A Quick Battle AAR: Shermans vs Pz IVs, Not Your Fathers Combat Mission

The panzer division in modern warfare today holds the former place of cavalry as the decisive arm of combat. Tank officers must carry on in the tradition of the cavalry, take up its aggressive spirit on behalf of the Panzer arm. Therefore take note, as a basic combat principle, of Marshall Blucher's motto, "FORWARD AND THROUGH!" (but with intelligence).

From the German Army pamphlet: Panzer Vorwärts! Aber mit Verstand!

INTRODUCTION:

The AAR which is about to follow was inspired by a spirited debate in the BETA forum about the capabilities of the Panzer IV, especially compared to the Sherman. I think as this AAR unfolds you might be surprised by some of the events as they happen. I will try to explain the reasoning and how the game data works in certain circumstances as these events arise.

I will say that this little game, fought against Warren The_Capt Miron really opened my eyes about how to conduct a tank battle while equipped with what is obviously inferior equipment. There will be highs and lows for both sides, the battle will ebb and flow across the map, and yes Virginia, many tanks will die.

So, if you enjoy hearing death screams coming from within an armored coffin, then stay tuned. This AAR might be just what you are looking for.

Bil's Reports

BATTLE SETUP

PRE-BATTLE PLANNING

OPENING MOVES (part 1)

OPENING MOVES (part 2)

First Contact! First Blood! Part 1

First Contact! First Blood! Part 2

First Contact! First Blood! Part 3

RUBBER BULLETS Part 1

RUBBER BULLETS Part 2

MINUTE 4 – Part 1

MINUTE 4 – An Explanation

MINUTE 4 – Part 2

MINUTE 5

MINUTE 6

MINUTE 7

MINUTE 8

MINUTE 9

MINUTE 10 - Part 1

MINUTE 10 - Part 2

MINUTE 11 - Part 1

MINUTE 11 - Part 2

MINUTE 12

MINUTE 13

MINUTE 14

MINUTE 15

MINUTE 16

MINUTE 17 - Part 1

MINUTE 17 - Part 2

MINUTE 18 - Part 1

MINUTE 18 - Part 2

CEASE FIRE - Part 1

CEASE FIRE - Part 2

Warren's Reports

BATTLE SETUP

PRE-BATTLE PLANNING

FIRST CONTACT

THREE MINUTE MARK

FOUR MINUTE MARK PART 1

FOUR MINUTE MARK PART 2

FIVE MINUTE MARK

SIX MINUTE MARK

SEVEN MINUTE MARK

EIGHT/NINE MINUTE MARK

TEN MINUTE MARK

ELEVEN MINUTE MARK PART 1

ELEVEN MINUTE MARK PART 2

TWELVE MINUTE MARK

THIRTEEN MINUTE MARK

FOURTEEN MINUTE MARK

FIFTEEN MINUTE MARK

CEASE FIRE

Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

BATTLE SETUP

To start off, this was a Quick Battle (QB) game and I want to make something clear right off the bat. I’m not going to get into the nitty gritty of setting up a QB. What I will do though is post a few screen shots, with a few explanations, and then I’m going to move right into the action, which for me starts with pre-battle planning: estimating enemy courses of action (COA), terrain analysis, etc. you know, the fun stuff. ;)

I don’t want to dwell too much on the game mechanics, as I don’t approach the game that way. I am a seat of the pants player who fights using the appropriate tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) applicable to the situation. The ins and outs of what specific tank I should use to attack a particular enemy tank based on charts, graphs, and other data I ignore. I look at my available force, assign objectives based on experience and hope for the best.

First the quick battle setup. Warren actually set this little battle up and here are the parameters as they show in the initial briefing screen after units have been purchased and setup begins:

001briefingg.jpg

Purchase screen:

002qbscreen01.jpg

From the purchase screen above you can see that for a battle with those parameters I have 2560 points to spend on anything I wish (as long as my purchase fit within the rarity allowances). QBs can be restricted to main branches, infantry, armor, or be a mix.

