New Computer, CMSF somewhat "slow". Any advice?

I think there really is a such thing as TOO much..my system is WinXP 64 bit, 2GB RAM, 2.99GHz CPU, nVidia 256mb video card...and I never have a problem at all, either. The closest I h ave come to having a problem was TRYING to, to see how large a scenario I could run effectively , and the only problem even there was in a rgt vs rgt game where time compression went to 9:1.

I can run all other games full on. I know about tweaking games and the fps they "should" have. At everything max at 1980x1200 in CM I will get fps that dip into the teens on what I would consider medium sized maps. This just seems very wrong, when all other games under much higher graphical stress get great fps. I highly do not think that it is a system problem on our end.

I am so surprised that these high power machines are having any problems. I have a 2.9GHz with 64 bit Win 7 and 6 GB Ram. The only really hot component is a 295 nVidia card. I run at 2880x1800 with max quality settings and no problems.

There HAS to be something weird going on with your systems.

Can you give me the name of a map to check out and let me know what fps you are seeing? I will check over here to compare. Thanks!

You do seem like you know what is going on, so it feels bad to even ask this...but I ask because before I did not know, and it did affect me..so forgive if it is a dumb question :)

What are you using to show your FPS? I use FRAPs a lot of times, because it makes a good AAR movie..and on large maps it will slow down things by itself if running the whole time, I found. And if not, it just seems that something else is running somewhere in the background to eat so many resources. My system is so old,and not that hot, and mostly I do not like the small or medium maps, usually want to use the large ones, and cannot replicate this with them.

I am so surprised that these high power machines are having any problems. I have a 2.9GHz with 64 bit Win 7 and 6 GB Ram. The only really hot component is a 295 nVidia card. I run at 2880x1800 with max quality settings and no problems.

There HAS to be something weird going on with your systems.

Can you give me a map and the fps you are getting? I'd like to compare. I will note resolution and AA made very little difference to my fps. Tree, model and Shadow rendering is what made the biggest difference. This should tell you many clues about what the issues are and they do not point to to the hardware.

What settings are you using and which map? I can try and replicate it here. If I use Fraps or another fps counter the fps does not change.

I use most of the large maps, including some I have made myself in the 2200m x 2000m range..also NATO Hammerzeit, on the Marine attack into Hamas, I expanded the map to near max size and added 1 reinforced company to Red, and 1 to blue, etc.

Setting I always use are for best graphics, though I have read on these forums that large scenarios tend to downgrade that automatically anyway.(ie. 'best' becomes 'better' which becomes 'fast' etc )

I see I have to d/l and install FRAPS. That's a problem for me. I absolutely hate to d/l and install anything on my gaming machine other than games (and anti-virus/firewall stuff).

After having older machines get screwed up from d/l's I swore no more of that. So my game machine is completely clean of extras. So long as everything runs great I see no reason for tech tweaking or worrying about fps.

If I had problems I would d/l and run tests. Maybe running FRAPS and other stuff is why you're having issues?

No, the system is very clean with very little happening while the game is running. On top of that much more graphically intense games run with very high FPS with apps running at the same time like Teamspeak. Fraps is a very, very low resource and only runs when you tell it. It is a total industry standard.

I consider myself pretty savvy when it comes to building and tweaking computers, not saying I'm like a know at all, not at all but I definitely have had 25+ years doing it, you pick a lot up over the years. :) I really feel something is definitely up with SF that is pretty unique unto itself that is causing these "issues".

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this thread and experiencing the same "sorry ass FPS" with my monster rig I was disappointed. .,,,,,,then I thought..???? something not right here? The frame rate was horrible at the desktop res? 1920x1080. Come on I thought and almost ripped CMSF from my HD in frustration. But I remembered the increase in frames from one comp to another from before so I scratched my head,...???

Then I booted up the game at the UI res (much lower). Still laggy,....what! I thought? So then I rebooted again at the desktop max and wouldn`t you know it,.....wahla nice and smooth as you would expect.

Seems funny but it worked,.....CMSF goodness as one would expect. Not sure of the frames now but who cares its glassy smooth at full max settings with AA.

Weird Stuff,..hope it helps some.