Crashing on start

brycej

Haven't run it in a while.

It ran before.

Using Win 7.

When I start it, I see a flash of the opening screen and then it disappears.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it.

Should I contact the developer?

Not having problems with other programs.

Haven't run it in a while.

It ran before.

Using Win 7.

When I start it, I see a flash of the opening screen and then it disappears.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it.

Should I contact the developer?

Not having problems with other programs.

You could run the Updater application and bring the game up to the latest version. Let me know if you're still having problems after that.

I replied to your Helpdesk ticket before I saw your thread here.

You may want to attempt to unlicense the game (Start Menu > All Programs > Battlefront - Empires of Steel > 'Unlicense EOS') and see if that works. If it doesn't, then temporarily disable any security software you are running (most of the built-in Microsoft security software can remain running). Once you are unable to unlicense EOS, then UNINSTALL EOS. Only do this if you have the installer still (which you hopefully do). Now reinstall EOS (with your security software still disabled). When you launch EOS hopefully it will bring up the license dialog box. If it doesn't, then you will probably need to change the DEP settings. If that isn't enough, then you may be running some security software on your computer that is interfering with eLicense.

Hopefully you can get EOS running and now you can update the game either from within it or with the 'Update EOS' shortcut in the Start Menu group for EOS. The latest version no longer uses eLicense, so when it installs it should unlicense the game (in some manner, I can't remember the exact process).

I am half way there! Unlicensed. Uninstalled. Reinstalled.

Now I am seeing something when I run it. It is demanding my license. It shows the license number. But if I use it, it won't run anymore.

Do I update and then forget the license?

I also have temporarily taken Norton offline.

I ran the extra instructions involving "runservice.exe". There seemed to be no more additional instructions for EOS. Now upon start I get the following error message

EOS.exe Application Error

X The application was unable to start correctly

(0xc0000005). Clike OK to close the application.

It seems that the nature of the program has changed. Do I need the serial number or not. Perhaps not, but it seems I can't go without it. Are other people able to play the game without the extra protection for a lesser price and I can't because I bought early and paid a higher price. It used to work. Can I have what later buyers have? Or is something buried so far down in the registry that I am barred forever? Do I need a new computer now?

Well, sorry to rant. I suppose I can live without the game if it is impossible to run.

I ran the extra instructions involving "runservice.exe". There seemed to be no more additional instructions for EOS. Now upon start I get the following error message

EOS.exe Application Error

X The application was unable to start correctly

(0xc0000005). Clike OK to close the application.

It seems that the nature of the program has changed. Do I need the serial number or not. Perhaps not, but it seems I can't go without it. Are other people able to play the game without the extra protection for a lesser price and I can't because I bought early and paid a higher price. It used to work. Can I have what later buyers have? Or is something buried so far down in the registry that I am barred forever? Do I need a new computer now?

Well, sorry to rant. I suppose I can live without the game if it is impossible to run.

No, all buyers (both early buyers and late buyers) have the same version of the game. I saw your help ticket, but I'll just try to answer your question here. I was going to suggest the same thing that shauny1987 did: make sure you're running as administrator.

Now I am seeing something when I run it. It is demanding my license. It shows the license number. But if I use it, it won't run anymore.

Do I update and then forget the license?

If you run the updater application after reinstalling the game, then you should never see the license screen. (You may also need to set the Updater application to 'run as administrator' so it can write the latest version of the game to your hard drive.) If you single-click on EOS.exe, what version does Windows say you have? It will be something like "1.0.107", "1.01.8xxx", "1.01.15821", or something along those lines.

I used updater 8. It is set as administrator.

It is back to crashing back to the desktop.

EOS is set to administrator. It should have complete control under properties.

Do I not have the latest version of the game?

Maybe a new installer would help.

What I suspect is that when you switched the protection system, you blocked me out. Probably there is something deep in the registry that is keeping this from working.

Yeah, that's the latest version. And you said you get a license screen when you startup, or was the license screen something you were seeing before running the updater?

What I suspect is that when you switched the protection system, you blocked me out. Probably there is something deep in the registry that is keeping this from working.

Hm, the latest version should work. And there shouldn't be anything in the registry that's messing things up. I'm at a loss to explain what's going on. There hasn't been anyone else reporting this problem, so it seems like it must be something particular to your system. Did you say whether you have any anti-virus programs running?

How can it be the same version if the copy protection is different?

Turned off Norton. Gave admin status to everything. Could my installer be broken? Or the prog that takes away the need for the serial number be broken? Or does it still need it? I have no idea what it should look like when you start it.

How can it be the same version if the copy protection is different?

If you have the latest update, then there is no copy protection at all. It's just a regular exe.

