Cmsf 2

Yeah, I have to agree with this. It has been my experience that many of the earlier missions made by the mission designers had the Red forces so handicapped in terms of experience and morale you really couldn't do anything with them...you just tried to make it as hard as you could for your blue opponant who had that big advantage in weapons, experienced troops and morale. Of course this was probably very realistic as we've seen in the recent wars.

With the later modules, there were more scenarios which had come out where Red forces became more on par with the Blue forces. The maps or terrain the scenario was based on was better, more defensivable, the Red forces better quality weapons and equipment, better experience and morale. I've fought some excellent battles to a standstill, if not eek out a victory in PBEM playing some of these as Red forces commander.:)

If you simply edit some of the old scenarios to make the red forces more resilient, you get a whole different fight.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think modern conflict with Russia or China is bad choice. It would be interesting, but how BFC will define vehicle characteristics? Can T-80BV defeat Abrams? Can it's armor defeat TOW missile?

That is always the problem with modern warfare, a lot of stuff is classified. I remember we had a lot of discussions while working on the British module on how the Challenger compared with the Abrams. However, I know BFC makes an effort to get things as right as possible.

Regarding the modeling of US v Russian tanks, don't forget most of the Syrian tanks in CMSF are various flavors of T-72s which are seriously outmatched by all M1 models. The T-90 is more of a match, in tests I ran it was more or less equal to the older M1 models in CMSF, but it was modeled on the export version to Algeria, so the model in Russian service is probably more potent.

Also some Beta testers from Russia have been added to keep the rest of us honest. They seem to think Russian hardware is the best in the world. :)

CMSF2 should be more challenging for the NATO side.

That is always the problem with modern warfare, a lot of stuff is classified.

I think I would almost rather step back 20 years or so to avoid that actually, a fictional cold war gone hot in the 1990's would be very interesting anyway.

I only hope that with CMSF2 they don't continue on from CMSF1 - disregard the entire CMSF1 story and start again with another scenario. The alternative is ArmA, which has completely lost the plot now :(

Also some Beta testers from Russia have been added to keep the rest of us honest. They seem to think Russian hardware is the best in the world. :)

Probably it isn't, as it is still "Soviet", not "Russian" :(. At the other hand, Abrams is also 20 years old... I hope that advantages of Blue vehicles will be realistic, not like "Abrams spot enemy armor in 0,5 seconds, T-90 in 1,5 seconds". Still can't forget Bradleys, that were destroying my T-72s in defensive positions. :D

ArmA is not the only alternative to CM:SF.

Oh no, I mean the way the ArmA series went with a fictional conflict (similar to the way that CMSF did) but then each game continued on from the previous one, so after 4 (?) fictional conflicts the fictional game universe is so removed from reality it's laughable, especially since they made up whole countries too :(