Is CMBB Windows 7 friendly... ?

In terms of Windows 7 itself, it probably isn't a problem. You will probably want to "Run as administrator" when playing the game (a selection in the popup menu).

The main issue may be what video card you have and what artifacts you may see. For Nvidia 'fog' will be gone. I can't remember if that is the case with ATI/AMD or not. You may see some issues with ATI/AMD, which may necessitate purchasing the 1.04 patch. There's also the issue with certain text boxes with ATI/AMD that you'll have to apply the imperfect workaround 'Radeon_Text_Fix' (which applies whether it was Windows XP, Vista or 7).

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, if you have a previous 1.03 version of the game that used disc-based copy-protection, then the 1.04 patch will convert your executable to using eLicense. This shouldn't be too much of a problem and does get rid of the need to load up the CD to play the game. However we do run into issues with some security software and the occasional need for DEP (Data Execution Prevention) settings needing to be changed.

Yes, if you have a previous 1.03 version of the game that used disc-based copy-protection, then the 1.04 patch will convert your executable to using eLicense.

*ack* Makes it a no-go for me. Looks like I'll be using XP even longer. (I pass on all DRM's that require internet and/or limit installs... although I got nailed by pre-ordering CMSF before knowing they used this DRM).

• 3 weeks later...

I am running 1.03 on Windows 7. The only problem I've noticed that I think has to do with the OS is that if I am running some programs (Firefox, Visual Studio 2008), then CMBB will sometimes not let me task-switch back to CMBB. If I leave CMBB (e.g. via Alt+Tab) with those programs running, sometimes it will get in a state where whenever I switch back to CMBB, it appears for only a second and then minimizes again. Closing the other programs will let me get back into the CMBB session though.

I too am not planning to spend money for a patch that requires an Internet login to play.

The 1.04 patch killed the ugly, black splotches, that my AMD Radeon 5750 was producing in CMBB with all drivers up to 11.1 .

Recommended.

I've just purchased a Win7 machine myself and I've noticed that when playing either CMBB or CMAK that you get 2 or 3 smallish rectangles appear at just above the skyline level (at view level 3) with, what appears to be a condensed version of the entire map jammed in there. Is this the AMD bug people have been experiencing?

If so, is there no other way to fix it other then having to install the DRM protected v1.04 patch? I simply hate DRM's, especially when I have a game that doesn't need it at all with an earlier operating system.

Regards

KR

this is why i swear by windows xp. so many games are turning into nightmare headache's cos their not fully supported. what a shame..and whats this DRM? i know what it is but they sure kept it quiet about it being included in the patch?, but then again, in their defense, if its like the DRM which came with shock force, then thats about the best DRM your gona get nowadays..

if its like the DRM which came with shock force, then thats about the best DRM your gona get nowadays..

From Battlefront it is. But then again, they are not the only wargame on the market. Not to mention my CMBO, CMBB, & CMAK work just fine under XP. They may not have all the bells and whistles anymore, but they keep working whether I have internet or not. Whether Battlefront still exists or not. Whether elicense still exists or not. Granted, I never thought the strategy guide worked too well, under any system. *grin*

The 1.04 patch does not require an internet login to play. You must activate the license key over the internet or indirectly through another computer hooked up to the internet. Once that is done, the game does NOT go out and check some internet server each time you want to run the game. If you need to unlicense the game, then that particular computer will need to be connected to the internet in order to contact the server to unlicense. Once that is completed, you do not need to be hooked up to the internet.

So you only need to be hooked up to the internet during the licensing or unlicensing phases. Outside of those times, you do not need to be hooked up in order to play the game.

eLicense is not perfect, but I believe it is a pretty good system. We do run into some issues with security software, but most of the time there are workarounds.

The 1.04 patch updated a few of the DirectX routines that CMBB and CMAK use to draw the screen. These newer DirectX calls/routines are better supported by the current video drivers. Thus the 1.04 patch mildly future-proofs the games when it comes to newer drivers. This will not always be the case, but it does help at times, like with the repeating mini-text block on the 3D screen using ATI/AMD drivers on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

The 1.04 patch does not require an internet login to play.

A bit of a Catch 22 in there somewhere methinks... you don't need an internet connection to play with the patch, but you do need an internet connection to ever use the patch, which you need to play with the patch.

Got it. *grin*

The 1.04 patch is a 'download only' product, so you need the internet to download it. To activate the eLicense license key you do need the internet on one computer or another. To unlicense the game you definitely need access on the computer that the game/patch is installed on.

