Mines for newbies

I notice that players are saying that engineers can detect & mark mines. This is true for Anti-Personel mines, but not true for Anti-Tank mines. As far as I can tell there is no way to detect/mark an AT mine except by activating it!

I notice that players are saying that engineers can detect & mark mines. This is true for Anti-Personel mines, but not true for Anti-Tank mines. As far as I can tell there is no way to detect/mark an AT mine except by activating it!

Interesting. I'll have to check that out.

Marking mines takes forever. Marking mines when under any sort of fire, doubly so.

You still have to crawl through the marked mines to minimise the risk of detonation (Normal moves anywhere there's someone shooting atcha seem like ptruppencide to me). So marking mines under fire, then crawling through them takes twice forever plus a minute. Crawling through unmarked mines makes the chance of detonation quite small anyway. I think the circumstances when you'll want to bother marking mines are quite rare.

You can get rid of AT mines if the situation involves wire with AT mines under it (to discourage tracky wire-squashing) by Blast-ing the wire. This will sometimes ?/? often produce a 'sympathetic detonation' of some or all of the mines, usually inflicting some minor damage/suppression/pinning on the engineers operating nearby. Other than that, you find 'em by drivin' on 'em.

Each line of mines in the editor is an action spots of mines, so you get ten tiles.

Regardless that still only makes a very thin or a very narrow minefield.

I'm a fan of minefields being already well identified in most cases, they serve their purpose just as well or better if the attacked knows where they are. You can then have dummy fields too. Just buy some barbed wire in PBEM and tell your oppponent that all barbed wire has dense mines behind it, even if there aren't.

I am trying to test a scenario which involves mines. I have found a minefield by walking into with a squad of engineers. What I can't work out is how to clear/mark the mines. The engineer squad now has the "Mark Mines" command enabled, if I click on it it seems to want me to give them a location. As I am already in the minefield this seems a bit odd, but whatever direction I choose nothing seems to happen, except that the squad gets very tired after a few turns.

Can someone please explain how this mark mines lark actually works?

I am trying to test a scenario which involves mines. I have found a minefield by walking into with a squad of engineers. What I can't work out is how to clear/mark the mines. The engineer squad now has the "Mark Mines" command enabled, if I click on it it seems to want me to give them a location. As I am already in the minefield this seems a bit odd, but whatever direction I choose nothing seems to happen, except that the squad gets very tired after a few turns.

Can someone please explain how this mark mines lark actually works?

AIUI, you have to move to the mined action point. Obviously, that can be tricky if you're already bang in the middle of the AP, but most of the time you can issue a move order (which Mark Mines is) to the AP you're currently in.