CMA... an overlooked gem... hugely immersive...

Hi,

During CMA testing my PC was dying so played no part in it and can take no credit.

After reading some of the best books on the subject, The Bear Went Over the Mountain, Afgantsy and The Soviet- Afghan War/The Russian General Staff Report I built a scenario with the terrain taken from Google Earth and maps and the forces and context from the above books.

I was shocked just how well CMA modelled things. I played real time for two hours and didn’t want the game to end. The Soviets were tasked with opening a road that had been closed by Mujahideen as it ran through a village in Helmand Provence beside one of the canals.

The total Mujahideen force was 63 strong and their casualties 23 or 37%. Total Soviet strength was 116 men and 15 AFVs. Soviet losses 8 men and 1 BTR. Less than 10%. However in two hours only half the village was cleared. From all I have read on the war CMA looked, sounded and felt realistic and delivered a credible outcome. Totally immersive.

By high intensity warfare standards not an exciting outcome but what impressed me so much was the way the game modelled the challenges of trying to clear the village with minimum loss. And this hooked me, I did not expect it to but it did.

As I say... CMA is an overlooked gem... its real, it happened and CMA models it superbly. Hugely immersive and atmospheric.

Looking forward to many more such games.... :).

All the best,

Kip.

PS. Will release the scenario when it has been tweaked with Flavor Objects and briefings done.

I have really enjoyed CM:A as well. I have had some very intense firefights with the stock scenario's. I wish there was more interest and support of this great game.

I am working on a scenario for upload, but it is a lengthy process, since I am the only one testing it for playability. I will get it posted one of these days.

General Solomon, hi,

I can provide you a pdf version of book to help with building the maps faster.
I have the book so am OK. But thanks for the offer.

We all have limited time but I hope to build and play as many scenarios as possible.

I prefer CMA to CMSF but we are lucky in that there is flood of CMX2 titles and modules coming our way... :).

All the best,

Kip.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought CM:A and I have to admit that I am liking it very much. The different environment (much greener than Syria) and the lower lethality of the weapons in respect to CM:SF make the gameplay somehow much enjoyable.

I would like to see other theatres represented with the CM engine (besides those already planned by BF:C): one could be the Korean War of the '50s

I recently bought CM:A and I have to admit that I am liking it very much. The different environment (much greener than Syria) and the lower lethality of the weapons in respect to CM:SF make the gameplay somehow much enjoyable.

I would like to see other theatres represented with the CM engine (besides those already planned by BF:C): one could be the Korean War of the '50s

I'm hoping CMSF2 covers a second Korean war, just reading Red Phoenix and it's awesome :) I'd really like to see cold war gone hot scenario in 1970/80 though, like World in Conflict but ... better.

I hope the russian guys make a CM:A NATO VS WP module...

Yes! This would be very good.

Also, I've only played the demo of CMA. I'm amazed at how well my 2-year-old midrange laptop can run it! I can decently run the "Bear and the Hornet's Nest" scenario. Does anyone think this scenario is a good representation of the overall game?

Hi Guys

I agree that CM:A is an overlooked jewel of a game... I am in the process of putting together a scenario about some of the fighting in and around Spinakalacha Village in December of 1987... I do have all the information for making the map... and I am in the process of doing so... I have a copy of 'The Bear Went Over the Mountain', but if anyone knows of some additional reference material that might be beneficial to me, please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance...

I was thinking of picking this up over the weekened.

If you have played CMSF and enjoyed it, you should. This game is different than CMSF: graphics have a different effect, terrain is different, units/effects are different. Viva la difference!

If you're not sure, well, look at the screenshots for CM:A, and download the CMSF demo. That will give a slight taste of what CM:A is like.

Ken

If you have played CMSF and enjoyed it, you should. This game is different than CMSF: graphics have a different effect, terrain is different, units/effects are different. Viva la difference!

If you're not sure, well, look at the screenshots for CM:A, and download the CMSF demo. That will give a slight taste of what CM:A is like.

Ken

Or he could download the CMA demo :P

Ken

Actually, I haven't played any of the Combat Mission series games.

Right now, I'm really into Theatre of War 3 Korea. These "Combat Mission" games look pretty good. Wish these types of games had more of the dynamic campaigns. Playing a set list of missions, never really lasts long for me after I do it once or twice.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this to maybe help sales. I assumed this was going to be lower quality than CMSF but I got it a week ago anyway after finishing the CMSF campaigns.

High quality, great missions, great briefings, well balanced, utterly brutal and a completely different feel.

Tremendous fun.