Osama Bin Ladin Has Been Killed

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$25 million. But it sounds like nobody will be collecting. The information that eventually led to him came from members of al-Qaeda captured after 9/11.

52 million, is what I read on wiki only a few days ago. 50 million from the Gov and 2 mln from some 9/11 organisation iirc.

And what I've heard it was just sound intelligence work rather then an informer. Followed around one of his couriers, Beeb said. Of course, if it was an infomer, they are hardly going to blurt his name out on TV.

*edit*

Affie beat me to it, and correctely ID the source as the Pilots Assoc. Also, I can't believe I took so long over such a short message.

Ah, I didn't know it was raised to 50 million in 2007

Certainly there was a lot of intelligence work involved in ferreting him out, but the seed that led to him was taken from al-Qaeda detainees:

Detainees at the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, had given the courier’s pseudonym to American interrogators and said that the man was a protégé of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.

American intelligence officials said Sunday night that they finally learned the courier’s real name four years ago, but that it took another two years for them to learn the general region where he operated.

NY Times

He's dead, and given the unrest in the ME his ideology is too. And what's brought the strategic victory - all the things we don't think about: individual rights, The Simpsons, the rule of law, a 55" 3D colour TV for £2,200, Facebook, The Sopranos, the right of peaceful protest, youtube, democracy, silly bands, burger fries and coke for £4, Liverpool 3 Manchester United 0, people being acquitted on a technicality - our culture and the standard of living it gives, in other words.

The SEAL team that took him down that won the tactical victory - well done to them - but the strategic victory was won by allowing people freedom. As long as we don't lose sight of that we should be OK.

Ah. I stand corrected. Whaddaya know, Gitmo finally delivered something of worth.

As a little bit of fun, turn your minds back to the White House Correspondents Dinner only two days before, and specifically this joke by Seth Meyer. I guess Obama got more mileage out of that then anyone else, knowing what he knew then.

That is a good one Elmar, I was just thinking the same thing about that.

In all seriousness though, call me when I can get on a plane with a bottle of shampoo, that's the day we will have won.

No sh!t. And throw in no more long delays while you're being inspected before getting on the plane. Until then, we're still bounded by fear.

Michael

The most surprising detail is that he wasn't hiding out in a cave in the mountains. He was living in a nice big house in Islamabad.

Surprising? That's what the smart money has been saying for the last half dozen years. That's why we've been leaning on the Pakistani security services, albeit with no particularly good effect.

Michael

An eminently sensible look at the implications of Osama's death Hold the Jubilation

Yeah, that sounds about right. But I have a question whether his death will impact the funding of terrorist acts at all. Perhaps his personal fortune has already been spent and his death will actually free up some al Qaeda funds which were being used to support and protect him, but I do wonder.

Michael

Surprising? That's what the smart money has been saying for the last half dozen years. That's why we've been leaning on the Pakistani security services, albeit with no particularly good effect.

Michael

Oh, so you actually expected him to be living in a very conspicuous fortified compound almost in the shadow of Pakistan's most prestigious military academy?

"When we saw the compound, we were shocked by what we saw: an extraordinarily unique compound," a senior US administration official said. The building, about eight times the size of other nearby houses, sat on a large plot of land that was relatively secluded when it was built in 2005. The villa had comprehensive security measures in place, the official said, including 12- to 18-foot outer walls topped with barbed wire and internal walls. Like some kind of medieval keep, two security gates restricted access.

His fortress-style property – described as “custom built to hide someone of significance” – was only a short distance from the Kakul Military Academy, which trains officers of the Pakistan army.

The academy is one of several military strongholds in the town.

Right where the smart money said he would be...

Oh, so you actually expected him to be living in a very conspicuous fortified compound almost in the shadow of Pakistan's most prestigious military academy?

Right where the smart money said he would be...

I think Michael's point was that the US intelligence community has been convinced for some time that he was in Pakistan and in one of the news reports they actually said that this was the type of facility they expected. They also note they are still convinced Mullah Omar is also in Pakistan, possibly Karachi. In looking at recent history, the top leaders of Al Qaeda who have been killed or captured have all been in Pakistan.

I don't think it is a far stretch to say that considering the relationship between Pakistan's military, the Taliban, Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations that it is any huge surprise to find him where they did.

I think Michael's point was that the US intelligence community has been convinced for some time that he was in Pakistan and in one of the news reports they actually said that this was the type of facility they expected. They also note they are still convinced Mullah Omar is also in Pakistan, possibly Karachi. In looking at recent history, the top leaders of Al Qaeda who have been killed or captured have all been in Pakistan.

I don't think it is a far stretch to say that considering the relationship between Pakistan's military, the Taliban, Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations that it is any huge surprise to find him where they did.

Exactly.

Michael

The irony of the announcement was that I was in the middle of Birdstrike's CMSF scenario '3:10 to Yuma' and had just secured the terrorist leader 'Bin Wadi'. Within a few minutes of that, my son came down to the computer room and told me that CNN was just announcing that Bin Laden was dead.

I'd also suggest that the reason this intelligence took years to come to fruition was because the USA didn't want to share too many details with Pakistan! They played a great hand there.

That he was found in Pakistan is a surprise to nobody. That he was in a building so conspicuous that you couldn't help but not notice it, in a part of Pakistan with an unusually strong military presence is a surprise to me. The walls were ringed with barbed wire and security cameras for god's sake, and in a residential area to boot. They might as well have posted a sign out front stating "IMPORTANT PERSON WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE SEEN INSIDE".

Frankly, if that doesn't raise your eyebrows a bit you're probably in the wrong profession.

i appreciate Bin Laden getting his skull shot open by a young American soldier and his gun and all... but in the long run, is he now just gonna be a martyr? are we now gonna leave the middle east and stop accidental bombing civilians and poisoning the environment with depleted uranium round ammunitions dust? are we gonna stop creating more terrorists? maybe focus on problems closer to home? I truly hope so...

If you ask me, the death of Osama Bin Laden will lead to a great escalation of violence. By killing him, the US Forces made a martyr out of him. A martyr to be praised by fundamentalists. And I'm not talking about the groups directly connected with Al Queida. I'm sayin': all extremist groups from the middle east. Even the lesser ones will now do anything to raise their status in the terrorists' world. To prove themselves. To show the world that they unite with the deceased. I think that killing Osama Bin Laden was the worst US decision since the invasion of Iraq. Instead of capturing him and putting him in front of the international tribunal (with the League of Arab States - its presence would be vital to the trial! - which would lead to his demise anyway), they've just created a number one martyr of the Muslim fundamentalists of all times! What's worse, every politician seems to be happy about it! For Christ's sake, why they always have to be so short-sighted?

The first thought I had the morning I woke up and heard about his death was: "Great. Now we've done it...". I understand the urge for vengeance of US citizens on that terrorist leader. But I fail to see how his death without a trial will have a positive impact on the whole situation we have since 9/11. It will change nothing at best, and at worst... I just don't want to think about.

The TRIAL was the right thing to do.