Ordinality vs. Percentage

I am curious as to peoples views or comments on scoring a Tournament of four rounds.

Traditionally one just adds up the percentages however that presents problems if players are seriously mismatched. NABLA was designed to sort this out. However I am wondering if just ranking players by the highest being one point , second two etc has advantages.

In this context the second round of BB9 had this intriguing result, well intriguing if you have rivalry!

2 10 12 16 16 16 19 19 19 19 21 21 21 21 22 23 24 26 33

So with two rounds to go we have 3 large ties amongst the Allied players.

As I write this is does strike me that in fact one could also add to this the Axis ranking as both tables actually do record someones combat record versus their Axis or Allied peers. The fact they played on opposite sides is irrelevant.

Axis

5 5 10 11 12 14 14 15 20 21 21 22 23 25 27 32 34 38

! oops

In a traditional tournament say over four rounds peoples percentages are added up and the winner declared

a 53,81,49,62 = 245%

b 54,53,55,60 = 222%

c 30,50,51,65 = 200%

d 42,52,60,50 = 202%

Now if we allocate points to the players on each side as to their place in each round:

A 2 , 1 , 4 , 2 = 9

B 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 = 8

C 4 , 4 , 3 , 1 = 12

D 3 , 3 , 1 , 4 = 11

Ordinally the winner is different from the percentage winner. And in terms of competitive play after round Three the ordinal position looks tasty for the final round

A 7

B 5

C 11

D 7

Either A or D if they come first or second can beat or tie B if he comes third or last.

On the percentage basis the tournament looks pretty much over for first place.

a 183%

b 162%

c 135%

d 152%

It is feasible but unlikely for b or d to overtake a. This may be particularly so if the scenarios in the Tournament are finely balanced and reasonable play tends to the draw. A big score may revolve on playing a noobie or catastrophic bad luck.

SO in my real life example after two of four rounds of BB9 there were 14 players on the Allied side who were involved in three ties. Plenty of honour on the line for Round Three then : )

The second point was whether there was any benefit/problems in merging the Allied and Axis ordinal scores after the Tournament. My gut reaction is that it should be OK. After all the ordinal scores are derived from the actual same battles and being on the other side is irrelevant.