Turned off Norton. Gave admin status to everything. Could my installer be broken? Or the prog that takes away the need for the serial number be broken? Or does it still need it? I have no idea what it should look like when you start it.

No, there's no serial number needed. Are you getting a Debug.txt file in your install directory?

This file is used for debugging the application. It is temporary, and can be deleted.

2011/01/10 20:05:16: CTWDxApp::CTWDxApp()

2011/01/10 20:05:16: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), Command Line:

At some point I was getting an actual screen but it wanted and had the serial number.

Although I doubt its hardware related, can you post your DXDIAG for those of us here?

(run dxdiag.exe from the start menu and then save the data to a textfile which i think you can attach to your post)

Seems a bit odd that its just crashing right there.

It's remotely possible that a virus has modified the executable and is causing it to crash:

Try uploading the EOS.exe to virustotal.com just to be sure.

A single anti-virus is rarely enough to catch every virus strain even today.

It's also possible you need to try different video drivers, if you haven't already; Even if everything else works. I can't imagine another reason why it would crash right as things were being initialized.. usually either a problem reading/writing, corruption, missing files, or drivers crashing.

So ultimately I can only suggest the good old fashioned trial and error now.

This file is used for debugging the application. It is temporary, and can be deleted.

At some point I was getting an actual screen but it wanted and had the serial number.

I'm at a loss to guess out why it's crashing. My only idea at this point is to put some more debug information into the startup so that I can figure out where exactly it's crashing and maybe that would give me a hint. I'll put my email address into your private messages, and you can send me an email.

Hey, Bryce. I assume you're still having trouble. Could you get the latest update and let me know what the Debug.txt says after you run the game?

Right now all I am getting after entering the activation code is the demo. Maybe by now I have downloaded too many times.

But even with the demo is a brief blip of a screen and it goes back to the dekstop.

By now I am suspecting that something is wrong down in regit.

The program did work for a while and after you switched your method of protecting it, it stopped working. If I understand what you have done.

I have just downloaded to another machine. This one runs XP not Win 7. It is not the machine I normally use.

The XP machine game does work though I would rather run it on the Win 7 machine. Again I am guessing it is a registry issue.

2011/01/21 23:35:25: CTWDxApp::CTWDxApp()

2011/01/21 23:35:25: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), Command Line:

You should be getting more information than that. Are you running version 1.01.16024? I added a bunch of new debug information to it.

Right now all I am getting after entering the activation code is the demo. Maybe by now I have downloaded too many times.

But even with the demo is a brief blip of a screen and it goes back to the dekstop.

By now I am suspecting that something is wrong down in regit.

The program did work for a while and after you switched your method of protecting it, it stopped working. If I understand what you have done.

I removed all the copy protection. The game doesn't use the registry for anything except to remember where it was last installed.

I have just downloaded to another machine. This one runs XP not Win 7. It is not the machine I normally use.

The XP machine game does work though I would rather run it on the Win 7 machine. Again I am guessing it is a registry issue.

I haven't heard of any issues with Windows 7, but it might have something to do with other software (e.g. antivirus) you have on the machine. I'm not sure. At least we know you have the right version, since you're running it on your XP machine.

I would suspect I am trying to run the latest version since I just redownloaded to the 2 machines. One is mine Win 7. The other is for my wife Win XP. I would like to use it on my computer otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help.

I am not sure I can come up the version number. Right clicking on the file does not give it and the game never really starts running.

I can temporarily disable Norton Antivirus and see if that makes a difference. Do I need to do it when I run the game or also when I download? I would think lots of people use Norton. But I will try it.

BTW the demo not surprisingly has the same problem. I have thought that the two (reg and demo) might be conflicting. But I have run both after uninstalling the other. All my debug.txt are very short. It looks like some initial file is starting to run when it goes to the desktop. At this point, I am less interested in solving the question than knowing what is causing the problem.

Tried to run it with Norton off. Same nothing. Tried it to run as an XP program on Win 7. Same thing.

Maybe I need to uninstall it and install it with Norton off.

Version is 1.1.0.15629. It is there with a right hand click. All files in the folder are run with full admin rights.

Ran update. Hmm. I guess it was not fully updated. I am making progress. The program runs for almost a second before it disappears!

I am now getting a little more info from debug.txt. Here it is:

2011/01/22 10:59:52: CTWDxApp::CTWDxApp()

2011/01/22 10:59:52: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), Command Line:

2011/01/22 10:59:52: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), Version 1.01.16024

2011/01/22 10:59:52: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), 1

2011/01/22 10:59:52: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), 2

2011/01/22 10:59:52: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), 3

2011/01/22 10:59:53: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), 4

2011/01/22 10:59:53: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), 5

2011/01/22 10:59:53: CTWDxApp::InitInstance(), 6