• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Yskonyn

Some performance and quality tips for NVIDIA users

One can go crazy "zeroing" their GPU. I tried Astocats configuration, and indeed the graphics looked great with not much changes in FPS. Not matter what I can't get out of the 10 to 12 fps range unless I change game 3D model, and 3D quality down.

The only observence I am certain of, atleast on my machince is this:

The Higher the quality setting for 3D models, the longer and better the DRAW DISTANCE.

The lower the setting for TEXTURES in the game settings, the less shimmering regardelss of NCP settings, but certain settings do help. Mainly the astrtropic filtering set to 16x

I've created a Reduced Shimmer mod which reduces the size of the textures. I think it looks pretty good. It's in the Repository.

Reduced Shimmer Terrain mod

- Chris

Thanks for creating Wolfe. I will give it a try as I must keep texture quality low at this point to get rid of shimmering all together. I like the colors of the Syrope CMSF terrain most, but if you unstauturated some from the stock that is a plus.

@Wolfe. Very nice! Smoothest terrain I have ever had. Zero shimmer even at higher texture qualities. I am still around 10FPS, but even with the textures set to lower qualities they still look better detailed with your mod. The colors look good too in the desaturation.

I recommend anyone with shimmer problems to give this mod a try. Even with turned up NCP setting I noticed a difference with, and without the mod.

Thanks! Glad you like it. I'm very happy to see how much difference this simple mod makes in the texture swimming. The textures BMPs in CMBN are surprisingly huge (some as large as 2048x2048). Once down-sized the textures certainly lost some detail up close. I had to dial back how far I took things initially; some quickly turned into a blurry blob. I think it's a decent balance.

I had hoped the size reduction might help some with performance issues too, but apparently not. The large textures went from 98MB down to 17MB, though not all are loaded on a given map.

The biggest problem I have now is the swirling moire patterns in textures that have closely spaced lines (such as plowed earth), but down-resing does nothing, and even cropping a texture only does so much; they're still prominent, unfortunately.

- Chris

Thanks! Glad you like it. I'm very happy to see how much difference this simple mod makes in the texture swimming. The textures BMPs in CMBN are surprisingly huge (some as large as 2048x2048). Once down-sized the textures certainly lost some detail up close. I had to dial back how far I took things initially; some quickly turned into a blurry blob. I think it's a decent balance.

I had hoped the size reduction might help some with performance issues too, but apparently not. The large textures went from 98MB down to 17MB, though not all are loaded on a given map.

The biggest problem I have now is the swirling moire patterns in textures that have closely spaced lines (such as plowed earth), but down-resing does nothing, and even cropping a texture only does so much; they're still prominent, unfortunately.

- Chris

Yes, the plowed earth stiill "swirls" but everthing else loks smoother. Not sure why I am not getting better FPS, but I think is is just my processor. One can't expect cadillac performance for the price of a toyota. So far the only tile that has removed the "swirling" from the plowed earth is the tile that is part of Flesh's subduded terrain mod. I am not sure if he loaded his mod to the repository as I downloaded it from a link he posted in his thread on the mod. If not in the repository, try a search of he CMBN mod forum to find it.

i see several comments about Nvidea GTX 285 here.. i am looking at upgrading to an NVIDIA GT430.. is that better or worse than a 285? how can i tell?

my sys is old, 6 years, an AMD3000 running winXP (pro) 32 bit (i think).

any info - or direction to where i can compare and determine if my system can handle such a card would be most appreciated.

Yes, the plowed earth stiill "swirls" but everthing else loks smoother. Not sure why I am not getting better FPS, but I think is is just my processor. One can't expect cadillac performance for the price of a toyota. So far the only tile that has removed the "swirling" from the plowed earth is the tile that is part of Flesh's subduded terrain mod. I am not sure if he loaded his mod to the repository as I downloaded it from a link he posted in his thread on the mod. If not in the repository, try a search of he CMBN mod forum to find it.

Thanks. I found it. The lighter shade of plowed better hides the moire, but it's definitely still there, unfortunately. I don't think it's avoidable when you have closely spaced parallel lines.

Sarge wrote:

Nvidea GTX 285 here.. i am looking at upgrading to an NVIDIA GT430.

The GTX 285 will blow away the GT 430. But your older system's power supply probably can't handle the juice the 285 would require. NVidia has a list of general specifications for their various cards on their website, and the card's manufacturer may have a bit more info on what's required.

