How did you find out about Combat Mission?

I saw a small article in a german computer game magazine. Was curious about the mechanics of the WeGo system and gave the demo a try...I can't remember what year it was, but surely a loooong time ago...

I instantly loved it! And I played COUNTLESS hours of QBs against my brother! I bought CMBB and CMAK as well. And sadly I bought CMSF too. Couldn't get warm with CMSF...

My brother and I are REALLY looking forward to play CMBN!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

musta been my third time back to Bosnia. Some local guy on the side of the road sold me the first Combat Mission. I never even heard of it. Stayed in my foot locker and when I got home I fired it up. Loved it and bought all of the "Authentic" copies in the series.

When I was a kid, I bought the core Squad Leader module, but was too young to completely grok the rules and had no adults around that were interested. Love for the game and the desire to play it stayed with me through the years, despite my not evolving into a wargamer with other titles (owned some though).

Years later, I bought Close Combat III and it certainly traveled part of the way to satisfying that lingering desire left by SL. Then, a couple of months after its release, I stumbled on Combat Mission. By the end of my first demo game, I was hooked and the CC series seemed hopelessly obsolete. I played the heck out of CMBO and also got CMBB and CMAK, though I played them less.

Amazingly, I later stumbled upon my old copy of SL in storage and that led me to discovering ASL. I got into that for a few years and it replaced CM for me. However, a few years ago, I took up music as a hobby and my gaming went down to nothing, due to time and brain cell demands.

When CMSF came out, my rig was too old to run it. As fate would have it, I upgraded this Xmas (core i7-950, 6 gigs and a GTX-470!). I tried the demos of CMSF and CMA. SF is great, but I'm not into modern. I really enjoyed the CMA demo, but won't be getting that one either--but only because I can't afford the time.

I'm quite the forum lurker and have kept an eye on development throughout the years and have read many of the threads--particularly the ones debating the whole design for effect vs. engineered thing. For my part, I think Battlefront is headed in exactly the right direction for this medium. I will definitely being trying the CMBN demo and will almost certainly buy it.

The continuing (pre-modern) CM series may be the only games I ever buy going forward. I still don't really have the time for gaming, but I'll make an exception for this.

Anyway, a big thanks to Battlefront for their great work and vision and a heapin' congrats on them remaining a viable and growing force where so many others have fallen.

I can't wait to play this game!

Macisle

Oh wow... you are really making the old noggin work now. I seem to remember that having owned Charles Moylan's excellent air combat games (which are still great fun to this day by the way) I was drawn to a link that announced Battlefront as their new venture and the state of the industry post.

Fall of 1999 things were heating up with Combat Mission development and I joined here to follow the progress. The rest, as they say, is history. I have never been much interested in modern day "wizz-bang" ground combat on a tactical level, so I was away during much of the Shock Force era. I was content knowing that the foundation laid by development of SF would one day make for a second version of WW2 that would be "done right". I think that day will soon arrive my friends!

:cool: