Yskonyn

Some performance and quality tips for NVIDIA users

I have been trying to get rid of the annoying 'drawing line' when panning or rotating the view as well as trying to find a solution for the flickering shadows and choppy framerates (NOTE: I do NOT mean the jaggedness of the shadows, cause that is something we can't fix).

Note that my relevant system specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.7Ghz

8GB Corsair Dominator RAM

NVidia GTX 285 1GB with latest drivers as of 24.5.2011

Windows 7 Ultimate

DirectX 11, again latest as of 24.5.2011

My game texture and model settings are set to Best Quality.

The first thing to disable in the games' options is 'Anti-Aliasing/Multisampling'. We will activate this in the Nvidia control panel instead, which gives a much nicer result.

Then in the Nvidia control panel, make a new profile for CM Normandy and set the options as follows:

Anisotropic Filtering : 16x

(modern cards can handle 16x without any problems and it makes textures nice and sharp in the distance)

Antialiasing Gamma correction: Off

Antialiasing Setting: 8x

(see this link http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/07/04/aliasing_filtering/1 and here http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Graphics/anti_aliasing2.shtml for an explanation about MSAA and CSAA. Eventhough we use a higher setting (8x) it is one of a lower bandwidth. Forcing this in the card's control panel gives a much nicer result (at least on my card) than the game's setting.)

Antialiasing Mode: Override

Antialiasing Transparancy: Multisampling

(again a lower bandwidth option, without much -if any- impact on quality)

CUDA - GPU's: All

Triple Buffering: On

(Now this is an option we can debate on. Google it, but I leave it on, but if you do not use VSync then this option is obsolete)

Energy Management mode: Adaptive

Maximum Pre-Rendered frames: 8

(Setting pre-rendered frames keeps the image smooth at lower framerates due to the prerendered frames. This gives the impression of better performance when you have lower framerates, but this might cause input lag, which is very annoying for FPS games, for example. In CM:N, however, it reduces the stuttering of camera movement and the additional input lag is not noticeable).

Ambient Occlusion: Off

(But it already greys out on my system, because the game does not support it)

Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias: Clamp

(seems to be the best compatibility for most games)

Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: On

(dont really see what either option would benefit from as most games use anisotropic filtering these days)

Texture Filtering - Quality: Quality

(slight performance hit, but looks much better on most games)

Vertical Sync: Let games decide.

Especially the pre-rendered frames make a lot of difference in the jerkyness and stuttering of the camera control.

If someone has additional tips (or better ones), please drop them below!

Hope this proves useful!

Turn off the shadows. With shadows off I get 50% more fps. The shadow rendering is very very bad. It looks not that good and costs 50% fps performance. It is something to get looked at. :eek:

My system:

i7-2600k Sandybridge CPU

8GB Ram 1600 MHz

GTX 580 Twinfrozr

X-Fi Titanium

27 Zoll Samsung SyncMaster P2770

Thanks for the tips. I am trying them now.

I don't understand why gamma correction should be off. Wouldn't having it ON correct the gamma in a more pleasing way?

As far as shadows OFF, viisually it flattens the art out too much IMO. Shadows are a must in making something look 3d. I'll take the FPS hit any day.

You are correct Vinnart.

It was just the default setting and I didn't really know what it was for.

But indeed, gamma correction can be set to ON safely.

Hi Yskonyn, thanks for input. Are you sure the game Anti-Aliasing/Multisampling options actually are inhouse implemented solutions? I have taken that option rather for a kind of master switch, allowing or not allowing the graphics card's setting to be implemented. Anyway, I might be terribly wrong, but turning that to off produces a no anti-aliasing state in my game, even though I have created a profile in my Nvidia panel, just as you said.

I do have a slightly older card than you, a 8800 GTS.

cheers

Turning Shadows OFF isn't an option for me either.

Performance is quite ok as it is and I find the 'floating' effect of units and the lack of 'depth' of the picture with shadows disabled far more annoying than the jagged shadows themselves.

@Gurra, well I couldn't tell you how it is technically. I get the same edge smoothing effect when forcing the AA in the control panel rather than in the game and performance seems better. Maybe one of BFC could chime in, maybe I am suffering from placebo effect on that one? ;)

Antialiasing Transparancy: Multisampling = 1-2fps max loss

I did some testing and found 2x CP and AA(in-game) have about same performance hit. I think with MSAA and AA Gamma on using the CP 2x AA looks a very small amount better than MSAA/AA Gamma Enhanced CP with in-game AA. Going from 2x to 4x AA didn't cause any fps loss (maybe 0.5-1fps)... strange.

