CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin - German side

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow is this new?

I don't remember it always being around, and I don't know when it came in, but when I first consciously noticed I thought "ooooh, that's friggin' awesome!" Trying to creating flat 'shelves' on which to lay down roads was such a hassle.

Do units in shadow have a decreased chance of being spotted?

I don't think so. Not specifically. That would apply to far more locations that just the road edges. Happily, though, shadows generally occur in places where you would expect to get cover and or concealment - in this case from the cuttings themselves ... as long as you're moving left-to-right.

The shoulders, both high and low, look oddly corrugated.

A little. This particular road is running on the diagonal, across the grain of the map.

I felt obliged to spoil it.

Cheers buddy.

In CMx1 it only took a few minutes of fighting for an infantry squad to exhaust its ammo supply. In CMSF it seems like a squad can fire for quite a while before running out of ammo, even with automatic weapons (plus they can resupply). Does the ammo supply last longer in CM:BN? I realize it has not been an issue in this battle yet, but what about other scenarios you may have played? And (you may not be able to answer this) is there any resupply in CM:BN?

It's starting to come up in this battle at the point so I'll cover it a bit more later. But, generally; bolt actions fire slower so that's good. Like CMSF, there is ammo resupply available.

Hi Gryph

I might get round to a detailed look at the sections later, but the short version is: no surprises. If you're familiar with German TOEs, you'll be comfortable with how they appear in the game. Most guys are carrying around standard weapons, but there is a scattering of rarer or unusual models, like the G43.

Funnily enough ... last night I was testing something for which I needed 3 units from either side, so I grabbed a typical German platoon and stripped off a couple of units, and an a-typical US platoon that only has rifles. I didn't need them to fight - it wasn't part of the testing - but once I'd finished what I was looking at I though "hehe - have at it guys" :D This was a dead flat map, no cover, nothing. I just pressed go, and left them to it. In the first run the two platoons started at about about 20m apart, and the Germans - aided especially by their SMGs - quickly attained firepower ascendancy and then proceeded to wipe out the Americans. In the next test the platoons started about 250m apart, and the reverse happened. The SMGs didn't have the reach and were ineffective, the MGs got knocked out and suppressed, then the mass of Garands tore up the remainder.

It wasn't a realistic test, and there weren't any iterations so no statistical significance, etc, but it did reflect what I expect to happen although I suspect with a slightly different setup, or a little bit of luck, in the second test the two German MGs would have dominated instead of being dominated.

Good question. Ammo is displayed differently in CMBN :)

Thanks for the answers there Jon :)

I'm quite curious to see how the sections look in detail. As far as your testing goes, I guess it sort of reveals the picture I was hoping to see :) I really wonder what the optimum engagement ranges are for certain squads as the German are almost surely going to be outgunned at medium range by the large number of US (semi) automatic weapons. Unless an LMG42 or two can balance it out a bit of course.

Can you comment more specifically on the ammo displays? :D

Gryph

It's starting to come up in this battle at the point so I'll cover it a bit more later. But, generally; bolt actions fire slower so that's good. Like CMSF, there is ammo resupply available.

Thanks for the reply and good to know resupply is included. But my main question is the ammo consumption rate compared between CM:BN and CMBO. I would assume it would be slower than CMSF simply because there are fewer automatic weapons.

my main question is the ammo consumption rate compared between CM:BN and CMBO.

Oh heck ... I couldn't answer that in any meaningful way. It's been 5+ years since I even started any of the CMx1 games, and probably 8+ years since I started CMBO.

Comment on Fourth Installment.

I work as a civil engineering designer. And i have to say, many of the programs we use have sometimes trouble to integrate the road model to digital terrain model. And im talking here about applications which license for one computer costs 4000+ $.

So while im still going to bitch about not having tcp/ip wego, or autopause RT, i have to give credit for this.

If that is cryptic to my post then that is what I was wondering/thinking. Just checked the OOB and he has 2x Kubelwagons. How much ammo could a Kubelwagon reasonably hold?

That's actually 2 Multipurpose Vehicle (kubelwagen), with the '2' referring to it being the second one (the other is greyed out/deleted), not that there are two of them.

As it happens, though, there is another kubel and 2 Blitz's that aren't shown on the OoB. I truncated them off the bottom because they've been destroyed in the editor, and their only purpose is to add some litter to the sheeling of the intersection where the first lateral meets the main road (the D-28).

There is a little ammo in a kubel. Not heaps, but a little.

That's actually 2 Multipurpose Vehicle (kubelwagen), with the '2' referring to it being the second one (the other is greyed out/deleted), not that there are two of them.

As it happens, though, there is another kubel and 2 Blitz's that aren't shown on the OoB. I truncated them off the bottom because they've been destroyed in the editor, and their only purpose is to add some litter to the sheeling of the intersection where the first lateral meets the main road (the D-28).

There is a little ammo in a kubel. Not heaps, but a little.

Thanks JonS. So can you be getting ammo from somewhere other than a vehicle?

I like the idea of having a reserve by the way. Hope having a reserve has more pay off than CM1. As stated likely size has something to do with it.

We're hanging on the edge of our seats for each installment and you post a picture of a bucolic road?!?! Vere are ze tanks? Yeah, it is cool having the roads autolevel. I've noticed that in CMSF...

This is a fun DAR.

Thanks,

Ken