Quick Battle - Purchasing ??

I started a small Quick Battle and am trying to purchase a formation. Let's say I just need a rifle platoon and the minimal amount of HQ to support it.

It turns out that if I expand Infantry Battalion down to the rifle platoon level and double click on it, I end up with the entire Battalion selected. I can then go and de-select stuff, but not nearly enough.

When I expand any one of the battalions, the background for the contents is 'brown', and it appears that I can't select individual components from within there.

So, how do I select platoons within a battalion without taking the whole thing?

Thanks Dude,

That seems to be the *very* unfortunate case, however . . .

I can delete the other platoons, but can't delete the Battalion Headquarters HQ Team, the Operations Team and the two jeeps. I also have to keep the Company HQ Team and XO as well as the Platoon HQ. I can see keeping the platoon HQ, but the rest?

Furthermore, if I go with 'Suggestions', it would appear that I don't get all this overhead.

Seriously, someone has got to be kidding me here.

Thanks Dude,

That seems to be the *very* unfortunate case, however . . .

I can delete the other platoons, but can't delete the Battalion Headquarters HQ Team, the Operations Team and the two jeeps. I also have to keep the Company HQ Team and XO as well as the Platoon HQ. I can see keeping the platoon HQ, but the rest?

Someone has seriously got to be kidding me here.

Yes you can, but it won't let you delete something if there is still an existing unit without an HQ beneath it, e.g. vehicles, support teams, off-map indirect assets (which may appear at the very bottom of the tree), etc.

Best way is to work "bottom up" as you remove HQ subordinates. An example: if you want to keep just one platoon from 1 company. First delete all the other companies via their colored text names, any units in white text directly under the battalion HQ, then delete the battalion HQ itself (be careful not to delete the entire battalion, just the white text battalion HQ). Now "expand" the remaining company, first delete the other platoons in colored text, then delete any units in white text under the company HQ, and finally delete the white text company HQ itself. You should be left with just the one platoon.

Also, any undeleted HQ must have at least one subordinate unit.

p.s. using BACKSPACE to delete units speeds this all up quite a bit.

It does seem a bit daunting. I played around with it a little last night and couldn't get what I wanted with the allotted points. I know I will get it when I have the time to think it through, but it is much more complicated than the CMx1 system. Not a complaint, just an observation.

It's actually more flexible than the CMx1 screen and quite powerful once you get the hang of it. But it's not very user friendly. I especially miss the unit stats summary at the bottom. You pretty much have to be a WW2 OOB grog and just know how many men are in a US Pioneer squad, for example, and what weapons they carry.

This is one of those classic situations of where design follows function. You QB guys screamed at us for years about how you wanted tons of options. Well, you have them now :D The ton of options, however, requires a proportional amount of UI. It's about as clean as we can make it.

We did look into the possibility of purchasing "bottom up" instead of "top down". It was deemed too much work for too little need. There's a lot of book keeping code work that would be necessary to make bottom up work. I really do hope we can put the time into it, though, because I think it would be nice to have. Not strictly necessary, but nice all the same.

Steve

You pretty much have to be a WW2 OOB grog and just know how many men are in a US Pioneer squad, for example, and what weapons they carry.

Yeah, and it was never our intention to put the knowledge burden on the shoulders of the player. But the old CMx1 info system wasn't deemed practical so we instead used our development time for other things. We do plan on implementing a much more detailed system for the next major release.

Steve

The QB system is rather daunting. I don't think it's in an entirely bad way as it's pretty obvious that it grants great flexibility.

My first two thoughts were - Scenarios should be awesome with the choices designers have. QBs aren't really going to be 'quick' with how difficult force selection could be.

This really puts a burden on quality AI selection of forces if one just wants to jump right into a battle.

I found myself wishing I could just buy a platoon of infantry like I could buy a scout team, or an AT team etc... why not be able to purchase a simple leg infantry platoon without all the hassle?? As flexible as the system may ultimately be, it is quite unwieldy... especially compared to the SPWW2 purchase screen. That said, I love the rarity point system!

I found myself wishing I could just buy a platoon of infantry like I could buy a scout team, or an AT team etc... why not be able to purchase a simple leg infantry platoon without all the hassle?? As flexible as the system may ultimately be, it is quite unwieldy... especially compared to the SPWW2 purchase screen. That said, I love the rarity point system!

I agree with this. I also want to bump this thread as I was very confused about the QB purchasing until I found this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

This. Most definitely this.

This. Most definitely this.

I am not sure about the Americans, but with the Germans you can buy a company of Grenadiers. If you just want a platoon, buy a company and delete 3 of the platoons.

I like how the purchasing works, seems to try and be realistic with the forces you make.

Despite initially feeling totally overwhelmed by the options, I found that this new system really grows on you quickly.

Spend a happy hour or two choosing a well balanced force for a Medium or Large Battle and by the end, you'll pretty much have it down.

Nevertheless, you can speed up the whole thing a lot by getting the "Suggestion" and tweaking it - revive some stuff, delete others, add a truck or HT etc. - and if the suggestion is totally off bat to start with, you can just hit the button again. Very handy.

I am not sure about the Americans, but with the Germans you can buy a company of Grenadiers. If you just want a platoon, buy a company and delete 3 of the platoons.

One oddity of the QB units menu is that you can purchase German infantry by the company, but American infantry must be purchased by the battalion.

One oddity of the QB units menu is that you can purchase German infantry by the company, but American infantry must be purchased by the battalion.

Kinda feels in keeping with the situation on the ground though - how many books have you read that talk about "Kampfgruppe" formed of "Adhoc units"...

With infantry-only selected as the combat force, you can buy a company of dismounted panzer grenadiers. An entire PG battalion cannot be dismounted.

Pretty sure the same is true for the US Armored Inf Company.