zeitgeist: moving forward (full video)

toxic.zen

I have watched the first hour and am amazed... Some obvious stuff covered and a lot of compelling material as well. It goes into myths our culture engenders about class and tendencies towards violence. The inherent self destructiveness of our current economic system founded on large scale consumption of finite resources for a disproportionately small amount of people, and more.... It has a lot of very educated folks. speaking in it, Im going to watch the rest soon. I recommend highly!

Ignoring the first 6 minutes the first hour is interesting. After that it seems to lose its way in setting the problems of the world to be sorted by an architect inspired fantasy world. I lasted 107 minutes.

I do not dispute the problems, a lot of which I have posted about myself previously. But, ht esimple solutions posited make me wish for a more practical film.

BTW the first section is worthwhile in highlighting the nature of heredity in affecting life. Particularly interesting was the highlighting that the brest cancer gene was only an indicator. So for every 100 women with breast cancer only 7 had the the propensity gene. And more to the point the not all the women who have the gene are going to get breast cancer.

The speaking heads all make good reasoned points about biology/child rearing etc. And all scientists with pedigree.

Dysfunctional socities, the obscene gaps between rich and poor, the corruption on Wall St. are all familiar and are concerns that need to be addressed. This Utopia view though is not going to be effective -I could be wrong the exciting bit may be at the end - but I doubt it.

I finally saw it to the end. I must say i enjoyed the whole thing, it was compelling, and evoked some emotions as well as making me think. The part where they break down how society could go about enacting the more sustainable civilization was dry in some parts, and could maybe have been left out and just referred to for exploration at there website. But overall I'm really glad i was able to see it! I think the established track humanity is on is a crash course to destruction, and as the narrator says "this s###'s got to go!"

Yeah its ok..ish but rather naive... the notion of a global command economy that succeeds where the soviet union failed is based on the notion that bar code tracking system is of a maturity that supply and demand and importantly equitable distribution can be more accurately modeled than current market actors who apply market competitiveness. The sections on city and urban design are almost comical like something out of Logans run. Part of human existence resides in organic unplanned growth and living in some bubble city is unlikely to be adopted. there is a fair amount of technorapture stuff flung in there which i find dubious.

The paradox is the film is correct I think about its criticism of market system inefficiency which is based around short term cycles of inbuilt obsolescence and debt. However a market system that use times scales of benefit measured generationally rather than individually would bring about a far greater degree of efficiency in a way this zeitgiest bunch hope for...

ie the market system is not invalid as long as the maximum profit is measured against the lifespan of the resource rather than a yearly salary or ledger sheet.

I suppose its thought provoking and brave...

its essentially a sort of scientific new age communism(dispite claiming not to be). I am not so much agin it but it looks out of place in this world.

sh!t is F@%ked up