Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR

I'm wondering about the 'procedure' for calling down the 60mm mortar fire.

I'm no expert on arty procedures but the whole thing seemed a bit long-winded; what you might more reasonably expect in calling in a remote battery.

I thought the smaller mortars were designed for 'quick and dirty' local support, with the emphasis on 'quick'.

In RL as in the game, the procedure for calling down indirect fire for a 60MM motar is no different than directing a battery of 105's. The advantage to a 60 as far as speed goes, is its ability to spot for itself.

When the mortar team can see its target it can fire and adjust very quickly. When its fire is being directed by an FO then the procedure is the same. Also once a round is fired the 60MM mortar rounds can reach the target quicker because the distance to target is shorter.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering about the 'procedure' for calling down the 60mm mortar fire.

I'm no expert on arty procedures but the whole thing seemed a bit long-winded; what you might more reasonably expect in calling in a remote battery.

I thought the smaller mortars were designed for 'quick and dirty' local support, with the emphasis on 'quick'.

I'm watching the third video right now (it's up, but there's no thread yet), and the mortar fire is VERY quick. It's about 20 seconds elapsed time between designating targets and the first rounds (probably spotting rounds) begin to fall. Very, very fast.

Was that on a TRP (target ref point) Clark? They are able to respond with fire quickly as they are preregistered with your supporting units.

There are two TRPs on map, but only one of the three targets was within, say, 80 meters or so of them. I haven't played CMSF beyond a couple of demo missions, so I'm not sure how TRPs work in CMx2 compared to CMx1, but if this were CMx1 I'd say the designated targets were outside of the TRP "zone".

edit: Scratch that. I just went back and looked at the TRPs again and they are actually pretty close to the targets. Well within 50 meters, so that would explain how fast the shells started arriving.

I'm watching the third video right now (it's up, but there's no thread yet), and the mortar fire is VERY quick. It's about 20 seconds elapsed time between designating targets and the first rounds (probably spotting rounds) begin to fall. Very, very fast.

Do you have a link for that please.

Do you have a link for that please.

I was waiting for tyrspawn to make a new thread, and I didn't want to steal his thunder. But it's been up for a while now, so maybe he's busy with other things. I just opened the older videos and kept refreshing, watching for his "Uploads" to change from 78 to 79. :)

No HD version available (at least right now), and even the 480p version is coming down really slowly for me over a 6mbps connection. It probably hasn't propagated across multiple servers yet.

edit: Of course, right after I respond I refreshed the page and 1080/720 are now showing up as options. But they might be slow, given how slow my 480p stream is running.

The views from the American side watching the German infantry running across fence openings etc is just beautiful. Cinematic quality.

The American soldiers getting bombarded by mortars and overrun by German infantry probably didn't think it looked quite so pretty. Especially the guy at 28:47 who has a 60mm round land right on top of his head. :eek:

Wow, excellent stuff. I definitely had a couple 'oh crap' moments watching the video. Only beef I had with the vid was that in several instances I couldn't hear any commentary due to the bombardments...but man, that incoming arty is something else. I can begin to understand what they meant by shell shock. Some very nice examples of the close up fighting as well. Thanks again for another awesome installment.

• 2 weeks later...
I do sort of wonder if they will ever get around to coming out with a Soviet army- CoH online is dead and I don't think the Valour add-on is drawing all that many peeps... time will tell.

This is a bit late and a few pages back, but there's been a mod released for it - I remember playing it a while ago, it seemed quite good IIRC. http://www.easternfront.org/

Did anybody mention the CM:SF artillery voice effects yet? They were in the 2nd video, but they aren't in the next Beta :D

On the whole though, our philosophy is to reuse as much as we can from previous games. This does three things:

1. Keeps development costs down

2. Allows us to focus our energies on more important things

3. Speeds up development (which is sorta tied to the above two)

Sounds can be Modded quite easily, and 10 people will likely not agree on which Mod for a specific weapon sounds best, so we don't see sound effects as a priority for redoing if what we already have is adequate.

Steve

Has anyone found any reference material regarding how a US WWII FO would initiate a 'call for fire?' I'd assume it was quite different from modern day.

Or, any material regarding how a WWII USAAF FAC would request air support? I know they wouldn't use '9-line,' the way a modern JTAC would.

I agree with Steve's 3 points above, but I'm sure all of us love the accuracy of the BF line of games and immersion we get while we play... maybe this kind of voice stuff should just go into a 'parking lot' of stuff to fix 'when BF can.'

Has anyone found any reference material regarding how a US WWII FO would initiate a 'call for fire?' I'd assume it was quite different from modern day.

Or, any material regarding how a WWII USAAF FAC would request air support? I know they wouldn't use '9-line,' the way a modern JTAC would.

I agree with Steve's 3 points above, but I'm sure all of us love the accuracy of the BF line of games and immersion we get while we play... maybe this kind of voice stuff should just go into a 'parking lot' of stuff to fix 'when BF can.'

Found a nice on-line source from the University of North Texas, Digital Library. They have an on-line copy of FM 6-135, Field Artillery Forward Observation, for that half of the off-board support systems. Starting on page 37, they describe appropriate terminology. On page 39, it covers "REPORTS TO OBSERVER," with example: "TIME FIRE, CONCENTRATION 27, BATTALION, ABLE, 3 VOLLEYS, 1/2 c APART, WHEN READY."