Mines for newbies

Just a bit of advice after I was caught out.

Once a minefield is identified by a red sign after half a squad is killed by them, get engineers into an action square opposite the mines, then the 'mark mines' button becomes available. Use this to then target mines.

Caution needs to be used once the mine signs change from red to a khaki like colour, because your troops can still be killed unless they move through that area using the slow command.

This can be moved to a tactics thread when it opens.

Mines can be revealed in two different ways:

A) stepping on them :D

or

B) having infantry nearby. The chances are best if

1) the infantry is experienced

2) they are engineers

3) they are crawling or walking - lesser chance if they are hunting.

That wasn't really the problem, the real problem was that mines seem to be indestructible, at last I can't see a way to defuse them in this scenario. No engineers and the infantry can't walk around them, so they have to run through. Same for the tanks. :(

Out of interest, how do mines work? Is each individual mine in a field tracked (like bullets) such that if one goes off, it means there is now one less in the field, or is a minefield something like an abstracted area with an 'x'% chance of hitting a mine for 'y' duration within it?

Yes, you can trample them into oblivion. The sign will then turn green, and I think the chance of hitting a mine becomes lower as more of them explode. It's not a very recommendable strategy, however. ;)

So how the heck are you supposed to remove the mines on the second mission? (the one where you assault the bridge)

You don't need to clear any mines ever. Your engineers can mark them, though, after which they can be passed at slow or normal speed.

Thing is there ARE no engineers in the second mission.

And I didn't have any KIA or WIA's for the engineers either.

Any idea how large an area each little minefield icon covers? Is it just one 8x8m tile?

I think it says this in the manual, not sure though. But I do think minefields need to be more visibly noticeable. As it is now, I sometimes completely miss that my troops are even in a minefield. I figure the losses they're taking are from enemy fire. Maybe give minefields their own icon so it's very clear mines have been spotted. Also have the color of the icon indicate the status of the minefield.

Thing is there ARE no engineers in the second mission.

And I didn't have any KIA or WIA's for the engineers either.

Which "second mission" are you talking about? If you're talking about School of Hard Knocks, there is a full platoon of engineers to support.

Which "second mission" are you talking about? If you're talking about School of Hard Knocks, there is a full platoon of engineers to support.

I didnt get any engies in that one. I thought they were supposed to be reinforcements, I didnt see them though. Unless they are named other than pioneers or engineers. Ill have to double check but Im pretty certain.

edit: Yep, I missed em. But they would just have been mortared to death while trying to mark the mines I suppose. :)

That's strange, because I just double checked myself, and the Battalion's pioneer platoon is there from the beginning. Even if your pioneers took losses in the first battle, the other two squads should still be present. Anyone else seeing or not seeing them?

That's strange, because I just double checked myself, and the Battalion's pioneer platoon is there from the beginning. Even if your pioneers took losses in the first battle, the other two squads should still be present. Anyone else seeing or not seeing them?

I made an edit to my original post, they are there. Maybe it was just the pure numbers of units is why I overlooked them.

• 1 month later...