A few words from your sponsor

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"It is also important to remember that we're not releasing "the perfect wargame", or even "the perfect game". There are no such things, therefore by definition there will be issues to raise here on this Forum. It's important to keep this in mind as we start in with the discussions that dissect and reduce a massive game down to a few bits and pieces for a particular topic of discussion. It's all too easy to get so wrapped up with the minutia and have that detract from enjoying the fullness of what the game has to offer. In all cases let's remember to keep criticism constructive, respectful, and within reason. It's important because that sort of feedback opens the door to improvements, while the opposite is harmful."

Steve, I love you guys at BF. But, the time to downplay expectations was back in September 2010 when people went ballistic expecting imminent release.

2nd only to the entertainment value of the game itself (which I am certain will be up to BF's xnt standards), will be reading the apoplectic complaint posts regarding some tiny minutiae you got wrong (according to some obscure book no one ever heard of).

I feel for you and hope you guys still have a good sense of humor and easily ride out the storm. I highly recommend a cruise to Tahiti or somesuch for the first couple weeks after release to allow for the heart attacks and brain aneurisms to degrade the loudest critics.

LOL I agree. As someone who did was a software engineer, I love some of the 'suggestions' or criticisms some people come up with as they don't realize how difficult or absurd some of them would be to code... most of the time these are irrelevant to the entertainment of the game itself anyway and are special cases.

Thanks for the feedback!.

But, the time to downplay expectations was back in September 2010 when people went ballistic expecting imminent release.

Oh, I'm not trying to play down anything. One of the greatest things about CM, and the discussions here, is that we do it without hype. Hype is something that companies do to convince you that their game is better than it really is. Or to convince people that they MUST have it or they're worthless.

What we do is discuss what is, and isn't, in the game. Often in excruciatingly specific low levels of detail. If people get excited by that, then they're getting excited by what the game really is. Put another way, correctly informed excitement :D

Maybe some get TOO excited, but that's not something we can determine because for all we know they'll be even more excited after they get the game :)

I feel for you and hope you guys still have a good sense of humor and easily ride out the storm.

Not to worry... we're in a good place and we also are much better at handling the professional complainers now than ever before. We're not going to let the preverbal rotten apple spoil the whole barrel.

Steve

2nd only to the entertainment value of the game itself (which I am certain will be up to BF's xnt standards), will be reading the apoplectic complaint posts regarding some tiny minutiae you got wrong (according to some obscure book no one ever heard of).

ROTFL

Yeah! FORGET the game, (you should just give that away for free ;) ) just charge admission to the forum (per post, or per day! :D ) to see the spectacle that will ensue when the track dimension of the Tiger 1e is not correct down to the mm :D

My philosophy for the little it's worth is that CMBN will be like war, as a good simulation should be. That means that with luck, or more likely, years of hard work from BF you will quickly become immersed in the game.

I have enough confidence in these guys track record to think that this game like those before us will suck us in like they did before.

Sure there will be bugs and behaviours we don't like but to be honest if you get caught up about the difference between two MP40's v two M-3's your focusing on the wrong thing because our own poor decisions or misjudgements will have a lot more impact than any coding error.

The game won't be perfect but it won't need the reworking CMSF did at first and certainly when I watched the AAR's I kept trying to control the cameras and issue orders.

Even compared with games of it's time CMBO wasn't a top rated game for graphics but it was such a good game that you just didn't notice.

When they posted the examples of the new Sherman in CMBN compared to the original CMBO it was clear how far they had come and yet I didn't feel "Wow thats so much better than the old crap", because once you pressed go and watched the action start you were there.

Iam going to give this game more than an even break because they deserve it and because as the Oldies thread shows this isn't just taking us back a decade for some of us its anything up to fifty.....

So hang on Marty..... "It's Back to the Future"

Peter.

Important FUBAR correction:

I had said you could see the Cherry Picking UI, but 1000 lashes with a wet noodle for me... I forgot that was not possible without including non-Demo specific resources we couldn't include. So that is NOT part of the Demo. Sorry 'bout the confusion (hangs head in shame).

(I need more sleep ;))

Steve

I had said you could see the Cherry Picking UI, but 1000 lashes with a wet noodle for me... I forgot that was not possible without including non-Demo specific resources we couldn't include. So that is NOT part of the Demo. Sorry 'bout the confusion (hangs head in shame).

(I need more sleep ;))

Steve

You're forgiven :). Bring it on.

(I need more sleep ;))

Steve

Like, some?

My philosophy for the little it's worth is that CMBN will be like war, as a good simulation should be. That means that with luck, or more likely, years of hard work from BF you will quickly become immersed in the game.

I have enough confidence in these guys track record to think that this game like those before us will suck us in like they did before.

Sure there will be bugs and behaviours we don't like but to be honest if you get caught up about the difference between two MP40's v two M-3's your focusing on the wrong thing because our own poor decisions or misjudgements will have a lot more impact than any coding error.

The game won't be perfect but it won't need the reworking CMSF did at first and certainly when I watched the AAR's I kept trying to control the cameras and issue orders.

Even compared with games of it's time CMBO wasn't a top rated game for graphics but it was such a good game that you just didn't notice.

When they posted the examples of the new Sherman in CMBN compared to the original CMBO it was clear how far they had come and yet I didn't feel "Wow thats so much better than the old crap", because once you pressed go and watched the action start you were there.

Iam going to give this game more than an even break because they deserve it and because as the Oldies thread shows this isn't just taking us back a decade for some of us its anything up to fifty.....

Peter.

MAN you read my mind

I am going to give this game more than an even break because they deserve it and because as the Oldies thread shows this isn't just taking us back a decade for some of us its anything up to fifty.....

Peter.

Yes.

Its Combat Mission through and through, ;) you can pretty much take that to the bank.

Seemingly endless wait but pleased we're not going to have to wait till June, it appears. CMSF had the engine, couple that with all the value added work put in by Battlefront, CMBN will raise the bar significantly higher than all its predecessors:)