CMA... an overlooked gem... hugely immersive...

I much prefer this to CMSF, That game never jelled with me. Kips bang on with how immersive this is CMA on the maps is much more evocative the place and type of war the 70s through to the 80s was. This game is much more evocative than CMBN is even with the more detailed gfx. The horror of superior soviet firepower tearing your men apart. The horror of heavy firepower taking to long to save a section or platoon picked apart by tribes men with bold action rifles. Magnificent.

I recently got this. I'm very impressed with the Shock Force series. I have all of them and love it. I also have CMBN and love that too.

CMA is a very interesting game. It certainly has a different feel. Ultimately a Viet-Nam centered game would be very welcome as would an Arab-Israeli one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought this upon release. Didn't play it too much though due to the arrival of NATO. Since then I emigrated to Malaysia, didn't really touched any game. Today saw this game was still available for download in my BF account, hoping it will run good on my laptop.

Good to see others playing the game!

• 3 weeks later...

if I may say my opinion, CMA is perhaps the best of all the titles in the series, for the moment.

Although CMN is more complete, I like the historical period, and above the ground, and the lack, in contrast to CMSF, arms too "deadly".

I also CMSF and CMN, but I do not like the Bocage, I'm sure the new modules as they happen, (I hope so much campaign russia?), It will be great

I do wish fans of this title would post more of their own 3rd party scenarios. Considering how late the timeline runs to (1992) you could even concoct fictional blue-on-blue Mujihadeen vs Taliban clashes! Imagine this title with an extra fifty scenarios to play. :)

I'm so down for that and I wish the same. Truly, I can't believe how much I love this title. I'm not even sure which I would rate higher, SF or A. CM:BN I really like and played pretty heavily the first couple weeks but since coming back to SF and A I haven't played anything else.

I should try my hand at making some scenarios. I've never done it before, not even back in the old days of CM1. Maybe it's time. I keep hoping new stuff will be popping out for CMA but since it's release it's been pretty quiet.

I honestly can't believe how much I enjoy playing with Soviet troops and equipement but I really do.

I have to say I was VERY happy to see Fredrock1967s new campaign in the works. User made scenarios are the complete heart of the CM games.

MORE PLEASE!!!

Half the fun of the CM series is constructing your own scenario maps then bringing them to life. That snowy mountaintop scenario is mine and building that mountain was an absolute blast. Admittedly AI opponent construction has a somewhat steep learning curve, but if they were easy they wouldn't be fun! :) Anyway, a lot of designers just do the (easier) defensive AI and tell players to "Play Red Only" as the attacker.

Half the fun of the CM series is constructing your own scenario maps then bringing them to life.
I think so too.

Admittedly AI opponent construction has a somewhat steep learning curve, but if they were easy they wouldn't be fun!
I also agree on this one.:)

Anyway, a lot of designers just do the (easier) defensive AI and tell players to "Play Red Only" as the attacker.
I have almost finished a mission for CMBN, and I will tell the player to "Play Red Only" as the defender.:D

• 4 years later...

I will be needing some testers for a mission or two.....Nothing special, just trying to get my eye in, so to speak.  I'm hoping to develop a campaign covering the period just prior to the Soviet invasion, the squabbling between various factions should allow for some low level BvB & RvR fun.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I will be needing some testers for a mission or two.....Nothing special, just trying to get my eye in, so to speak.  I'm hoping to develop a campaign covering the period just prior to the Soviet invasion, the squabbling between various factions should allow for some low level BvB & RvR fun.

I don't have a lot of time.  But, am stuck in Europe for a few weeks, and I will do what I can to test it out for you.  Am really happy someone is doing something new with CMA.  Drop me a PM if you like and we can communicate via e-mail and post progress here...

Edited by Erwin

Cheers Erwin.....These are what you might (in CM1 terms) call 'Semi-Fictiona'l scenarios.  The plan is to build an entertaining, if not entirely historically accurate, campaign that represents the gradual breakdown of central authority in the year preceding the Soviet invasion.  I hope, at the end of the campaign, to present the (initially 'Red') player with the option to join either the 'Blue' or 'Red' factions in a matched pair of follow up post-invasion campaigns.

I have to admit in advance that I'm using tweaked versions of the maps from the QB folder for all this.....Some of them are pretty good, certainly better than anything I could build for myself right now and they are more than sufficient for my purposes (this is still a learning exercise for me after all).

I have the (provisional) first two battles mostly ready (still writing alternate AI plans and I haven't done any briefings yet).  The (nominal) first represents the forcible removal of Daoud Loyalists from government facilities in a major city during the 'Saur Revolution' of April 1978, the second an early attempt to impose the will of the central government on a singularly unruly village set in the following month.  I may yet add an earlier 'prequel' scenario, loosely based on the assassination of Mir Akbar Khyber as a scene setter.

All very much a WIP right now, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it.....CMA has a certain 'something' all of its own, doesn't it?  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead