Southern Hemisphere CM:BN Preview

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first one to actually express an interest in a start time! :)

When the boom drops on the RSVPs (at 2400 local today) I’ll send everyone a PM and an email (if its in your profile) outlining:

1. My understanding of who is coming.

2. A suggested venue (based on “1”) and

3. A suggested start time.

If 1000 is too early is 1100 (or 1200) better?

Well part of the Blurb back on the 25th was:

Update as at 251330LJAN11

Questions for you:

Start time?

Duration:

Do you want some sort of 1000 - 1500 epic (with say a BBQ lunch halfway) to help justify the travel?

or

A brief 2hrs or so “overview”, have a play with type session (where you aren’t falling asleep and I don’t lose my voice) maybe 1400 - 1600?

Again feedback welcome. :)

So I’m glad I’m now getting some sort of response. :)

The location will depend on attendance.

So as I said earlier at 2400 tonight, RSVPs will close, I’ll add up who reckons they are coming and work out if it can be held at my home or if I need to pony up some cash, book somewhere and then lug everything there.

If its less than say ten I think home can handle it. :)

Alright so the witching hour has passed (plus a bit to allow for people who got on the turps last night).

The final numbers are:

Destraex1 (+ Friend)

zonks40

dakuth (plus “mates”. No numbers provided by cutoff so I’m counting this as dakuth only).

WillLight

Fenris

Johnsy

Bodkin

2 mates of mine

Myself

If everyone comes I make that 11 so it will be at my house.

It will be a bit of a pinch but much easier from my point of view than booking somewhere, pulling the house apart to take it there, put it all together again and then bring it all back at the end.

Timings: I think 1230 for a NLT 1300 start.

If everyone is there at 1245 we start then, if someones in traffic or whatever we can wait.

May I suggest people grab their lunch en route and either eat it before you arrive or bring it along.

We will have a break after say an hour but I don’t want anyone collapsing from starvation.

I’ll confirm this via PM but please email me (details under the username) so I can be sure I’ve sent you something.

Food, drink, accommodation: No Change - still “Your problem“ :)

Perhaps a mass dinner afterwards? (somewhere that I’m not well known :))

Version shown: Depends on where things are at.

Other details: Will have it on a couple of machines and will build a LAN for the activity.

Looking at doing some sort of “screen share” thing for people who can’t make it.

However this will be “live” (not stored somewhere) so if you are in a majorly different time zone it wont help with the sleep deprivation (assuming it works).

IMPORTANT STUFF

I’ve spoken to the powers that be at BTS / BFC and these are the “rules” for the activity (both from their point of view and so I have a home after its finished):

1. Firstly NDAs (Non Disclosure Agreement)

There is no formal signed agreement however your attendance (or watching the video stream) signifies your agreement to the following:

An acknowledgement that the product is not complete and that some parts are still a "work in progress".

A commitment not to publicly talk about (or publish screenshots or photos of) what you saw in more than generalisations.

So:

“The Infantry modelling was cool” is fine.

“The Infantry modelling needs work” is fine.

“Here’s a picture of a Sherman that I took” is not fine.

“The boot strap on the 2nd rifleman is all f**ked up” is not fine.

2. Be prepared for answers like "no idea" to questions like "When will it ship?" "How much will it cost?", etc.

That's not my call and I'll happily parrot the same response all afternoon and I suspect you'll get bored before I.

3. "Friends": More than happy for you to invite one or two people along to expand the customer base, but you need to tell me before they turn up.

However, SMSing, Tweeting, FaceBooking or whatever 100s of your mates that there's a party at my place at the time, date, location will result in my good friends in the NSW Police Force telling them to move along and charging you with Trespass and anything else they want to think up (sorry but these days this has to be said :().

Once I have final details I'll ask you to either PM me or send an email to me via the Battlefront Forum and I'll respond with:

Address:

Time:

A copy of these guidleines.

4. Smoking. Sorry you'll have to go outside for cancer breaks and collect your butts, etc.

5. Location constraints: More than likely this will be at my home and you are coming on the understanding that you wont trash the place (BFC wont reimburse me for cleaning the carpet, etc.).

6. Enjoy. Now that I've got all the bad things that had to be said, said I'm sure it will go off well.

If you can’t accept these limitations them I’m afraid I wont be seeing you.

LASTLY BUT VERY IMPORTANT.

Be aware that my job is such that short notice commitments can arise that I must respond to.

There is chance that such a short notice event might well happen (Bush Fire, etc.) and in that case I will have to go and this wont happen.

I don’t want people to risk investing large sums on Interstate travel, accommodation, etc. just for this to be cancelled at short notice (i.e. less than 24hrs) and you potentially losing your money.

If you are travelling from afar, please consider this before you commit funds

I can’t tell my CO, “Sir I’d love to help but I have some guys coming around this weekend”.

Monday night update.

PM sent to all those who expressed interest.

Email responses received from four (destraex, zonks40, fenris and johnsy)

Have now sent email to WillLight as he had an email address linked to the sign in account.

Afraid I can’t do anything else for dakuth and bodkin (guys please look under “private messages” Top Right Hand corner of screen next time you visit).

By this Thursday I’ll email the address contact number, confirmed start time (sorry but I can’t just put the details in this post).

Confirmed - No webcast option:

I've thought about it and I don't think a webcast is a good idea. It does open up things up too much pre-release.

The good thing about the previews we've done in the past is that there is at least one "expert" in the room who can answer questions, often by actually using the game as the answer. In theory this is possible with a Webcast at the time it is being done, but it's simply logistically impossible to field questions from everybody and give meaningful answers. Which means people are passively engaged and that can produce a lot of undesirable results.

When a copy of the Webcast is posted and viewed out of any context, that's when the real problems start! It would be like someone watching a sports highlight show and then thinking they have enough information to judge the entire game, league, player trade negotiations, etc. That's almost never a good thing.

In conclusion... let's keep this relatively small and relatively controlled :)

Steve

Email to attendees to go out in the morning. :)

My ability to convert time zones is sub-par. How did the preview go? Any details?

Thanks

Chad

No we paid it off and went to the pub. :)

Seriously yes it was held a little over twenty four hours ago now.

However just before it started the overly enthusiastic network security software here decided to lock me out of the Battlefront Forum.

This situation is currently still in effect as far as i know at home but luckily I had to travel for work so I can now connect from my wireless modem instead.

Just composing the other thread now.

Will put a link here when its done.

I have had my problems recently with that "overly enthusiastic ..." security thing. Sadly, it probably doesn't even catch the real "bad guys" but seems to give the rest of us issues.

Back on topic..I am wondering if this preview in any way indicates this game is near release?

We have a pool going here, and my date is the 1st week of April, so can you slow it down a little if it seems to be before that?? haha