First Impressions (CM:BN Full Release)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throwing in my "great job, awesome show!" comment as well.

Really liking the game a lot, bringing back that old CMBO feel that got me so addicted so many years ago! Sure there is plenty of room to add on features/content and some tweaks here and there but really an excellent job! Congrats on a great release!

Splendid game! I love the depth of detail (greatly intensified by the many modders) and breadth of accuracy. As a new customer to CM who has graduated from the more traditional RTS games, I have found the game far more challenging than expected (is it typical to have a Tiger take me out during the Devon artillery range exercise?), but that has made my appreciation even grow more. Vielen Dank. You've found a new life-long customer.

Splendid game! I love the depth of detail (greatly intensified by the many modders) and breadth of accuracy. As a new customer to CM who has graduated from the more traditional RTS games, I have found the game far more challenging than expected (is it typical to have a Tiger take me out during the Devon artillery range exercise?), but that has made my appreciation even grow more. Vielen Dank. You've found a new life-long customer.

Whoa, say what?! I had removed the crews from those tanks. Must be the ghosts of Heers past! :eek:

I'm loving this game but I've had some pretty significant crash problems with it, including several BSOD moments.

What this game could use is an autosave feature. I just hit pause on playback when the phone rang, which crashed the program and I lost 27 minutes of the game.:mad:

11.3 should be the reason for that problem. Who'd have thunk that a graphics driver would prevent a program from cleanly exiting! But I've been doing this game thing far too long to be really surprised at what doesn't work with drivers.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Just to let you know, the problem isn't limited to Win 7 64 bit. I had the same problem with 32 bit XP (with an ATI card). Switching to 11.5 drivers solved the problem.

Chris

Yeah I just verified that the Tiger is uncrewed. Your Sherman must have been the victim of some freakishly rare accident. How odd. Or a totally awesome bug.

LOL probably ricocheted a shell back at himself. Eventually it HAD to happen. Another example of why not to scream bug based on a single incident. :D

Sorry, forgot the :).

LOL that actually was meant at you, the emoticon wasn't there but rarely does someone who is really claiming a bug call them awesome. :-P

It was intended more for the umpteen dozen posts claiming a bug cause something weird happened to them once. Yours was just such a great example I had to use it.

The game is BEAUTIFUL! Too bad the sounds are a bit.. uninspired and some of the sounds are directly taken from CMSF. Well, here's me hoping for the most comprehensive sound mod ever!

do they have separate files at least? one for the German side and one for the American?

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I've passed it on.

MrNoobie,

No, the sounds are't separated by sides. They are separated by weapon type, with some sharing of sounds. The reason for that is sounds gobble up a lot of resources and slow the game down (even if by a little bit). Therefore, we only have unique sounds when it's really necessary. For example, the MG42 has its own sound.

Steve

LOL probably ricocheted a shell back at himself. Eventually it HAD to happen. Another example of why not to scream bug based on a single incident. :D

It would have to be the million to one shot,(any terry pratchet fan can tell you the million to one shot Always comes off;)),there was a video on youtube,or maybe the us army's shock and awe video section ,where a guy was shooting a .50 cal rifle at a steel plate and it came back and hit him in the earmuffs!

Found it

CMBN comes closer than any other game I have seen to providing a convincing and satisfying representation of WW2 combat (or any other era, for that matter).

I have a few minor issues I'd like to see changed, such as some of the CMx1 and CMSF sounds, but I just watched the enemy AI crawl its infantry through trees and grass onto my flank, take fire and then run back toward cover and it was the most immersive 30 seconds of game time I have had in a long time.

Great job Battlefront!

Congrats Battlefront on selling out the Steel Boxes right after game release. I expect you didn't just pull a number out of the hat for the amount you ordered and that the figure represents some type of financial goal. Or you could have just pulled a number out of a hat... either way looks like business is okay.

Hello Everyone,

Long-time CM fan, but rarely post (this may be my first!). I didn’t buy the SF games, as I was waiting for this polished WWII successor to my CM.

I just wanted to state that I think it is an outstanding game and I appreciate all the hard work that the team at BF put into making this such a great product.

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I've passed it on.

MrNoobie,

No, the sounds are't separated by sides. They are separated by weapon type, with some sharing of sounds. The reason for that is sounds gobble up a lot of resources and slow the game down (even if by a little bit). Therefore, we only have unique sounds when it's really necessary. For example, the MG42 has its own sound.

Steve

I would love to see the sound options expanded out a bit. Question: if I make multiple entries for a specific sound type: explosion a 0, explosion a 1, etc... does that create a performance hit? Thanks!

I wanted to write a few words of appreciation but couldnt get my hands of the game, having a blast so far. Really great job, BF! Thx so much.

Like others i was dissapointed with your decision to move to Modern setting after AK, but seeing now the fruits of years of hard labour is so satisfying. I hope you guys enjoy your success as much as i do enjoy your work :)

First of all, let me say how impressed I am.

However...

1) On first impressions the artillery model seems too modern.

2) The short U.S. briefing for the scenario 'A Strange Awakening' contains no less than ten spelling and grammatical errors and was clearly written by someone whose first language is not English. In future, could Battlefront have all scenario and campaign briefings checked over by someone who a) is an English graduate and B) who has military experience?

3) I seem to recollect that you Yankee chappies pulled off a very notable feat of arms at a place called Saint Mere Eglise. For some reason this does not seem to have been included in CMN. If there are any scenario/campaign designers out there who are prepared to repair this omission, I am sure that they would earn a huge vote of thanks. Once again, great effort Battlefront and I await future developments with interest.

Tootle-pip.

SLR

Great game. I've got CMSF with all modules + CMA. Never played any of the CMx1 games although I used to be a big fan of Steel Panthers.

I love the way the gameplay changes with new theaters/terrain/TOEs. For example, the rather weak long range automatic fire of the US squads makes the proper use of the crew served weapons far more important. Also, the less accurate mortars and lack of VT fuses (for mortars) has forced me to change the way I use them entirely entirley.

Anyway, thanks for all the hardwork, the CM series gets better and better. Now about the CW module...