An invitation to other lurkers

Nonsensical postings? this morning I was late to my study/lesson and so I couldn't get the yummy coffee in the canteen and had to buy one of this automat coffees...baaahh how on earth can they screw up coffee sooo badly? well had to buy and drink it...need my daily amount of caffeine!

but later I enjoyed a really nice cup of canteen coffee in the sun out on a bench on the campus...weather was really nice today...too nice to get back inside and listen to the professors...but well...you got to do, what you got to do...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when it was recorded I was member number 169 I believe, so I started early. Most of my posts were made back in the CMBO hey day. Since then I've definitely lurked, checking in maybe once a month. The forum has stayed on my shortcut bar for all those years, across maybe 3 or 4 computers.

Now we're back to WW2 I'm posting more often and refresh monkeying again.

Good to be back :)

All you Lurkers just showing your faces remember the first rule of this Forum.Stay clear of that Michael Emrys guy.He isn't right in the head.:D

Emrys was once a Lurker until he attended Lurkers Anonymous. Now look at him, over 15,000 posts and counting. I suggest you Lurkers ask Michael for an internship.

The folks you really need to stay away from are those vile vermin over in that loutish Pang Thang. Oh wait, ......uh....Emrys is one of them.

Hey, hold on a second here. How come Emrys gets to post on the Outre Boards and in that Pang Challenge?

I was a lurker but come out of hiding the last couple months. My post count was 19 I think in January this year.

My post count is still less than the number PBEMs played. A most of those PBEM were big and included the monster ops.

It can be hard to contribute unless you have played heaps of PBEMs and read about the same number of history books. Finally getting there.

Emrys was once a Lurker until he attended Lurkers Anonymous. Now look at him, over 15,000 posts and counting. I suggest you Lurkers ask Michael for an internship.

The folks you really need to stay away from are those vile vermin over in that loutish Pang Thang. Oh wait, ......uh....Emrys is one of them.

Hey, hold on a second here. How come Emrys gets to post on the Outre Boards and in that Pang Challenge?

They let Him out on once in a while to gather imformation and recon the other boards.Then he reports back to them on the activities of us Normal types.:D

Great idea for a thread Thomas, I've finally been inspired to post here after the better part of a decade lurking around these parts.

Long story short, I've plunged myself neck-deep into the CMx1 games for various long stretches over the years, moving on at times and then eventually coming back. I guess I never felt compelled to post because (a) just about every question I've ever had could be answered by digging through past threads and (B) my WWII knowledge is dwarfed by many of the members here. Spent a lot of hours, though, reading through the quality discussions and occasional flame wars featured here.

Like some others here, modern settings aren't really my thing, so I never got into CMSF. Seeing the news about CMBN recently, though, whetted my appetite again, and I've been re-immersing myself in to CMBB and CMAK while awaiting my pre-order.

So, I figured this was as good a reason as any to make my belated introduction to a forum I have long found cool, and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

Fellow longtime lurker here. Hello all!

I recently posted in the How did you find out about Combat Mission? thread. -My first post in years. I'll repeat it here:

When I was a kid, I bought the core Squad Leader module, but was too young to completely grok the rules and had no adults around that were interested. Love for the game and the desire to play it stayed with me through the years, despite my not evolving into a full-blown wargamer with other titles (owned some though).

Years later, I bought Close Combat III and it certainly traveled part of the way to satisfying that lingering desire left by SL. Then, a couple of months after its release, I stumbled on Combat Mission. By the end of my first demo game, I was hooked and the CC series seemed hopelessly obsolete. I played the heck out of CMBO and also got CMBB and CMAK, though I played them less.

Amazingly, I later stumbled upon my old copy of SL in storage and that led me to discover ASL. I got into that for a few years and it replaced CM for me. However, a few years ago, I took up music as a hobby and my gaming went down to nothing, due to time and brain cell demands (if you don't play often, the ASL rules tend to leak out of the ol' noggin).

When CMSF came out, my rig was too old to run it. As fate would have it, I upgraded this Xmas (core i7-950, 6 gigs and a GTX-470!). I tried the demos of CMSF and CMA. SF is great, but I'm not into modern. I really enjoyed the CMA demo, but won't be getting that one either--but only because I can't afford the time.

I'm quite the forum lurker and have kept an eye on development throughout the years and have read many of the threads--particularly the ones debating the whole design for effect vs. engineered thing. For my part, I think Battlefront is headed in exactly the right direction for this medium. I will definitely being trying the CMBN demo and will almost certainly buy it.

The continuing (pre-modern) CM series may be the only games I ever buy going forward. I still don't really have the time for gaming, but I'll make an exception for this.

I can't wait to dive in! This time, I have to try human opponents. for CMx1, I only played against the AI.

All the best,

Macisle

I can't wait to dive in! This time, I have to try human opponents. for CMx1, I only played against the AI.

All the best,

Macisle

You do. You can still go back and play single player after playing PBEM/IP games but human players are obviously much better. The AI never does and probably never will use tanks effectively. You will only truly realise this after going head to head with another person.

You do. You can still go back and play single player after playing PBEM/IP games but human players are obviously much better. The AI never does and probably never will use tanks effectively. You will only truly realise this after going head to head with another person.

Yup. I can totally see that. A few times, I experimented going Hotseat against myself in CMx1 and even playing both sides, it was way harder than the AI.

It's gonna be (painful at first, but) great!

Yup. I can totally see that. A few times, I experimented going Hotseat against myself in CMx1 and even playing both sides, it was way harder than the AI.

It's gonna be (painful at first, but) great!

Just need to be more careful in everything you do. Unless you are really bad and just happen upon someone seriously good you will be fine.