My system:

Q9650 @3.6

4GB mem

GXT 580 (latest beta drivers)

Vista 64

That would make sense... as well the image quality difference, at least in CMBN is not really noticeably different between 2x and 4x that I could tell.

Anti-Aliasing/Multisampling options ... turning that to off produces a no anti-aliasing state in my game.

I do have a slightly older card than you, a 8800 GTS.

Mine is the same; a GTS 250 running older 197.13 drivers. Anti-alias has to be ON within the game to have any AA at all. So long as it is, selecting the various AA modes (2x through 16xQ) in the NVidia Control panel works well. I run 8xQ and the only time the game drops below 25fps is with lots of moving trees (this is without shadows, which makes a big difference).

If you really want to get down into the nitty-gritty of AA selections on an NVidia card, try nHancer. It'll give you more options that you know what to do with.

I've compared some screenshots enabling both Aniso and Trilinear optimizations, and they seem to make no difference visually, so enabling them is fine (though any performance gain should be minimal). Clamping LOD also seems to make no visual difference, though again any speed difference should be minimal.

- Chris

I have been trying to get rid of the annoying 'drawing line' when panning or rotating the view as well as trying to find a solution for the flickering shadows and choppy framerates (NOTE: I do NOT mean the jaggedness of the shadows, cause that is something we can't fix).

Note that my relevant system specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.7Ghz

8GB Corsair Dominator RAM

NVidia GTX 285 1GB with latest drivers as of 24.5.2011

Windows 7 Ultimate

DirectX 11, again latest as of 24.5.2011

My game texture and model settings are set to Best Quality.

The first thing to disable in the games' options is 'Anti-Aliasing/Multisampling'. We will activate this in the Nvidia control panel instead, which gives a much nicer result.

Then in the Nvidia control panel, make a new profile for CM Normandy and set the options as follows:

Anisotropic Filtering : 16x

(modern cards can handle 16x without any problems and it makes textures nice and sharp in the distance)

Antialiasing Gamma correction: Off

Antialiasing Setting: 8x

(see this link http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/07/04/aliasing_filtering/1 and here http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Graphics/anti_aliasing2.shtml for an explanation about MSAA and CSAA. Eventhough we use a higher setting (8x) it is one of a lower bandwidth. Forcing this in the card's control panel gives a much nicer result (at least on my card) than the game's setting.)

Antialiasing Mode: Override

Antialiasing Transparancy: Multisampling

(again a lower bandwidth option, without much -if any- impact on quality)

CUDA - GPU's: All

Triple Buffering: On

(Now this is an option we can debate on. Google it, but I leave it on, but if you do not use VSync then this option is obsolete)

Energy Management mode: Adaptive

Maximum Pre-Rendered frames: 8

(Setting pre-rendered frames keeps the image smooth at lower framerates due to the prerendered frames. This gives the impression of better performance when you have lower framerates, but this might cause input lag, which is very annoying for FPS games, for example. In CM:N, however, it reduces the stuttering of camera movement and the additional input lag is not noticeable).

Ambient Occlusion: Off

(But it already greys out on my system, because the game does not support it)

Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias: Clamp

(seems to be the best compatibility for most games)

Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: On

(dont really see what either option would benefit from as most games use anisotropic filtering these days)

Texture Filtering - Quality: Quality

(slight performance hit, but looks much better on most games)

Vertical Sync: Let games decide.

Especially the pre-rendered frames make a lot of difference in the jerkyness and stuttering of the camera control.

If someone has additional tips (or better ones), please drop them below!

Hope this proves useful!

Tried these settings on my 9800GT and can't see any difference. I appreciate the fact that you have gone to the trouble to help us out though.

Thanks

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

The big 'cahoona' in my listing was the pre-rendered frames setting to smoothen scrolling and the AA setting to get rid of the annoying 'drawing line', really.

I added the rest to have a complete listing. ;)

The consensus being and according to NV CP is that this feature is for DX apps only and that the effect is minor.

I tried it out and didn’t see any difference.

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

The big 'cahoona' in my listing was the pre-rendered frames setting to smoothen scrolling and the AA setting to get rid of the annoying 'drawing line', really.

I added the rest to have a complete listing. ;)

The consensus being and according to NV CP is that this feature is for DX apps only and that the effect is minor.