Beyond these periods in time you do not need an active internet connection to play (solo of course). An internet connection is NOT required each time you play the game. Once the license is activated for an installation it remains activated and no "checks" over the internet are necessary to play a gaming session. So until you need to unlicense that installation (which you may need to do if you want to use the game on more than two computers or you make hardware or major software changes), you don't need to be hooked up to the internet once you've installed the patch and activated the license.

eLicense is not perfect, but for a copy-protection system it is fairly unobtrusive. It's obviously not the same as not having any copy-protection system, but we really wouldn't survive as a gaming developer without one (despite some customer's opinions to the contrary).

A bit of a Catch 22 in there somewhere methinks... you don't need an internet connection to play with the patch, but you do need an internet connection to ever use the patch, which you need to play with the patch.

Got it. *grin*

The 1.04 patch is a 'download only' product, so you need the internet to download it.

Refers right back to the Catch 22 of elicense. If elicense wasn't added to a patch for a game that didn't have or need elicense (because the game was already protected), you wouldn't necessarily have to download it personally (due to the need to purchase a patch).

eLicense is not perfect, but for a copy-protection system it is fairly unobtrusive.

Semantics are in the eye of the beholder.

we really wouldn't survive as a gaming developer without one (despite some customer's opinions to the contrary).

BFC already had one for the games in question. I'll not argue and/or debate the merits of having one at all (no one ever wins that debate!), except to say it is incredibly disheartening for a paying customer to have to deal with increasingly obtrusive copy protections, while the thieves don't.

The problem with the original 'copy-protection' that the CMx1 games had was that it was so easily circumvented anyone could do it. A consultant found thousands of copies of our games online that had been hacked to operate without copy protection.

The problem of not including copy-protection/DRM is we don't know which of our 'paying customers' is a thief/cracker who would distribute our game for free. Since we're a small company with a game that has a very limited appeal, we haven't been the target of many hackers for our games using eLicense. The eLicense DRM is strong enough that the hackers who may have the skills to possibly break it, haven't bothered (to our knowledge). The hacked copies of CMSF that are out there are typically hacks of the Paradox distribution, which uses a different DRM.

The CMBB and CMAK patches included eLicense because at the time the programmer who actually fixed the code was NOT an employee (Phillip Culliton). So in order to compensate him, we had to charge for it and include a DRM. There may have been other reasons that I'm not privy to, but those seem to be the primary reasons the 1.04 patch has a DRM on it.

A consultant found thousands of copies of our games online that had been hacked to operate without copy protection.

not the same as not having any copy-protection system, but we really wouldn't survive as a gaming developer without one (despite some customer's opinions to the contrary).

Those customers and their crazy opinions! *wink-wink-nudge-nudge*

• 2 years later...

I recently reinstalled CMBB so that I could play a few battles with a local fellow. Unfortunately, I've long since lost my License Key. I did pay for it when the patch was released a few years back. I've since gone through two computers and am now using Windows 7. Is it possible to verify my previous purchase and have that license key sent to me?

If you purchased the '1.04 patch', then your license key should be recorded in your Battlefront Store account IF you purchased a download option (which is the only manner that this particular patch is distributed).

You can reset your password by entering the email account you believe is associated with that purchase on our Lost Password page. If the email address isn't recognized you'll get an error. If it is, then an email should be sent to you. However it is possible for this email to be classified as spam/junk or to possibly be 'wait-listed' or 'grey-listed' (where there is a significant delay in sending the email to the account by the receiver's email service).

With the password reset email it should also specify your 'username', which is called 'user account' near the very beginning of the password reset email. Login at the top of the main Battlefront page and once logged in go to 'My Account' and then the Orders within that account.

The 1.04 patch was released in July/August of 2009. Your orders should list the license key. However your download has probably expired by now (they last for 365 days or 10 download attempts).

License keys do not expire. Download links DO expire, but the license keys do not. A '501' error indicates that you are either using the wrong license key (it is for something else) or you have incorrect or missing characters in it.

If you get an 'error 11', that indicates that no more activations are available. They are either in use or 'lost' due to changes to the computer that had an activation that was NOT unlicensed before those changes occurred (if there was an opportunity to unlicense beforehand).

The 1.04 upgrade license key CANNOT be used for a CMBB 1.03 installation. You have to have the 1.04 patch installed BEFORE activating the 1.04 license key.

eLicense license keys are often (though not always) 32-characters long (not including dashes). The characters are numbers 0-9 and letters A-F. Some license keys are 15 or 16 characters long and they may have numbers 0-9 and letters A-Z. If there are dashes in your license key, type those in too.