[ANN] Free WWII Campaign Add-On To Strategic Command WWI

I quite agree with Abukede.

There is not one single aspect of this WWII game that is not playtested very heavily each step of the way as each one is added in. That's not to say everything will work perfectly upon release, but as a group we offer literally many hundreds (perhaps thousands) of changes, editions, alterations, suggestions, etc as we go.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is supply restricted for the Axis in N. Africa?

Alaric... I think each SC game is unique and fun. I can tell you that so far the new WWII campaign is by far my favorite. It is currently under heavy and I mean heavy playtest... content is constantly being added and adjusted to get it to the right feel. Hubert and Bill really listen to the testers and are fun to work with. Due to the size of the map the strategic options for objectives are really amazing.

Here is an example: Due to the extremely large front sizes on the East Front... you at times usually over winter agonize on where your enemies next main offensive dirve will be... you can tease your opponent at times into thinking you are going to strike in one direction when you hit somewhere completely different or if you are on the defense you worry about how to blunt the enemy offensive and or keep units from becoming surrounded as you fall back.

There are times on the East Front where no one holds the advantage and you have to be extremely careful not to make a mistake that tips it in favor of your opponent.

North Africa has a lot more fighting room... and the battle for the Med has much greater significance. Losing Italy can be catastrophic for Germany. On the other hand if Italy and Germany win control of the Med... very possible... the Allies can quickly get into trouble.

Great fun so far and with each week the game improves. :)

Supply in North Africa is affected by British control of Malta. If you don't like it as the Axis... you can attempt to take it... which requires a full combined assault including naval bombardment. The time it takes and resouces to take the island does limit your operations elsewhere but if you are serious about Africa then it is a worthwhile objective for better supply. A good time to hit Malta is right after you conquer France or in the first winter on the East. When playing Axis... I usually prefer to take the island. However due to the size of the map... and operations elsewhere you have to stretch your resouces to their max and leave nothing wasted. Supply in this game is critical. You really have to watch it as you can advance well beyond your supply and then you are vulnerable to counter-attack.

As to what Snow said about suggestions... Hubert and Bill are hit with them constantly... many are really awesome ideas but due to limitations on time and resouces not all can be included at this time. I'm sure there are days we drive Hubert quite mad. The beta team really loves the game and a good majority of us have been playing since SC first came out and we are all hardcore fans of Hubert's work... so I know he tolerates with patience many of our off the wall, wacky and sometimes engine changing suggestions. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Will there be any changes to the strategic warfare? Right now u-boats are mostly used to support naval operations, and strategic bombers are mostly used for recon. I would really like to see some useful strategic warfare options.

Sorry guys, it is taking a bit longer than we originally thought but only because we are putting in extra time and effort to make sure it is a good one.

I realize I am of course biased, but if I can speak on behalf of everyone involved, this is going to be a REALLY good one when it is all said and done and I doubt many will be disappointed if at all.

We certainly are getting closer, but a lot more testing is going into this than originally thought, and Hubert has also been busy making improvements to the engine to resolve one long standing issue of frustration that many players have often felt with the Strategic Command series.

This will apply to both the WWI and WWII engines, and it does of course mean that it needs a bit more testing, but it really will be well worth the wait. ;)

The scenario itself is really coming along, it's a lot of fun and it's playing very well.

The WWII campaign has changed drastically since we first started working on it. The joy to working with Hubert and Bill is that they actually listen. Honestly, I can not count the items, additions, scripting alterations, etc. that I’ve suggested that they have managed to include and or improve upon. (and I'm just one of many beta testers!) When you sit down and look at all of the changes, suggestions and ideas that have been put forward and included since we began working on the campaign it's staggering at how far we've come in such a short time. There is a lot of content in this game that you will not have seen before. :P

Having played around 15 multi-player games and around a like number of single player games I personally think that the campaign actually redefines the series and makes the campaign the premier strategy WWII game out there. I know... big words but let me tell you this campaign is a joy and at times a nightmare if you've planned wrong and the enemy catches you unaware. The size and scope of the map is awesome. At time you just sit there studying the map… thinking… “how am I going to pull this off?”

The invasion of Russia is daunting and as the German player everything you have done up till that point is easy as making cupcakes. You have to actually 'think' and plan out your attack well in advance and carefully... the Russian player has to do the same defensive wise... it's very tricky because the size of the front is huge and you don't know where your opponent’s strength is hidden or their objectives. You also can not cover every point at once… so you need to focus on objectives/drives in specific areas. A couple examples of what you can do: I've launched an offensive as Russia against the German player (who thought I was on the ropes and done) I had planned an offensive against him carefully and on the first turn of the drive I smashed 2 armored units, an army and 2 corps. The following two turns I continued my drive with an advance that threatened to envelope several armies of which he was barely able to extract them with heavy fighting on both sides. This offensive forced him to pull units away from other areas and saved Moscow. In another instance I’ve smashed through the lines with powerful armored units and encircled 4 German armies and corps, which were reduced the following turns. A real joy!

Italy is also fun to play as you actually have strategic options and can project some power. In short the game play is similar but has a completely different feel due to the size of the map and capabilities of the units. It is addictive as hell. You start playing and the next thing you know it’s 3am and you’re wondering where the time has gone!

Now, I don’t call the shots but I can feel us getting closer to release week by week. Be patient… this campaign is well worth the wait.

I have no doubt you're right abukede, it was easy to see from the map in SC WW1 that this would be the definitive version for the new SC platform, like the original was 9 long years ago.

And, just think, once this version is available to us users, the tweaking will again go into high gear with at least one more patch as the true fleshing out of the campaign always comes from the many, not to say you Betas didn't do an excellent job.

Looking forward to enjoying the fruits from everyones labor, ...Thanks!:)

Wolf,

I am pleased to you enjoy the show. Thank you for the feedback I really appreciate it. The next episode is set to record on the 14th. The audio engineer who does my recording is out on tour. :P

SeaMonkey and Bossy... I can tell you things are moving in high gear. We are working very hard on the campaign-... well playing hard to be honest. I actually have 2 turns waiting in my inbox at the moment. We recently had a new beta patch with lots of goodies and tweeks. (another is expected this week) :) To wet your appetite...

Game 1: French morale collapsed very rapidly (early) and essentially they crumbled before I was ready giving my opponent an opportunity to possibly invade Britain or better prepare for Russia. I hammered French ports last turn with British air and moved the Royal Navy South to make sure the first possibility would not happen. On the upside I launched an early invasion of Libya and expect the UK to force Tobruk to surrender. I did spot German air in Libya... so Rommel is likely on his way. :P

Game 2: I am shortly expecting the invasion of France as the Allied player. Poland put up a valiant and tough defense dragging out surrender by 1 turn. One of my Polish cavalry units managed to get in behind one of the Germans main thrusts (they bypassed him) and limit supply enough that the Polish Corps, artillery and HQ holding Warsaw was able to hold out 1 more turn. :P I am seriously concerned about France as I do not expect them to last long.

We're getting there.

abukede, cease with the teasing and get back to work......err....I mean playing, "we ain't makin no progress with you flappin your gums".;)

Seriously though, I think I speak for the entire forum, we appreciate your effort........"whip crack"....back to work...now!:D

• 4 weeks later...