I tried it out and didn’t see any difference.

I did, though. As I said, there is much less stuttering when scrolling over the map. It makes the framerate more smooth. But I guess YMMV.

Thanks to all who have left advice, and to Yskonyn for staring this most useful thread. With the setting Yskonyn explained it took all the idiot out of it for me as I am not all up on this stuff. With those settings I am getting the best visuals i have had thus far in the game. I have been having problems with fuzzy terrain when camera is locked to a unit. This has taken it out the most so far, but I still have to play with textures down to get the smoothest terrain. I do think I am getting slightly better with the 8xQ over 8X. My sweetest spot seems to be the same layout as he lays out and with game settings at:

Texture = Faster

3d Model = Better

Vert sync off

antialas off

GT430 1G ram

2.5 G RAM onboard

3G pentium 4

Windows XP

With all those settings I am averaging around 10 to 12 fps. With the lowest dip at 8, and highest spikes around 15/20. What would be the lowest acceptible FPS by standards? I know 20 is considered good in the game.

The biggest problem my system has in rendering the terrain smooth during camera lock is the drawing of the textures. The lower the quality setting the smoother they look on my machine. I am getting the best draw distances at this with my biggest hit being the texture detail.

In most games these days 60fps is considered the optimal fps. For CMBN I can tolerate down to the mid 20's, 30's and above are noticeably better, but under that I feel the "sluggishness" and lag is too great.

I use these settings to mostly maintain 20s and above.

My system: (brief list)

Q9650 @3.6

4GB DDR2

GTX 580

Vista 64

Nvidia Settings: (275.27 beta drivers (latest at time of this post)

AF: 8x

AAGC: on

AAM: Override

AA: 2x

AAT: Multi

MPRF: 8

MD-MGPUA: Single

PM: Adaptive

TF:AF: off

TFBias: Clamp

TFQ: Quality

TF:TO: On

TB: on

TF:AFO: off

VS: Use 3d app (Off in the game)

Game Settings:

Display: 1980x1200 (Desktop)

Vsync: off

3d model: Improved

3d texture: Best

Antialias/Multisampe: on

High Priority: on

Astro, Thanks for posting your settings. I am still alway experimenting. Presently I am at 10-12fps, but with good looking graphics. 10-12fps dosn't sound very good in relation to those figures you mention. You do have a better GPU, and processor than I though.

I was experimenting with the nvidia settings too. Now I get 28 average fps. lowest 19 fps and highest 47 with shadows on. Without shadows I have 35 average fps, slowest 25 and highest 60.

My settings are:

Game Settings

AA/Multisampling on

Model Quality: balanced

Texture Quality: best

VSync: on

Priority: fastest

Nvidia settings

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/settings1g.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/settings2b.jpg/

(The screenshots above are from my german nvidia control panel. But I think you can understand it very well) :cool:

With these settings I got ca. 6 fps more.

The really weird thing is I can jack up the AA to 8x CSAA and 16x AF and not lose a single frame coming from AA 2x AF 16x... hmmm, wonder what is going on... Shadows and in-game LOD (model) are the biggest factors, for me shadows have to be on and Improved LOD is my visual compromise "sweet" spot.

Ok I turned it all the way up to:

AF: 16x

AAG: on

AAM: override

AA: 32x CSAA

AAT: 8x (supersample)

Ok, even at these super high settings the fps hit is not that much over my previous lower settings, around 5-7fps, Also in the Nvidia CP you can use enhance or override and the results so far seem to be the same. If AA is set to off in the game then you won't get any AA regardless of what you set in the NCP.

The best way to get rid of the movement shimmering is to up the Antialiasing - Transparency to 4x (Supersampling) or higher, AA: 16xQ CSAA + 8x (supersampling) is when it really seems mostly gone.

Give the beta 275.27 drivers a shot, I'm noticing some improvement plus they fixed scaling. In some areas of a map I will still drop to low 20s but these areas are getting smaller and in other areas I'm maxing out at 60 with trees on full.

Give the beta 275.27 drivers a shot, I'm noticing some improvement plus they fixed scaling. In some areas of a map I will still drop to low 20s but these areas are getting smaller and in other areas I'm maxing out at 60 with trees on full.

I was going to try, but it looks like that driver is for only Windows vista 64bit,& Windows 7 64 bit. I am running XP 32 bit so I do not believe that driver would work for me.