Yskonyn

Some performance and quality tips for NVIDIA users

"That's what she said."

C'mon. I had to.

The card looks good. I hope I didn't bias you towards it, based on my upstream posts. (As they state, I'm going to grab some sort of 7950 soon. That one looks fine.) Note the power requirements, here: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1547&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

"2X150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required."

So, this one is described as needing 2 8 pin connectors up top. (The UK amazon page is horrible for not showing that part of the card.) Can you supply those connections from your PSU? Does your PSU meet the recommended minimum power of 500W? Also, the detailed specs call it a "2.5x slot" card. That tells me that the cooler extends beyond the metal slots a bit. You'll need 3 open slots for it to fit in your case.

It's a good card. I'd point you towards my Nvidia/AMD (<-- the same as Radeon) thread, here: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=111512

The outputs (what you'll plug your monitor into) should work. If not, adapters are cheap.

(I will note that Nvidia also has cards in the GTX 760 range that could meet your goals at the same price. I am not a fanboy of one or the other.)

(One more parenthetical: This card comes overclocked already, hence the "OC" in the name. It also has a better cooling solution, hence the "Vapor" in the name, to cope with the extra heat the overclock produces. Yes, you're paying for that extra performance. Meaning, if you don't NEED or WANT the extra performance, you can save some money by getting a lesser card in the same 7950 family. It's a good card. Is it what you want?)

A final extra bit. The card has 3Gb of memory. How is that useful? Well, look at your pixels. Each pixel is (probably) made up of 32 bits of information. (32 bit color is probably what you've got set up. Most folks do.) How many pixels do you have? well, it's easy: 1,920 x 1,080 = 2,073,600. Take that, multiply by 32 bits for each of those 2 millions, (like how I used the British "millions"? ;) ), and you get 32 * 2,073,600 = 66,355,200. So, rounding around to easy math, each full screen takes a bit more than 60 million "bits" of memory. Your card has 3 billion "bits" of memory available. (More or less. C'mon guys, he's new to this.) So, the 3Gb memory is very much more than you need at that screen resolution. (A card with 1Gb would be plenty.) That's not a drawback, I'm just bringing that out so you're an informed consumer. (Disclaimer: Bits and bytes are different, hence the "bits" in quotes. Memory is inflated by the marketing types by using base 2 nomenclature and base 10 nomenclature in different locations.) (Second disclaimer: your computer uses and handles more graphics information than what can be displayed, so, in your case, if you needed 60million bits per screen and only had 60million bits of memory, you'd be dead in the water. Just showing the relationship, not absolute requirements, of screen resolution to graphics memory.)

It looks like a very well priced powerhouse which should keep you upgrade proof for awhile. (I'd bet your mobo/cpu would be next upgrade and you'd keep the card.)

Too much info?

Ken

lol that was brilliant.. you are a very funny man Ken, never change. :)

update for you. I went to the local pc shop and had a long discussion with them. The upshot is this... with my current board I would see some(the card would be far too good for the board) improvement if I bought and expensive card.

In their opinion,I would see plenty of improvement(previous card 9800Gt) and save lots of money if I bought a

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NVIDIA-GeForce-ZT-61007-10M-Graphics-Memory/dp/B00ANGFYYI

i would imagine, all i need to do is to make sure is that i have 11inches of room within my box?

Ha, ha, ha, ha . . . If Ken didn't say it I would have. :D BTW thanks Ken for the info on the Fraps. It's interesting because the FPS don't seem to be the issue. What is remarkable is the FPS change greatly depending upon where I am on the map. If I have a large group of soldiers in my view the FPS sits around 20-30FPS. But if I'm viewing vehicles or smaller groups of soldiers then I'm getting 30-50FPS. But the lagging seems to be relatively constant no matter the FPS. :confused:

para,

Yeah, he's talking balance. I'm talking...ATTACK! ;)

If one part of your build is too powerful (or too weak) when compared to the rest of the build, it's out of balance. A weak part will choke you down and make a waste of the rest of your build. For example, if I build a 72 Terabyte RAM disk, liquid nitrogen cooled dual server processor gaming computer with a video card that cost $25 would perform like a computer with a $25 video card. I'd have wasted all the hyper-edge stuff.

The 7950 exceeds your CPU's abilities. Hence, my comment about your next upgrade being cpu/mobo. I'm sure you'd see plenty of improvement over that 9800T for far less than 200 quid. Didn't know what you were coming from or your goals. If you have 200 quid (no spiffy pound symbol on my keyboard) as your budget, and nothing else you want to spend it on, blast it on a video card. Your cpu will be your chokepoint. Significantly. :)

Next, you could buy a new mobo/cpu combo. (Don't know if you can reuse your ram. It depends on what you have and what kind of mobo you go to.) Now, if you just need a new mobo/cpu for your -next- upgrade, then the 7950 (or 760) would be a great drop-in card. About 200 more pounds would get your cpu to match the video.