You might also see that from this screen it is possible to preview the map in CMBN (if the player setting up the QB so chooses). This allows you to examine the map and customize your force accordingly. Maps can either be chosen by the player setting up the game, or chosen automatically. In this case Warren chose the map himself. One of the BETA testers, Mark Ezra deserves extra praise for compiling the maps for the QB system in CMBN. thanks Mark!

When we were setting this game up Warren sent me an e-mail and basically said, here you go, buy some tanks and let’s have at it! So, after examining the map (which you will see in the next installment) I decided to go with a pure armor force. What I have discovered in CMBN is that Panthers and Tigers are way more than a match for the lowly Sherman, so I decided to purchase Pz-IVH's so Warren and I would be on even ground.

The Pz-IVH should fight on roughly equal terms with the Sherman right?

004qbscreen03.jpg

I went with 12 tanks in two five tank Platoons with a two tank Company HQ element. I made them all Pz-IVH’s and adjusted leadership ratings and experience until I had spent practically every point allotted to me.

The screen above does not represent my actual force, I include it as an example of how the purchase screen appears (with a4 Pz-IV's selected). The eagle eyed among you might notice that there is an area at the bottom where you can change vehicle type and model.

Also highlighted is an example of the player selectable attributes for each vehicle. Playing with these does effect the point cost for the vehicle though. I went with either veteran, crack, or elite crews, and that probably cost me two to three tanks. My rational was that I expected to be outnumbered by Warren’s tanks so I wanted crews that would hit often, and well.

…it is not so much the kind or number of our tanks but the spirit and skill of the tank soldiers that count.

From the German Army pamphlet: Panzer Vorwärts! Aber mit Verstand!

Next: Pre-Battle Planning.

Did I notice that map selection right? Picked by a human, ooh I can see the arguments starting already, gamey picks, and now gamey map picks......

I like it, should lead to some very interesting discussions post game, or games....

Well I'll chime in here about now. First off don't expect fancy pics from me, I have no idea how to do that so people will have to live with my stunning written prose.

Bil has all of the turns of the game so you will see plenty of pics from the US side.

As to force purchase; I went with a slightly more all arms force. I purchased a platoon of Shermans (75 and 76 gun mix), a platoon of M10s and basically a Coy(-) of Airborne less their mortars. All in the Regular quality level.

The map as you will see was a mixed of open and treed on either side with a fairly open objective (few houses sprinkled in) almost in the dead center.

I'll let Bil give you his plan and then I will put mine out there.

Yes, the guy who sets up the game can choose the map AND preview it before finalizing his selection. And yes, I do expect there will be some gnashing of teeth and whining about this by the 2nd player. Our standard answer to that is... if you find someone trying to screw you over in multiplayer, refuse to play with him again. Works every time :D

Steve

Yes, the guy who sets up the game can choose the map AND preview it before finalizing his selection. And yes, I do expect there will be some gnashing of teeth and whining about this by the 2nd player. Our standard answer to that is... if you find someone trying to screw you over in multiplayer, refuse to play with him again. Works every time :D

Steve

I shall be using the old, 'next time I choose the map' line I think.

Can you let the PC choose for you as well?

I shall be using the old, 'next time I choose the map' line I think.

Can you let the PC choose for you as well?

I believe Heer Hardenberger said this:

This allows you to examine the map and customize your force accordingly. Maps can either be chosen by the player setting up the game, or chosen automatically. In this case Warren chose the map himself.

The map preview is the same as looking at the map from the 3D preview in the editor. You can explore the map in 3D, you see your setup zone(s) and you also can see the objective(s).

That's it. No information on your enemy's purchases, chances are you'll find out about that the hard way. ;) No trenches, foxholes,or other engineering works.. you have to buy those in the purchase screen so they won't be on the map until the game begins.

Does that help?

Bill,

It looks like your total Budget was 2560 points, and Rarity was also listed as 2560 points. Can you elaborate a little on how this works?

Did you both start with 2560 points available?

Were both of you allowed to pick anything available within the June 44' time frame?

Why did you decide on all tanks with no infantry support?

Thanks!