keep their heads down in CMSF and, as a result, perform poor spotting. I found more effective ambushes involved small covered arcs without the HIDE command.

Bob