CMBN Screenshot Thread

What is it about PNG format that suddenly makes it so popular? It's wasteful to post 1.5 MB pictures in a thread like this, they load too slow. Use JPG instead, a 50-100 kB picture loads in a breeze even when there is a whole page of them.

What is it about PNG format that suddenly makes it so popular? It's wasteful to post 1.5 MB pictures in a thread like this, they load too slow. Use JPG instead, a 50-100 kB picture loads in a breeze even when there is a whole page of them.

I agree, lets make it into some kind of law :)

People discovered FRAPS and checked the wrong format :D

Sorry about that - I'd change it, but this thread doesn't have "Edit".

ok, that's weird, I can edit this post, but not that one...

Edit: @Other Means - no, they're right, the Jpg is 1/3 of the size of that pic. <hangs head>

A PNG is as compact, generally, as a JPG.

JPG has some copyright attached to it blah blah, boring browser/open source/proprietary software debate.

A PNG is as compact, generally, as a JPG.

JPG has some copyright attached to it blah blah, boring browser/open source/proprietary software debate.

Also, PNG is lossless and allows transparencies, which is why it is becoming the format of choice.

Very cool! Like champagne corks going off.

I wish the passengers would stay in the vehicle all slumped over instead of disappearing...or in the least lay scattered around the halftrack...

Mord.

I was amazed at how long the rest of the guys in the other tracks stayed in those things. They were standing up firing away and taking some pretty bad hits. This was the second one that rolled in and started firing away.

snap2114.jpg

PNG can also be saved as lossy, in which case it can be just as compact as JPG.

But if you don't use lossy packing, it will be much larger. Lossless PNG is useful for small, simple graphics containing text (like GIF before), but not so great for photographs or game screenshots because millions of colours bloat the file sizes.