Quick update on release status

Just to let you know things are rolling along nicely (if all the activity from us wasn't a hint ;)) and we are nearly there. We don't want to jinx ourselves with an exact date, but roughly speaking here's where we are at:

1. Manuals are at the printers and should be back at the end of next week.

2. We have everything we need for the Demo, but we're still in the process of making/testing the special Demo EXE/App for the PC/Mac Demos.

3. With the next build for the testers will be officially be in the Final Candidate stage of testing. This is after Beta but before Gold Master. Final Candidate is to catch any glaring rough edges, like a missing graphic or what not. We're "done" making significant code changes so we won't risk introducing new issues into the gameplay. We're actually NEVER really "done", but if we don't think that way then you'll never get to play the darned thing :D

So... that's where we stand. For those of you trying to project a ship date... here's a hint. It won't be this coming Friday, that's for sure. How soon could it be? Depends on how Final Candidate and Gold Master testing go, as well as the manuals being ready and other standard variables.

Steve

P.S. Bone -> there are three scenarios for the Demo. One attack as Germans, one attack as Americans, one Tutorial as Americans. The latter is designed to give newbies a "cake walk" scenario to learn how to play the game before diving into the other two battles. It's an adaptation from the longer Tutorial included in the game itself.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Steve, that does help. I can fire up CMSF or maybe even dig out Brothers in Arm or COD, and just get on with things rather than checking in every hour! But, not being familiar with the prep-for-release jargon, are talking more June-ish than May-ish?

A Beta Tester word about 'Final Candidate' stuff, if I may be allowed. Don't panic! This isn't CMBO or CMSF final candidate. The game's fully mature now and as stabile as a rock. I doubt we'd be able to break it even if we wanted to. We've even double-checked the French grammar on the tombstone inscriptions. ;)

Thanks Steve, that does help. I can fire up CMSF or maybe even dig out Brothers in Arm or COD, and just get on with things rather than checking in every hour! But, not being familiar with the prep-for-release jargon, are talking more June-ish than May-ish?

Basically...

Alpha - game is sorta playable, but extremely incomplete, unbalanced, and basically not ready to show anybody other than internal staff. Even screenshots are usually a bad idea.

Beta - game is firming up, features are basically all in or at least clearly identified for near-term inclusion. Bugs, balancing, prettying, redoing, etc. happens here and that's why this is generally a very long stage.

Final Candidate - this is ready for release in almost all ways, but not quite there yet. A few of these are necessary before it's ready to move onto the next stage.

Gold Master - it's good to go barring any sort of installer, licensing, or other non-game related issue. It's unusual to get it right the first time, so there's several of these.

In theory FC and GM only require a couple of days each, while Alpha and Beta are measured in years (for us anyway). Each FC or GM made requires usually a couple of days for testing without uncovering anything new. Obviously if something new is found then there's a new FC or GM released for testing, sometimes within minutes.

GMs are tricker because it usually requires downloading the WHOLE THING. And at the size of CM:BN that itself takes many hours per tester.

So are we talking May or June? June would only happen if there was a major technical issue discovered in the next week (which is unlikely). So by process of elimination... :D

Steve

Basically...

So are we talking May or June? June would only happen if there was a major technical issue discovered in the next week (which is unlikely). So by process of elimination... :D

Steve

Mid July? ;)

Seriously though thanks for the update. I can find other ways to occupy my pc time then switching between the forums and my email account.

2) Do the scenarios have AI plans for both sides so we can switch? I assume not, but one can hope!

Two of the demo missions have AI plans for both sides, and are (IMO) equally fun from either side.

The "training" mission should only be played from the American side, for obvious reasons.