reinstalling game virus detected

kjuice

I was getting this message recently with rts.dll and being suspicious of the diagnosis ,sent the file to AVG and they checked and confirmed it was a "False Positive". I reinstalled the file into the game files as game wont load without it -from my "virus vault" where it had been banished and placed the file on my list for AVG to accept and not detect as a virus in future.

--No problem since........

Yup, false positive is what it is. Happens from time to time with encrypted files (such as our games that are protected against hackers) if you have "Heuristic" scanning enabled. "Heuristic" scanning essentially means "guessing" at unknown threats. This can be useful at times but also is prone to false positives, i.e. alerts that are not viruses. What you should do if you want to use Heuristics scanning is to make sure that the AV program does not automatically act (let alone delete a file etc.), but rather only notifies you, so that you know what is going on. Or you can turn off Heuristics, too, or set exemptions for specific files and folders.

Our new Online Activation System (that TOW3 comes with) is much less prone to this type of false positive than eLicense that we used so far, btw. In fact, no false positives have ever been reported to date.

Martin