First Impressions (CM:BN Full Release)

Modules are expansion packs - eg. for CMSF there was USMC, British and NATO modules. For CMBN the modules will be Commonwealth (incl. Brits, Canucks, Allied minors, Waffen SS and Fallschirmjägers), Market Garden (it also expands the timeframe to September-October) and a 'Battle Pack' which is a new concept with no single common theme, odds and sods like 'Hobart's funnies'.

Modules require the base game, but you don't have to own them all - eg. you can skip the Commonwealth module and buy just the Market Garden module if you like.

Ah, thanks for the info.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I downloaded the demo with every intent to merely take a peek at the engine improvements and stick with CMSF until BFC revisits the next modern ops title, but this game is simply too compelling to pass up. The tools are here for skilled scenario designers to pack in tons of atmosphere and explore a wide range of small unit actions. This is BFC's most fully realized title to date and I have been having an absolute blast with the game thus far.

lowbocage.jpg

CMBN really shines at the platoon level. Probes and hit-and-run tactics in the bocage can be faithfully executed. Maintaining cohesion on the assault once sh*t starts going sideways is practically a game within itself.

mortar.jpg

Company and platoon support weapons take on a prominent role and can influence the fight in satisfyingly realistic terms. Rushing the hedge gap into the muzzle of an MG42 is a bummer, mortar exchanges are suitably unpleasant for virtual doggies and krauts alike.

soldatsk.jpg

BFC's dedication and passion for the subject matter is plainly evident. The visual nuances are a great leap forward and can be downright cinematic. CMBN begs the player to get in close and just keeps on giving - it's the perfect aesthetic compliment to the close quarters hedge fighting.

Best of all, I love that I can fire up CMBN, be immediately pulled into the environment and spend my time making the scenario unfold instead of fighting the game. BFC definately got it right with this one. Congratulations on a great piece work! Tantalizingly, we haven't even seen the really nasty stuff yet like Fallschirmjaeger, SS Mech Infantry and Montgomery's sense of operational art.

floorg.jpg

I noticed infantry bases get clipped when they are on the first level of "independent" buildings. The buildings seem to be separated from their foundations as well - perhaps the issues are related. What's more, that guy's body language is a bit...suspicious.

I guess I'll throw in my impression now that I've been at it for a few weeks: this is the best game I've played (wargame or otherwise) since cmx1. In other words, the best gaming in 10 years. I'll be filling up that steelbox with any and all modules (future games as well)...you got me with this one, BF.

However for those with high def screens (1920x1200+) the text is way too small for older eyes. There was a mod for CMSF that increased the text size. It would be nice if there was an option for larger text.

However for those with high def screens (1920x1200+) the text is way too small for older eyes. There was a mod for CMSF that increased the text size. It would be nice if there was an option for larger text.

+1. I actually have to play at 1024x768 and put up with the black bars on the sides because the text in the UI is microscopic on a 16" laptop at that resolution.

That resolution is fine with a big enough monitor, namely 24" for 100 dpi.

WOW!!! I just finished my first half a day with the full version of CMBN and I am still blown away!!! I just can't get over the amount of detail there is in this game. A buddy of mine that just came back from Iraq stopped by and I showed him the end of the Vierville scenario. He is an Infantry soldier, we both trained together at Benning, and he was instantly in love with the game. I let him play CMSF the other day for what was supposed to be a mission, turned into four missions, and hours of play. I think I have made another convert to the Battlefront way, and my own personal addiction is growing ever deeper!!!

In CM:SF I rarely watched replays multiple times. With CM:BN, however, it is a different story. I cought myself replaying this one little scene from one of my ongoing pbem games and ended up recording it with Fraps.

A duel.

Yeah, the game is awesome.

...and US tankers appear not to be very sensitive about squashing own dead comrades under their treads...

My first impression is good, I like the game a lot.

The only issue I could say is the fact that AI tanks seem to have a constant 360 degree vision, it doesn't matter what terrain I'm in, I cannot get a couple of soldiers to sneak up on one without being spotted almost instantly, if either crawling from 100m away through tall grass or steping out from behind a building.

The detail is definitely impressive and some of the new sounds are very exciting! I have a question why does the 37mm gun mounted in the stuart tank have a different report than the same gun in CMAK? Also, how do I get my shermans across these charming little bridges in the norman country side without the germans shooting holes in me?

That resolution is fine with a big enough monitor, namely 24" for 100 dpi.

I think that "fine" and "big enough" are very subjective terms. I also find the UI to be too small on my machine (21.5" iMac). To alleviate the problem I've switched from running desktop resolution (1080p) to 720p instead.

I've had the game for 2 days now and I have played maybe 10-12 hrs worth.

AMAZING!.. just as I suspected :D I read alot of the manual and realise how easy it is to miss so many of the little things that happen on an inf squad level, its sOoo good.

I'm so very intrigued by the AI for that matter, I get such a sandbox feel from it in the way they function..

Ive never seen it done as well in any other strat game ive played

Jeepers !! cant wait to see more !