Southern Hemisphere CM:BN Preview

Update as at 251330LJAN11

Have just had our Leave “re planning” Conference to sort out the flow on effects of the flood relief work.

The good news is that I have leave. :)

The even better news is that after everyone else had a go the weekend 19 - 20 Feb was still free and I was able to grab it (subject to “service need” of course).

So I’m thinking:

Date: Saturday 19 February.

Location: Based on responses to date - my place (suburban Sydney) glued to big TV.

Food, drink, accommodation: No Change - still “Your problem“ :)

Perhaps a mass dinner afterwards? (somewhere that I’m not well known :))

Version shown: Depends on where things are at.

Other details: Will have it on a couple of machines and will build a LAN for the activity.

Looking at doing some sort of “screen share” thing for people who can’t make it.

However this will be “live” (not stored somewhere) so if you are in a majorly different time zone it wont help with the sleep deprivation (assuming it works).

Questions for you:

Start time?

Duration:

Do you want some sort of 1000 - 1500 epic (with say a BBQ lunch halfway) to help justify the travel?

or

A brief 2hrs or so “overview”, have a play with type session (where you aren’t falling asleep and I don’t lose my voice) maybe 1400 - 1600?

Again feedback welcome. :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

I'll have to check and see if I'm rostered off on the 19th, if so count me in. Are you at Holsworthy? I'm not far away if you are which means I'm not too concerned about travel. Anyway I'd be a happy with a 3 - 4 hour session no preference for time but a bbq would be good.

I'll let you know Thursday if that's not too late.

A small update from me, in the last week things got rather deep with this girl I hooked up with on my skiing trip. This means I am now unsure whether this is the right time to leave everything behind for a couple of weeks to do stupid things with other women. Which is what time in the sun does to people.

I would come with her if she didn't have work. :D

I am now looking at preview options that would only take a day or two and take place in a damp, depressing climate. I will definitely be coming down there at some point, though. :D

Update as at 271900LJAN11

As I said previously, the good news is that I have leave. :) and I was able to grab the weekend 19 - 20 Feb (subject to “service need” of course).

So I’m thinking:

Date: Saturday 19 February.

Location: Based on responses to date - my place (suburban Sydney) glued to big TV.

Food, drink, accommodation: No Change - still “Your problem“ :)

Perhaps a mass dinner afterwards? (somewhere that I’m not well known :))

Version shown: Depends on where things are at.

Other details: Will have it on a couple of machines and will build a LAN for the activity.

Looking at doing some sort of “screen share” thing for people who can’t make it.

However this will be “live” (not stored somewhere) so if you are in a majorly different time zone it wont help with the sleep deprivation (assuming it works).

IMPORTANT NEW STUFF

I’ve spoken to the powers that be at BTS / BFC and these are the “rules” for the activity (both from their point of view and so I have a home after its finished):

1. Firstly NDAs (Non Disclosure Agreement)

There is no formal signed agreement however your attendance (or watching the video stream) signifies your agreement to the following:

An acknowledgement that the product is not complete and that some parts are still a "work in progress".

A commitment not to publicly talk about (or publish screenshots or photos of) what you saw in more than generalisations.

So:

“The Infantry modelling was cool” is fine.

“The Infantry modelling needs work” is fine.

“Here’s a picture of a Sherman that I took” is not fine.

“The boot strap on the 2nd rifleman is all f**ked up” is not fine.

2. Be prepared for answers like "no idea" to questions like "When will it ship?" "How much will it cost?", etc.

That's not my call and I'll happily parrot the same response all afternoon and I suspect you'll get bored before I.

3. RSVP: I need to know no later than Saturday the 5th of February it you intend to attend, detailing your preference for a start time and duration.

This will drive the final location, start time and duration and I need to know NLT a fortnight out so I can book somewhere if required and post the final details to you directly and here for people intending to watch it (assuming I get that to work).

Please briefly post again after this if you intend to come on the 19th (so I don’t need to trawl back through the earlier posts about “Yes I’m coming” closely followed by some soft line about “I met a girl so now I’m not”).

4. "Friends": More than happy for you to invite one or two people along to expand the customer base, but you need to tell me before they turn up.

However, SMSing, Tweeting, FaceBooking or whatever 100s of your mates that there's a party at my place at the time, date, location will result in my good friends in the NSW Police Force telling them to move along and charging you with Trespass and anything else they want to think up (sorry but these days this has to be said :().

Once I have final details I'll ask you to either PM me or send an email to me via the Battlefront Forum and I'll respond with:

Address:

Time:

A copy of these guidleines.

5. Smoking. Sorry you'll have to go outside for cancer breaks and collect your butts, etc.

6. Location constraints: More than likely this will be at my home and you are coming on the understanding that you wont trash the place (BFC wont reimburse me for cleaning the carpet, etc.).

7. Enjoy. Now that I've got all the bad things that had to be said, said I'm sure it will go off well.

If you can’t accept these limitations them I’m afraid I wont be seeing you.

Questions for you:

Interested (i.e. >75% chance of coming)?

Start time?

Duration:

Do you want some sort of 1000 - 1500 epic (with say a BBQ lunch halfway) to help justify the travel?

or

A brief 2hrs or so “overview”, have a play with type session (where you aren’t falling asleep and I don’t lose my voice) maybe 1400 - 1600?

LASTLY BUT VERY IMPORTANT.

Be aware that my job is such that short notice commitments can arise that I must respond to (note the bit in red above about leave being approved subject to “service need”)

There is chance that such a short notice event might well happen (Bush Fire, etc.) and in that case I will have to go and this wont happen.

I don’t want people to risk investing large sums on Interstate travel, accommodation, etc. just for this to be cancelled at short notice (i.e. less than 24hrs) and you potentially losing your money.

If you are travelling from afar, please consider this before you commit funds

I can’t tell my CO, “Sir I’d love to help but I have some guys coming around this weekend”.

Again feedback welcome. :)

(so I don’t need to trawl back through the earlier posts about “Yes I’m coming” closely followed by some soft line about “I met a girl so now I’m not”)

You hate me now, don't you. :D

Anyway, sorry I can't make it but I hope it all goes down well and the resale value on your home doesn't take a terrible plunge. :)

No its fine.

Its just that my place can handle say 10 people in comfort watching things on the TV.

If they all come and do tell me about the mate they want to bring - now we have 20 people and I can book somewhere they can all see.

If they all come and don’t tell me about the mate they brought - now we have 20 people and about half wont see anything.

Of course the mate(s) has/ve to be happy with the rules too.

Also any feedback re the options for possible duration / start time?

Unfortunately I can't edit the title now to include the word "Sydney" so until the morning of the 5th I'll bump this each day so people have a chance to read and confirm their attendance.

I'd rather not have to tell someone on the 6th "too late" because they just noticed the thread.

Cumulative total to date:

Destraex1 and friend

I'm just asking around my gaming group to see if anyone else wants to come with me. If I get a small group, I'll probably come - some company for the trip and such.

They're all keen gamers - some more interested in CM than others... but a good preview could lead to more customers :)