XO Teams

When the US joined the war, the battle-hardened Brits told them to concentrate on tactics and TO&E. Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding that led into the formation of Tic-Tac-Toe teams instead.

If the Commanding Officer gives a cold fart, then the Executive Officer is the new commander. Other than that they're just a few extra guys to protect the HQ or do whatever menial tasks you come up with.

You will find they make good follow up medic teams. Atleast that is how they were in CMSF. It's not like in Cmx1 where you could have a sqd, or team come into command if close enough to another HQ if out of command with its parent HQ. I liked the way cmx1 handled extra HQs in giving the player the ability to assign teams to them which is a more realistic use of flexibilty IMO., Not really sure how things are working in CMBN yet in that if anything has changed much from how CMSF made use of XO/s which was 'medic".

It's not like in Cmx1 where you could have a sqd, or team come into command if close enough to another HQ if out of command with its parent HQ.

You can do that, but the XO team is not considered an HQ until the the CO's HQ is destroyed.

You can do that, but the XO team is not considered an HQ until the the CO's HQ is destroyed.

I keep hearing that teams can be commanded by other HQ’s, but have yet to see it in the game with teams other than mortars. I just did a test. I put 4th platoon HQ in a place where it was out of contact with a HMG team. I then moved a platoon HQ right next to the HMG, and waited to see if any in command icon appeared under the HMG from the rifle platoon HQ. Nothing showed that lead me to believe the rifle platoon was now in command, and influencing the HMG team. Is it not supposed to show in command icon? Is it totally abstracted? What is to let the player know as with the red/black lines from Cmx1 that a team is attached to a rifle HQ and being influenced by it.?

What i am looking for is assurance this flexibility exist in much the same way it did in Cmx1, and how it does in real life. To my logic in the scenario I explained the HMG should have shown voice, and near sight command icons from being next to the platoon HQ just as the lines would turn from black to red in regarding a teams connection to a HQ other than its parent. If not in command radius of parent line is black. If at that time comes within another HQ's radius the line turns red to show now attached to the rifle platoon. If parent comes close enough again command then transfer back to the parent, and the HMG will lose red line to rifle platoon HQ, and show red line to parent HQ. I just want to make sure this is happening because the flexibility of adhoc command is what got the troops off Normandy in many cases. Flexibility of command is key to mirroring realty in this regard.

As always we must turn to “Band of Brothers” :)

Didn’t Winters assume command of Pvt. Hall on D Day even though he was not his parent HQ?

Didn’t Winters split his small unit in two at Brecour Manor (yes, I know it is spelled wrong:)) giving Lt. Buck Compton half. If Winters were to have died who would have taken over those men? Compton.

Didn’t Spears relieve Dyke on the attack on Foy?

Just a few examples of flexibility of command that we are all familiar with, and can probably recite lines from. This flexibility is what I want as a player. I thought Cmx1’s approach was perfect, only now it should show in command icons to replace line changes from adopted from parent. If I am wrong in understanding any of this please clarify.

Battlefront has to draw the line somewhere I am guessing otherwise everyone will be in command all the time and players won't be punished as much for keeping there forces organised.

But there are oddities. This is how mortar command works.

1st Plt Mortars is under voice command of 1st Plt HQ which is also under voice command of the Coy HQ. BOTH 1st Plt HQ and Coy HQ can call in mortar strikes.

1st Plt Mortars is under voice command of 2nd Plt HQ which is also under voice command of the Coy HQ. Only 2nd Plt HQ can use 1st Plt Mortar not the Coy HQ.

The Band of Brothers examples aren't good ones. D-Day airborne drops were exceptional and the troops just fought alongside whoever the found. Brecourt Manor was an action with about a squillion medals awarded so it hardly rates as a normal example of anything. And I doubt a Company commander being relieved mid assault was common either.

I thought winters was a platoon leader Winters so why he did take command rather than a XO when things got organised after their Captain did not make it.

I find it somewhat of a surprise that XO teams aren't 'command rated'. I would have thought that the CO's 'strong right hand' would be almost as effective at keeping troops motivated on the battlefield as the HQ proper. Sure, they might not have a radio assigned, but replacing a missing Platoon HQ seems like one of the functions of the XO, or bossing a secondary duty with units detached from elsewhere in the TO.

@akd, Thanks for clarifying. I tested, and it works as you say. Only Company Commanders, and above (assuming Battalion commander, haven’t seen him yet) can command teams. I think Cmx1 had it right with the flexibility of attaching a team to ANY HQ. This better mirrors the function of 4th platoon teams, and how they are deployed which is attached to the different rifle platoons as the mission dictates. I would like to see this realistic flexibility return. It makes no sense that the rifle HQ cannot command heavy weapons teams, and makes no sense that the HQ can direct fire from the mortar, but not have command over it especially if it is within voice distance. Again this is unrealistic in how teams are really deployed which is attached to a rifle platoon. I feel pretty sure I am right on this. I listend to Don Malarkeys Easy Co. book not too long ago, and he was weapons platoon. I am pretty sure he said they were shifted around within the company. But if I am wrong, Then I have misunderstood.

By the way I like your sound mods, and consider them an essential part of my mod package. Nice work, and thanks for sharing.

@Perigrine, my examples were to show the type of flexibility that exist in the real military, but you are right in that they do not explain 4th platoons function in the company which is as the flexible muscle. As I understand it, and if I am wrong i will certainly stand corrected, but 4th platoon does not go into battle as a group like other platoons. Their roll is to be the flexible muscle to be assigned to the rifle platoons depending on the mission. A MG team may be with 1st platoon one mission, then with 2nd the next, and then back to 1st. They are almost like free agents in away as they are not tied to one single platoon permanently. 4th platoon HQ is more one of an administrative hub for the teams, with the teams being commanded by whatever platoon leader they attached to for the mission. 4th platoons roll is based completely on flexibility in assignment.

Winters was made the XO back when Soble was still in command, and so was XO on D-day.

@ Womble, I agree with you. XO’s in real life are used much more than being medics which seems to be there best roll in at least CMSF. The fact that they actually take over if company commander is killed is good, and realistic. I do not think it would be too unlikely for an XO step in to offer leadership if a platoon leader was killed, but I may be wrong. Look at Winters, he was an XO for a time.

Now that is useful to know regarding the XO team becoming the HQ if the CO gets taken out. Does the unit change its icon as well turning into a flag and received radio comms as well? If so I guess the choice is keep them safe in case you do lose your CO team for redudant command capability or you can use them for extra firepower and medic abilities. Choices, choices. :)

When the US joined the war, the battle-hardened Brits told them to concentrate on tactics and TO&E. Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding that led into the formation of Tic-Tac-Toe teams instead.

Your posting privileges have been revoked for a week.

I must admit to using XO teams as recon elements occasionally. I'm trying to stop myself though since it's ahistorical and I like to try to play things relatively realistically.

I find the lack of a radio for the XO odd but I suspect that it's historically accurate since BFC do think these things through. However a radio would make them much more useful as a 'command' unit.