Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That banzai assault to the forest in the first scenario (min 38:55) after their tank being neutralized and making the German squad in the area surrender in the process is something to behold! Go tank crews! Go!
I think it was an unusual circumstance where the German squad actually suppressed itself while firing AT grenades (causing 1 casualty in the process) then was unlucky enough to be hit by 2 tank crews at once.

Ah dang, should have known this by now.

Heres another one, what system specs was this played(and recorded while playing) at(and screenresolution maybe)? Looks quite smooth to me, considering the dense vegetation and later on the masses of troops.

As good as the pictured AARs were, this is outstanding. Thx alot!

After a while watching i found myself trying to get the camera moving with my mouse, thinking i was already playing...

1680 x 1050, balanced model quality, highest texture quality, anti-aliasing/ansiotropic enabled, high system priority (this last setting basically doubled my frame rate)

I was FRAPSing to a dedicated hard-drive, my windows is on a SSD and the game was installed on a 3rd drive. I was getting 30-50 FPS while flying around.

I have a AMD Phenom 950, GTX 260, 4 gigs of ram, windows 7.

The video is really amazing. All of the little details are great! I really got a kick out of seeing the mortar teams sending rounds towards the commune in the second scenario. And the tank commander standing there, shooting his .45 in the first scenario was awesome. It's such a huge leap in immersion compared to CMx1.

edit: Since you asked for requests... I'd really love to see more of the little details. Guys bailing out of KO'd tanks and armored cars, buildings collapsing from mortar fire, open topped AFVs having their guns loaded and fired, etc.

edit2: And how about a Sherman breaching a hedgerow, followed by a squad of infantry?

Nice to see a video of action. I will withhold most of my comments until after I get the game, but I will definitely wait to try realtime until after I get used to the interface. Too much going on for a CMx2 newbie. :o

Building interiors are abstracted, but the average room in a Norman building would be too small to fire a panzerfaust in due to the back blast when fired. Same goes for bazookas/panzershrecks.

does that go for all buildings? In the vid, Chris keeps referring to Shockforce, but I never played that myself. However, modern weapons also can not be fired from small enclosures. There are significant back blast from the SMAW, RPGS, AT4s, ect. I do know recently though that the Swedes developed an AT4 that has water at the end of the AT4 that cuts down on the backblast, but I'm not sure how common that system is on today's battlefield.

I'm sure that the smaller panzer fausts can be fired from some larger&open rooms in buildings. Panzershrecks are a different story...

does that go for all buildings? In the vid, Chris keeps referring to Shockforce, but I never played that myself. However, modern weapons also can not be fired from small enclosures. There are significant back blast from the SMAW, RPGS, AT4s, ect. I do know recently though that the Swedes developed an AT4 that has water at the end of the AT4 that cuts down on the backblast, but I'm not sure how common that system is on today's battlefield.

I'm sure that the smaller panzer fausts can be fired from some larger&open rooms in buildings. Panzershrecks are a different story...

I think the BFC reckoned that the backblasts for modern AT weapons are bad, but reduced enough compared to WW2 weapons to make firing inside buildings more common. And to reduce the gameplay mess that would result from some building allowing RPG shots and other not, decided to allow for all cases. Just my two cents though.

The way Steve explained it in the beta test forums is that the backblast is really not the deadly thing from WW2 weapons, but the overpressure area. In any case, it requires a change of tactics in CM:BfN as opposed to CMSF. Your infantry need to be more ballsy.

I'll be answering other questions and possibly uploading a 2nd video depending on feedback and what you guys want to see.

Oh how I love the sweet, sweet sound of those bolt action rifles! Yay for no more hand-of-god weaponry.

What's with the suicidal tank crews assaulting full infantry squads though? I thought the "low ammo" measure BFC used in CMx1 to prevent that from happening was smart...