Error TCP/IP

I got a new rig and after years of tcp/ip play on my previous computer with both CMBB and AK, i get an error message.

Error

Cannot open connection on TCP/IP network.

Im Running Windows 7,

I apologize in advance for needing to be walked through any technical changes.

Thanks

Kidd

Assuming that you're not running another application that is actually acting as the firewall (and thus you're using the built-in Windows Firewall). For Windows 7 go to Start/Windows Menu > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings (in the left-hand menu).

In the left hand menu click on 'Inbound Rules' and check the list to see if CMBB and CMAK are listed. You may want to scroll over to see the 'Protocol' and 'Local Port' columns and see if 'TCP' '7023' is listed or not. If not, then click on the 'New Rule' in the right hand window and set a rule up for either the 'Port' or the 'Program'.

Now click on the 'Outbound Rules' and do the same as above.

Assuming that you're not running another application that is actually acting as the firewall (and thus you're using the built-in Windows Firewall). For Windows 7 go to Start/Windows Menu > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings (in the left-hand menu).

In the left hand menu click on 'Inbound Rules' and check the list to see if CMBB and CMAK are listed. You may want to scroll over to see the 'Protocol' and 'Local Port' columns and see if 'TCP' '7023' is listed or not. If not, then click on the 'New Rule' in the right hand window and set a rule up for either the 'Port' or the 'Program'.

Now click on the 'Outbound Rules' and do the same as above.

Its all there.

It doesnt even allow the attempt to connect both Cmak and CMBB

Are you running another security program that has a built-in firewall ? Do you need to make changes to your router/modem's firewall to possibly "forward" the TCP and UDP 7023 ports to your PC's IP ?

Apparently CMBN will need both the TCP and the UDP 7023 ports opened.

I connect direct to the modem, and I dont have any other antivirus/security

i tried to find an example of this exact error message, and the only one i could find was someone who had a missing file somewhere.

I originally had the game on cd, but have downloaded from direct2drive for the past few years.

Both CMBB and CMAK have the same file versions for the TCP/IP files. This will be an 'OpenPlay.dll' file in the root directory of each game and then a 'OpenPlay Modules' folder with the files 'TCPIP.dll' and 'TCPIP.lib' in it. If any of these files are missing, then the TCP/IP functionality of the game will not work. I'm not sure if you'll get some other sort of error message though if they are not present.

As rune mentioned above, with the Windows Firewall (under Windows 7) have you added the 'Port' (instead of the 'Program') to the firewall to see if that works ? Of course disabling the firewall altogether should have a similar effect.

I'm not sure how the Direct2Drive patching works. For CMBB it will definitely have to be something that comes from Direct2Drive (if it isn't 1.03 already). For CMAK I can't recall, but it most likely may be 1.03 already too.

Both CMBB and CMAK have the same file versions for the TCP/IP files. This will be an 'OpenPlay.dll' file in the root directory of each game and then a 'OpenPlay Modules' folder with the files 'TCPIP.dll' and 'TCPIP.lib' in it. If any of these files are missing, then the TCP/IP functionality of the game will not work. I'm not sure if you'll get some other sort of error message though if they are not present.

As rune mentioned above, with the Windows Firewall (under Windows 7) have you added the 'Port' (instead of the 'Program') to the firewall to see if that works ? Of course disabling the firewall altogether should have a similar effect.

I'm not sure how the Direct2Drive patching works. For CMBB it will definitely have to be something that comes from Direct2Drive (if it isn't 1.03 already). For CMAK I can't recall, but it most likely may be 1.03 already too.

It seems all the files are where they are supposed to be...

It is 1.03 version

Ive tried both cmbb and cmak with the same results...

• 3 weeks later...
so i guess no help for kidd?

I would either find a local technical guru to help out or find a remote technical guru and have them examine your desktop using something along the lines of Teamviewer.

Really, the problem can be any one of a thousand things, and without access to your Desktop, would be saviours are just firing in the dark.

Oh, and did you try setting up a VPN using Hamachi?

Oh, and your new workstation probably has a different IP address than the old one. Did you re-program your router to point any traffic for port 7023 to the IP address of your new workstation?