- Chris

The GTX 285 will blow away the GT 430.

Erm. Let me rephrase that. In most 3D games the difference between the 285 and 430 will be fairly large, but in CMBN shouldn't be nearly as noticeable (CMBN seems much more CPU-oriented than other games). I'd still go for something better than a GT 430, though.

I have a web page that lists basic specs on video cards that can be helpful, but as I said above you'll still need to be careful to check it is compatible with your system (particularly power supply). For example these two video cards require 400W and 450W power supplies, but the listing also gives the amperage required to be delivered on the 12V rail, not just the overall power. So having a 400W P/S isn't necessarily enough.

EVGA GTS 450 and EVGA GTX 460

3D Video Card Specs

- Chris

all good reading... but sounds like i need to find a local tech. at least you've given me enough info to have an idea of what i need, and maybe follow conversation when i go there.

thanks a bunch!

FYI, there seems to be a bug with the installer which will bring up a "compatible graphics hardware" error preventing installation. It may not happen with all cards but it does for mine, a GTX 260.

FYI, there seems to be a bug with the installer which will bring up a "compatible graphics hardware" error preventing installation. It may not happen with all cards but it does for mine, a GTX 260.

I had no problems Ge force 9800

I now know why the latest driver will not install on my rig. I'm running what Nvidia calls "Hybrid" SLI. The new drivers do not support Hybrid tech.

Regarding Wolfe`s post

Which is better the (older)GTX280 or the (newer) GTX430? and by how much? as applied to CMN.

Also I have the GTX260-what`s this like compared to the above cards?

If you have a GTX 260 there's not much point upgrading to a GTX 280; it's not a big enough jump. The GT 430 would be a downgrade from the 260, especially in the memory bandwidth department.

Raw specs:

GT 430: 16 pipes at 700MHz; 29GB/s memory BW; 96 shaders

GTX 260: 28 pipes at 576MHz; 112GB/s memory BW; 192 shaders

GTX 280: 32 pipes at 602MHz; 142GB/s memory BW; 240 shaders

- Chris

I did, though. As I said, there is much less stuttering when scrolling over the map. It makes the framerate more smooth. But I guess YMMV.

I'm assuming you are the same Yskonyn that also uses Painter 12 and a G15 keyboard :)

I've reported that defect to the Beta testers forum. It's a small world.

John

Heh, that's a cool coincidence! Yes I am the same! :)

<shortly off topic>

It's Painter 11, though, not 12. And the student version as well, so there is no discount for me if I would want to upgrade.

I started a digital drawing course and got myself a Intuos 4, because I have always been mesmerized by (fantasy) digital (game) art. I would like to try my hand at it myself, eventhough I have no experience.

The drawing course included the student version of 11.

Heh, that's a cool coincidence! Yes I am the same! :)

<shortly off topic>

It's Painter 11, though, not 12. And the student version as well, so there is no discount for me if I would want to upgrade.

I started a digital drawing course and got myself a Intuos 4, because I have always been mesmerized by (fantasy) digital (game) art. I would like to try my hand at it myself, eventhough I have no experience.

The drawing course included the student version of 11.

Excellent. That particular bug is also in Painter 12, but it looks like it's Logitech's fault and not Corel's. Have you got any of your stuff online? You can check out mine at my website below:

I am running an Nvidia 8400GS (512MB DDR2 VRAM) it's the PNY model and has an on board fan (unusual for 8400GS's from what I understand) and I am using the latest 295.73 drivers. I am curious to know if anyone else is using a similar 8xxx series card and how CMBN performs on their systems.

Specs:

AMD Athlon X2 7550 @2.5Ghz (dual-core)

3 GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM

320GB SATA Hard Drive

nVidia 8400GS 512MB DDR2

I am running an Nvidia 8400GS (512MB DDR2 VRAM) it's the PNY model and has an on board fan (unusual for 8400GS's from what I understand) and I am using the latest 295.73 drivers. I am curious to know if anyone else is using a similar 8xxx series card and how CMBN performs on their systems.

Specs:

AMD Athlon X2 7550 @2.5Ghz (dual-core)

3 GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM

320GB SATA Hard Drive

nVidia 8400GS 512MB DDR2

I have a GForce 9800GT works fine no problems