Allied blitz on Italy '39?

I'm amazed the game actually allows this. As a historian I find this highly unrealistic. Though my opponent has pulled it off with an impressive amphibious force for December '39 landing 2 Armies and 2 Corps. I gotto laugh at this. I need something a little more realistic.

I'm not so sure. It really is a big sacrifice to achieve this, its very risky and usually leaves the Allies very vulnerable in other ways (SeaLion, other counters). I know some people believe its gamey but I think its legitimate.

The Axis don't allways do what they're supposed to do either, like invading Spain, Sweden, Turkey, Persia. If the Allies restrict themselves to historical options they will be very predictable. Historicaly the French stopped the Italian offensive against southern France and if the Germans had not overrun the French in the north the Italians may have had serious problems defending against a French offensive. The Italian military in 1939 was less than worthless, the Germans would have had a better chance of winning the war if Italy had remained neutral.

A huge improvement of this game would be to make Italy a separate power enabeling the Axis player to move Italian units prior to war entry, but forcing Italy to develop their own technology and build and reinforce their own units, it is more than rediculous that the Italian units are just as good as the Germans.

That would be a very good idea for the next patch!

A huge improvement of this game would be to make Italy a separate power enabeling the Axis player to move Italian units prior to war entry, but forcing Italy to develop their own technology and build and reinforce their own units, it is more than rediculous that the Italian units are just as good as the Germans.

That would be a very good idea for the next patch!

I agree 100%. Although I love the game, losing Italy and France as major powers was a terrible choice in my opinion. France and italy should have there own research etc. I think I remember reading it was "limited by the game engine". Too bad the game engine wasn't tweaked.

I'm playing a game now and have level 5 italian tanks and level 5 italian air, and of course level 3 italian subs.

The game is great, but this could make it better.

It's only possible because the allied player knows where the Italian units are placed (having played the game before). This would, of course, not be the case in real life. Please see my post in the New Features thread for a possible solution. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

back in the sc2 blitzkrieg days, you could move major neutrals' units around even when not yet mobilized - placing ships and/or units near Rome would render the Rome Gambit useless

In SC2 you cannot do that so the Rome Gambit (a name from the ancient days of SC-1 btw) is again a viable option - the gain outweighs the risk IMO if you do it as soon as 1939.

Either set a game rule which forbids the gambit or edit the entrenchment of the Rome garrison to 6? (can't remember now what's the entrenchment atm).