That kind of alternating upgrade keeps the big costs down and allows you to keep the current harddrive/OS, power supply case, etc. But I'm not sure what your overall budget and goals are.

That GTX 650 is roughly twice the card as the 9800GT. See: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=575&card2=681

That's a solid recommendation he gave you. (However, if you later upgrade your cpu/mobo, then that video card may be a bit too little. A decent cpu, whether intel or amd, runs about $200. A mobo would run $60 to $200 depending on features you want. Add VAT as needed.)

It's fun spending your money for you! ;)

Ken

para,

Yeah, he's talking balance. I'm talking...ATTACK! ;)

If one part of your build is too powerful (or too weak) when compared to the rest of the build, it's out of balance. A weak part will choke you down and make a waste of the rest of your build. For example, if I build a 72 Terabyte RAM disk, liquid nitrogen cooled dual server processor gaming computer with a video card that cost $25 would perform like a computer with a $25 video card. I'd have wasted all the hyper-edge stuff.

The 7950 exceeds your CPU's abilities. Hence, my comment about your next upgrade being cpu/mobo. I'm sure you'd see plenty of improvement over that 9800T for far less than 200 quid. Didn't know what you were coming from or your goals. If you have 200 quid (no spiffy pound symbol on my keyboard) as your budget, and nothing else you want to spend it on, blast it on a video card. Your cpu will be your chokepoint. Significantly. :)

Next, you could buy a new mobo/cpu combo. (Don't know if you can reuse your ram. It depends on what you have and what kind of mobo you go to.) Now, if you just need a new mobo/cpu for your -next- upgrade, then the 7950 (or 760) would be a great drop-in card. About 200 more pounds would get your cpu to match the video.

That kind of alternating upgrade keeps the big costs down and allows you to keep the current harddrive/OS, power supply case, etc. But I'm not sure what your overall budget and goals are.

That GTX 650 is roughly twice the card as the 9800GT. See: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=575&card2=681

That's a solid recommendation he gave you. (However, if you later upgrade your cpu/mobo, then that video card may be a bit too little. A decent cpu, whether intel or amd, runs about $200. A mobo would run $60 to $200 depending on features you want. Add VAT as needed.)

It's fun spending your money for you! ;)

Ken

lol you are the fountain of knowledge as well as mirth :)

I am not going to change the cpu/board at the moment especially as they are working just fine. I have to cough up a big wad of money on my daughters new heating system..so I ain't going to fix something if it ain't broke.

I am happy to go with just the card for now and save some cash too. He seems to have given me good advice which you have backed up.

The 9800GT worked very well for 5 years and the GTX 650 is supposed to be better. So I am very happy and I have saved myself £100-£150 thanks to you and him.

Thanks for the help Ken much appreciated :)

You're very welcome. Saving for the daughter's heating? A powerful enough computer could do that as a side benefit. "Daddy, I'm cold. Could you please play more Combat Mission?"

You're very welcome. Saving for the daughter's heating? A powerful enough computer could do that as a side benefit. "Daddy, I'm cold. Could you please play more Combat Mission?"

lol now that's an idea ;)

First thing to do after getting the 760 up and running is to install nVidia Inspector: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

This program allows you to change your video card settings for any program or game. A lot of game profiles already come with Inspector, but you'll probably have to add the CM games to it. It's quite easy to add.

Once you have Inspector installed and a profile for CM created and if you're not happy with CM's performance, try the first post in this thread: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=114616. It basically says to limit your frame rate to 30 fps by changing a setting in Inspector just for the CMx2 games. It has worked wonders for me.

First thing to do after getting the 760 up and running is to install nVidia Inspector: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

This program allows you to change your video card settings for any program or game. A lot of game profiles already come with Inspector, but you'll probably have to add the CM games to it. It's quite easy to add.

Once you have Inspector installed and a profile for CM created and if you're not happy with CM's performance, try the first post in this thread: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=114616. It basically says to limit your frame rate to 30 fps by changing a setting in Inspector just for the CMx2 games. It has worked wonders for me.

TY Wally. I have Nivdia Inspector and I will work out the settings this weekend.

Barkhorn 1x, Duriel -

When I rebuilt my tower this summer (and changed over from an AMD to an Nvidia video card) a ton of this was discussed & analyzed.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/114951-analysis-of-rt-senario-loading-times/

BF uses and entirely different set of shaders for ATI/AMD cards, and combined with some driver funk, equals slow senario loading times.

A while back I created custom settings for the video card for CMBN, CMFI and CMRT and was about to do it now with CMBS, but discovered that all those custom settings where gone. Too bad since they helped performance a lot. Does anyone know if either updating the nVidia driver or running anti-malware programs and such can remove these settings?

I believe that when you install a new nVidia driver using the clean install option, you do lose your custom settings. I always save all of my custom settings in nVidia Inspector before updating the driver.

Edited by WallysWorld

Is a clean install the same thing as a custom install when updating?

