CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin - German side

25: Gentlemen, the envelope

overall-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

HUZZAH!

But ... hoo-boy. That score line is very flattering. I’ll take it, though, and make Elvis the proud owner of a new sig line!

The green ticks are objectives achieved, the red crosses are failed objectives, and the blue dots are objectives sort-of achieved.

Here’s the detailed screens. US Terrain Objectives first:

us-locations-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

German Terrain Objectives:

german-locations-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

Although we both have Hills 154 and 144 listed as objectives, we each had quite different areas to go after or hold. Generally I, as German, had to hold the summit and rear of the hills, while Elvis was tasked with securing the forward face up to the summit. This is in keeping with our larger objectives – I had to hold and delay the US forces here, and I could do that best from the reverse slopes of the dominating ground. Elvis, on the other hand, was tasked with moving through the area, and for that he needed to secure the village. That also explains the differences in the relative allocation of points for different locations – la Campagne was worth a total of 300points for Elvis, but for me it’s just a miserable 50. With a bit of thought during the design phase, asymmetric objectives can really make for interesting scenarios.

US Unit Objectives (that is, these are the units of mine that Elvis was trying to eliminate for points):

us-units-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

And finally German Unit Objectives:

german-units-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

Actually, the final score is more flattering than it should be, because I made a mistake when setting up the Exit Objectives. These are new, and at the time it wasn’t really clear how they’re meant to be used and ... I got it wrong. The net result of that cost Elvis 150 points in Terrain Objectives (75 for each location) while I gained about 100 point, maybe more, for units that he didn’t exit but shouldn’t have had to. That would change the final score to something like US:German / 650:700. Still a win, but only just (actually, scores that close would probably be a draw). Also, with just an inch or two more of impetus, Elvis’ final attack on Hill 144 would have cost me 150pts, changing the score to US:German / 650:550. This was a very very close battle.

Elvis fought extremely well, and recovered from the failure of his first attack to come up with a viable alternate plan, and very nearly win this battle. Thanks mate, good game.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS...what is the "parameters" section of the results screen?

The scen editor can set use a vaiety of parameters - friendly cas, enemy cas, friendly condition, enemy condition, friendly ammo, and enemy ammo. Each has a percentage and a points valuie associated. If the player achieves the %age, they get the points.

In this case we both had 100 points available for keeping friendly cas below a %age, but we both failed to look after our troopies so neitehr got the points.

Incidentally, the gross kill stats go a long way towards explaining why attrition is such a great - if despised - approach.

Initially I had 202 men while Elvis had 435 - or odds of a bit better than 2:1. I killed his men at a rate of about 2:1 too (255 total US cas:125 total German cas). However, at the end of the battle I only had 77 men left, while he had 180, or odds of 2.3:1. So, despite suffering very heavy cas, Elvis has noticeably improved his overall posture against my men.

Thanks for all the kind words guys :) It's been a lot of fun, and I'm thrilled you all enjoyed it. We certainly did.

I'm also sure it was quite some work. Thanks for all, I enjoyed it. Good to see you beat the king, but to be honest I thought it was going to swing the other way :P

26: Heros

I want to take this opportunity to highlight a couple of the units that really contributed to the defence of la Campagne.

First off, the 50mm Pak

heros-50mmpak-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

This unit killed a disproportionate number of men – mainly Pioneers – but also his longevity help restrict Elvis’ mobility for three-quarters of the battle. This image is unskinned, but take a look at the detail, right down to the double-walled shield.

Next up, the platoon HQ from 3 Platoon

heros-3pnhq-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

This infantry HQ managed what no other could, destroying a Sherman with infantry anti-tank weapons. A fine example of leading from the front.

Then there was the Scouts on the Cart Track in front of Hill 144

heros-scouts-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

I was surprised at how few men these guys accounted for – I thought it would be more. Still, they singlehandedly destroyed Elvis’ advance at a crucial moment, and gave me a first solid glimpse that victory was within my grasp.

The Sniper.

heros-sniper-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

What can I say. This guy blew through his initial ammo allocation, went back and bombed up, then blew through that too. Overall he achieved a kill with every 5 rounds, and accounted for about one in seven of all my kills. Outstanding.

The Jg.Pz.IV

heros-hill144jgpziv-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

After the destruction of my first Jg.Pz.IV after it had achieved just one kill, things weren’t looking too rosy for me. By destroying almost half of Elvis’ armour this tank-destroyer kept me well in the fight. It also played merry havoc with the attempted advance up the centre along the D-28, freeing me from worry in that area and allowing me to concentrate on the really important battles.

I realize we're dealing with a sample size of one, which has no statistical significance. But the sniper's kill stats strongly imply that after years of people whinibg in the CMSF board about snipers not being effective enough, we can now enjoy years of people whining about snipers being too effective. I realize point allocations probably aren't settled yet, but how much does the sniper cost versus an infantry squad? Has this discussion even started yet. If it hasn't, lets start it, maybe it will annoy Steve badly enough to give us a few more bones.

And your comment about dead heroes accords nicely with the percentage of Medal of Honor winners who live to collect in person.

Great stuff, thanks for taking the time and writing this stuff up.

Will the German troop designations be consistently using the German terms (f.e. 1. Zug, 1. Kompanie) or will there be mixes as shown in the AAR (1. Plt 1. Kp)? Just curious, no nitpicking intended :)

I realize we're dealing with a sample size of one, which has no statistical significance. But the sniper's kill stats strongly imply that after years of people whinibg in the CMSF board about snipers not being effective enough, we can now enjoy years of people whining about snipers being too effective.

Well, the sample size is three since I had three sniper pairs. the first died on turn one, with zero (0) kills, the second went down in la Campagne with maybe 5 kills, and the third survived with 33. And I think I got very very lucky with that one. Still, I think it does show that - with some luck and good positioning - that snipers can be highly effective :D

Great stuff, thanks for taking the time and writing this stuff up.

Will the German troop designations be consistently using the German terms (f.e. 1. Zug, 1. Kompanie) or will there be mixes as shown in the AAR (1. Plt 1. Kp)? Just curious, no nitpicking intended :)

That's up to the scen designer - I forgot that Zug = Pn, and went with Pn.

Thanks to Jon and Elvis for the entertaining and informative game, as well as the on-the-go feedback. Thanks to all of you for making these two threads the most active we've ever seen!

I'm locking this thread and there will be a new thread which both Jon and Elvis will give their thoughts about how the game progressed and what each thought about the other's actions at the time. That will get started soon!

Steve