Sign in to follow this  
tardigrade10

system requirement clarification please

I'm rebuilding my computer and I want to purchase a video card that will be powerful enough to handle CMBN and subsequent cmx2 releases. I understand that the recommended system requirement is a "geforce 6800 or radeon x850 or better." But i have no idea how powerful these cards are. Or how they compare to ones I'm looking at.

So based on the above, or your experience, could anyone tell me if, say, a gt440 or a radeon HD 5670 would be powerful enough? Or would I need something like a gt460 or HD6850?

I have nothing functional now to test the demo on so I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

I'm rebuilding my computer and I want to purchase a video card that will be powerful enough to handle CMBN and subsequent cmx2 releases. I understand that the recommended system requirement is a "geforce 6800 or radeon x850 or better." But i have no idea how powerful these cards are. Or how they compare to ones I'm looking at.

So based on the above, or your experience, could anyone tell me if, say, a gt440 or a radeon HD 5670 would be powerful enough? Or would I need something like a gt460 or HD6850?

I have nothing functional now to test the demo on so I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

CMBN has most advantage from a fast processor. So the rest of your pc should be up to spec too. As far as graphics go, I have an HD 5770 myself (in combination with a Core i5@3,7Ghz) and the game is smooth as silk at best/best.

The Geforce6800 series is very old, at least 5 years or so. The 440 or 5670 should give you something nice to look at, especially with balanced/balanced settings in combination with a quick processor. The processor is also very important for the gfx cards themselves as a quick processor is necessary to process all the information from the gfx card in the first place. Without it, your new gfx card will be next to useless.

Finally, as far as computers go, bigger is better most of the time, so if you purchase a 460 or 6850 you'll be secure for probably the entire CMx2 line.

looks like i'll have to surrender before Combat begins..

if as stated the GeForce 6800 is 'old'.. then my GeForce 6600GT is older ~

my processor is an AMD3000 and i'm really not in a position to upgrade.

i can accept that as cause, but here's what happened on launch. a small window opened on screen, unreadable (CMBN opening?) then the small screen went black. After that i heard a click and my PC rebooted!

on reboot i got a Windows (xP) message saying a 'serious error occurred'.. and this is what was the info:

BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 857FE9F0 BCP2 : 85759CA8 BCP3 : F78B2CB4

BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb5b3.dir00\Mini051811-01.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb5b3.dir00\sysdata.xml

1 thing i did, was install the game to an external HD, while the launch files i guess, were installed somewhere else (?) in C:program files ?? does that matter?

appreciate your input ~

Sarge - The game can only be installed in one location. Was the installer on an external drive, run from there and the actually installed to the '\Program Files' directory perhaps ? If that's the case, then it shouldn't matter.

I can't tell much from that crash information unfortunately.

Your AMD64 3000+ and GeForce 6600GT should work OK with the game. It may not be real fast, but it should still be mostly playable.

Do you know what driver version you have for your GeForce 6600GT ? While the latest drivers may not solve every problem, it might be a good idea to upgrade to something newer if yours are quite old. The latest version for the 6600GT and Windows XP appears to be 270.61.

I don't know if possibly updating your audio/sound drivers may help too.

Do you know if you made any changes to the '3D Settings' portion of the Nvidia Control Panel ? You may want to experiment with some settings in there to see if the crashing can be prevented.

Also if your running anything else, you may want to close it down. You may also want to temporarily disable any security software you're running in case it is having some sort of conflict.

Sarge - The game can only be installed in one location. Was the installer on an external drive, run from there and the actually installed to the '\Program Files' directory perhaps ? If that's the case, then it shouldn't matter.

Your AMD64 3000+ and GeForce 6600GT should work OK with the game. It may not be real fast, but it should still be mostly playable.

Do you know what driver version you have for your GeForce 6600GT ? While the latest drivers may not solve every problem, it might be a good idea to upgrade to something newer if yours are quite old. The latest version for the 6600GT and Windows XP appears to be 270.61.

I don't know if possibly updating your audio/sound drivers may help too.

Do you know if you made any changes to the '3D Settings' portion of the Nvidia Control Panel ? You may want to experiment with some settings in there to see if the crashing can be prevented.

Also if your running anything else, you may want to close it down. You may also want to temporarily disable any security software you're running in case it is having some sort of conflict.

well well well... guess what? after the sys rebooted i was concerned to try it again, for fear of damaging the PC, thought i'd wait for a reply from BF, but in my anxiousness, i tried it again (this time i disabled that start screen tho) and voila ~ it launched! and it works!

altho i'm sure as you say it will be slow, in playing a 'small' QB, i have a battalion of US INF and no problem :) the trees and flowers even moving in the breeze! i've changed none of the default settings - so i have some room to play if i go to a med battle, but no doubt 'large' will be out of the question.

still i'm might happy.. the game is incredible. all this is with the original PC/video/drivers were updated at time of purchase, but not since - so even with a 6 year old system this magnificent program is working as hoped!.

thanks much for your detailed response~

"Sarge"

Was just wondering because I've got faster cards that I've no use for, was checking if they would potentially fit in your system, assuming you had a decent power supply that could handle one.

i have an AMD3000 with a 300 watt power supply.

i do like the GeForce line of cards, and appreciate your generosity, but i'm not sure i could put what you offer to good use :P

but much thanks anyway!

Sure thing! Just thinking out loud here. ;)

I think your power supply might indeed be the problem in this scenario in any event, because the GTX 275 is not all the power efficient and would no doubt over tax a system based off of just a 300W PSU.

But hey, it was worth chatting about at any event to see if we thought it would work.

Sign in to follow this