Laptop purchasing advice

c3k

Ooops .... the other thing is the widescreen resolution 1280x800 (rather than the 4:3 1280x1024).

Look elsewhere herein from a learned treatise (from Schrullenhaft, I'd warrant) on issues with CMx1 and 16:9 aspect ratios .... no idea if this will be an issue for CMx2 or indeed other games, but I suspect the older the game, the more liklely it won't have 16:9 aspect ratio support, and the built in graphics card may not support any 4:3 ratios - the worst of both worlds!

I like the Acer :D

I recommended one to a friend of mine about 9 months back and it works fine.

You have to remember than none of these companies actually make any notebooks. There are about 5 actual notebook makers and with the exception of Asus they don't see directly. They make notebooks for Apple, Sony, Leveno, Dell, Acer etc.

%%

If you would send me on the road today and tell me to buy a notebook from my own money I would:

- See whether there's a Thinkpad with NVidia

- If not, see whether I can order a Dell

- If not, go to Microcenter and pick one of the "cheap brand" notebooks that are there life and in color. I wouldn't touch their Sony, HP or Toshiba with a stick, but I would consider Acer, Averatech(sp?), Winbook and similar

If it breaks, throw it away and get a new one.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

I like the Acer :D

I hate you.

If it breaks, throw it away and get a new one.

Ain't gonna cut a lot of ice with Mrs. Biermann.

I recommended one to a friend of mine about 9 months back and it works fine.

Originally posted by ramagel:

it's going to have a lot of downtime in my experience from about month 13.

These two statements are not mutually exclusive. tongue.gif

I wouldn't touch their HP with a stick...

Any particular reason why?

All the best

Andreas

HP seem(ed) to make sh*t for stores like PC World and for corporate drone use - nothing much for the clued-up end user. A bit like - and I hesitate even to use their name - Packard Bell. Ptoooey.

Perhaps rather than fitting little wheels to a desktop case, you could buy a suitable haversack ......

Hmmm,

I've been browsing the site of a place called "Killernotebooks.com" . So far this little boutique maker has caught my interest. I haven't seen/heard a bad review - yet. You can pick and choose screen sizes, processors, gpus (within limits, of course).

I'm also waiting for reviews on some more ASUS

products.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

Andreas, did you 'upgrade' the N100 to the '128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300' ? This option may only be offered with the highest end processor though (significantly 'upgrading' the price). However, if it is in the budget, the Nvidia would be a worthwhile upgrade over the 'Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950'. Nvidia drivers tend to be updated a little more frequently and have a longer support life compared to some of the integrated video chipsets. However if battery life is a concern, the Nvidia chipset will suck more power than the Intel integrated solution.

• 1 month later...