Is excess oil or excess food better?

bill brock

So which is better, to build up your oil reserves or your food reserves? I am thinking that excess oil is better because it increases your rate of production, so you can build your tanks faster when you are in a war. Excess food grows your population, but how does that help? Sure, you might get bigger cities, but unless that also helps the rate of production I am not sure what the big deal is about having larger urban areas.

I thought so, which is why in one game I quickly sold a lot of oil for food and thus built up my food account to the excess level. So my city populations are growing faster. But the production rate has not changed, I don't think. That is why I want to know the answer to this question. Would it have been better to push oil up to the excess level?

I thought so, which is why in one game I quickly sold a lot of oil for food and thus built up my food account to the excess level. So my city populations are growing faster. But the production rate has not changed, I don't think. That is why I want to know the answer to this question. Would it have been better to push oil up to the excess level?

I think I'd have to sit down and do the math. It would be dependent on how long the game lasts. Extra oil would give you an immediate production bonus. Extra population helps, but its benefits are spread-out over the future. Also, if you're selling oil to buy food, you're probably getting a bad exchange rate, which could also influence the calculation.