Didn't know about nVidia Inspector. Not an official nVidia program from what I can see? Is it any good and easy to use? 

You can export and import profiles with Inspector, as well as directly setting them. So, set them in NCP, export with NI, reimport if you lose them. Never let loose the anguished scream of wiped profiles again. ;)

I have a nVidia GTX 660 without nVidia Inspector, have used it in the past but with recent drivers I find no real use for it unless you want to fine tune.  In the past I have spent endless hours tweaking FSX (Microsoft Flight Simulator X) which is no easy job beacuse of all the variables in a civil sim, weather, altitude, busy airports and a long etc. so it´s not new to me.

The new nVidia drivers let you configure your card in two ways, you can set global settings and then you can also set settings for each game installed. One recent added tech to the nVidia family is "DSR", which is some sort of oversampling of your resolution. For example, if you have a native resolution of 1920x1080, with DSR activated and set acording, you can have twice or three times more resolution then your native resolution in game. I havent tried this in CM so I cant coment but just for the record. You can activate and set DSR in the nVidia control panel under global settings, but make sure once you have activated to also check the box on the top tab under global settings. I bet youll have fun with this  B)

I have been playing around with my settings a bit and found that the configuration below works well for me. Iam not looking for perfection as for me this is a tactical sim, rather then a flight sim where you do look for eyecandy. My PC is in Spanish so excuse me for not typing it as you would see it in English.

-Multimonitor accelaration= One monitor only

-Antialiazing configuration= Controled by application

-FXAA= Off

-Antialiazing Mode= Controled by application

-Antialiazing Gama= Activated

-Antialiazing Transparent= Multisample

-CUDA/GPU= All

-Shader Cache= Activated

-Anisotropic Filter= 8x

-Texture Filter Quality= High Quality

-Texture LOD Filter= Clamp

-Texture Filter Anisotropic Optimazation= Activated

-Texture Filter Triliner Optimazation= Activated

-Vertical Sinc= Controled by application

-Triple Buffer= Activated

The rest is pretty obvious, and yes my spelling sucks  :lol:

Hope it helps.

Good care,

Red...out

Edited by red2112

Hi all,

Not the best of beginnings, but here I go...

I used to play the original CM games (1 & 2) and I thought I'd try again.

So based on some Youtube footage I took a jump in the deep end and bought the complete Normandy game.

Note I can run Graviteam Tactics at high settings, fluid c.60fps 1920x1080.

Now compared to this CM really runs like molasses.

Is any work being done on optimising this code?

Is this kind of performance the best I can hope for?

If so, it will be hard to justify my USD 100,- purchase  - dumb I should have tried the demo, but I know this game from when CM 1&2 were new so I really thought the game had progressed.

sorry guys. but I'm disappointed with my purchase.

Luckily I was able to find a setting that seems to be ok.

Although the frame rate of this engine is abysmal compared to something like Graviteam Tactics, with its big maps and similar detailed models.

The visuals are still fine and the frame rate is now "ok" min. 25fps while playing relatively smoothly so I can enjoy a huge battle without dropping into the higher teens.

Looks like I should have done my research on both counts.

780gtx oc model, 4790k w. 16gb mild oc running win7 64bit

Simulacra53,

Your general computer specs are pretty high. You shouldn't be having any issues. One setting which I found which was the single biggest help was to limit my framerate to 30fps. I keep everything else maxed out, and use a mid-level DSR setting. The 30fps setting keeps the game running smoothly. That was the key to getting a better experience.

I think it's called "adaptive vsync". I forget...and am away from my gaming rig. (You haven't mentioned your monitor resolution or refresh rate. If you have a 20", 1024x768 with a 24fps setting, versus a 34", 3840x2160 at 144fps, you'll have VERY different experiences...)

Simulacra53,

Your general computer specs are pretty high. You shouldn't be having any issues. One setting which I found which was the single biggest help was to limit my framerate to 30fps. I keep everything else maxed out, and use a mid-level DSR setting. The 30fps setting keeps the game running smoothly. That was the key to getting a better experience.

I think it's called "adaptive vsync". I forget...and am away from my gaming rig. (You haven't mentioned your monitor resolution or refresh rate. If you have a 20", 1024x768 with a 24fps setting, versus a 34", 3840x2160 at 144fps, you'll have VERY different experiences...)

Hi c3k,

Thanks for your input.

I'm running 1920x1080/adaptive (so normally 60fps)

And yes, if I run adaptive (half refresh) it will run more smoothly at max 30fps.

More smoothly meaning less difference between highs and lows thus a more fluid experience.

Funny thing is I installed the Black Sea demo and played one of the missions and just "vanilla" nvidia settings, and it felt a little more optimized than BN. Running improved/better from inside the game.

Still with all due respect to the devs, the CM 3d models look good, but the 3d engine itself is very poorly optimized.

I'm curious though to what extend the different CM games perform.

Black Sea vs FI vs BN vs ?