CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin US side

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pinetree made this:

http://cmsfmods.heroku.com/mods/4115?view_type=preview

I noticed a base in your screenshots that seemed like a cross between the stock CMSF bases and pinetree's which made me curious.

Gotcha. Sorry, I didn't know the reference. Before starting battle this I removed all "mods" (yes there were/are a couple even though the game hasn't been released) and I am playing with graphics that were in the build that BFC had when the game began. Looking at the link you sent the + and skull and cross bones bases look very similar and the normal base looks very different from what I am using. I don't know if the ones I am using are going to be the final ones or not. We've played around with a coupla/few.

Thanks for the response Kwazy. You have done a great job, I just think some colors could be adjusted juuust a little bit. I did a quick PS job, as the field seemed too yellow/brown to my eyes. And made trees a bit darker with some artificial highlighting. Is there a way distant lods to have some highlight and give volume to trees? (Please excuse this off topic intervention..)

terrain.jpg

Thanks for the response Kwazy. You have done a great job, I just think some colors could be adjusted juuust a little bit. I did a quick PS job, as the field seemed too yellow/brown to my eyes. And made trees a bit darker with some artificial highlighting. Is there a way distant lods to have some highlight and give volume to trees? (Please excuse this off topic intervention..)

terrain.jpg

To be honest I think the graphics look worse in those screenies than they really are. I'm not sure if they are a result of the jpeg format, or the map itself combined with the time of day, but what I see on my screen is delightfully lush and green. :)

To be honest I think the graphics look worse in those screenies than they really are. I'm not sure if they are a result of the jpeg format, or the map itself combined with the time of day, but what I see on my screen is delightfully lush and green. :)

Yes, thats very possible, again my apologies, dont want to interrupt this great DAR. I have an unhealthy obsession with CM visuals and ways to make the game look better(hopefully) :)

CM:BN....................................................................<Spot the difference>.....................................................................CM:SF

I was reading through all the posts to see if anyone had noticed before I made a comment about it...I picked up on them immediately when looking at the screens and then peed myself a little! I think I wrote Dan about this very thing a few years ago hoping they could get more variety for casualties in the game...I am very happy!

It's looking great Elvis, I am really digging the up close and personal presentation..it's exactly how I like to play.

Somebody asked about the zook hitting a tree...and I asked a ways back (where I posted the pic of the "tube guy")...do trees get damaged in game or is it just leaves being knocked off the branches? Or is that NDA terrirtory?

Mord.

P.S. The "Tube Guy" thing is cracking me up...it's like Where's Waldo but with death and violence.

Ali-Baba - You have to be careful bringing your Southern European/Mediterranean eye to the graphics of Normandy. Trees in distance would have a blue hazing atmospheric effect flattening them out with softening of contrast i.e. less highlighting.

My experience is that of an artist (BA Fine Art painting) and having travelled to around France, Greece & Crete as a bohemian starving artist :) The light down your way is much crisper and less wishy washy in general. Watercolours t'up in Northern Europe reflect the nature of the environment and tend to be 'muddier' - in contrast to the further south you go he brighter and crisper they get (Paul Cezanne loved the South of France cos of the crisper light)

Coming back from Greece up through italy in the summer it wasn't until I got as far north as Milan did my raw & burnt sienna sore eyes see the cooler greens associated with home.

Check out the landscape paintings of French Impressionist Monet "an eye, but my God what an eye ' , and the early impressionist Pissaro to see what I mean:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&expIds=17259,27586,27757,27847,27955,28101&xhr=t&q=pissarro&cp=7&newwindow=1&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1138&bih=803

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&biw=1138&bih=803&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=Monet+landscape&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Yeah. Me too. Also, in the screenshots the plowed field looks funky sometimes and not representative of how it looks when you're playing. Kind of like how some sport jacket (herringbone I think) looked weird on TV back in the day.

Mord.

P.S. The "Tube Guy" thing is cracking me up...it's like Where's Waldo but with death and violence.

Ya know the screen shot I really want to be able to post of Tube Guy? Targeting one of those damned JpZ IVs. I guess time will tell on that one.

Ali-Baba - You have to be careful bringing your Southern European/Mediterranean eye to the graphics of Normandy. Trees in distance would have a blue hazing atmospheric effect flattening them out with softening of contrast i.e. less highlighting.

My experience is that of an artist (BA Fine Art painting) and having travelled to around France, Greece & Crete as a bohemian starving artist :) The light down your way is much crisper and less wishy washy in general. Watercolours t'up in Northern Europe reflect the nature of the environment and tend to be 'muddier' - in contrast to the further south you go he brighter and crisper they get (Paul Cezanne loved the South of France cos of the crisper light)

Coming back from Greece up through italy in the summer it wasn't until I got as far north as Milan did my raw & burnt sienna sore eyes see the cooler greens associated with home.

Check out the landscape paintings of French Impressionist Monet "an eye, but my God what an eye ' , and the early impressionist Pissaro to see what I mean:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&expIds=17259,27586,27757,27847,27955,28101&xhr=t&q=pissarro&cp=7&newwindow=1&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1138&bih=803

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&biw=1138&bih=803&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=Monet+landscape&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

The fog grog has arrived.

Wow, intense battle in the woods. This is very interesting, but I am wondering,does it feel like WWII??

I obviously can't answer that question...but just for the sake of running my mouth, it sure looks like it will. I've got that warm, fuzzy, feeling...

Ya know the screen shot I really want to be able to post of Tube Guy? Targeting one of those damned JpZ IVs. I guess time will tell on that one.

I'd like to see that myself!

Mord.

That reminded me of a question - In CM1 there were seasonal variations in the artwork and cover afforded by deciduous vegetation etc. In CMBN from middle to late summer it shouldn't be really changing much but will subsequent modules snap it over to Autumn/Winter/Spring with different variables for cover.

Also will purchasing vehicles be date dependent as it was in CM1? - with skillful choosing it was possible to timewarp choices in the editor back and forward through time by tinkering with settings.

In the screenies so far the newly ploughed fields seem more appropriate for winter / early spring than midsummer+

4%201%20small.jpg

This shot may simply be too far away to see it, but Mr Picky feels like these Shermans ought to be leaving some more stuff in their wake than diesel fumes as they chug through those fields at speed; either some dust if it's Dry conditions or (more likely in June) big clods of dirt.

Come to think of it, what are they growing in those fields anyway that isn't "knee high by the Fourth O' July"? Tasty organic avocados?

That was a refreshing post Wicky, a rare read for wargaming boards..Sometimes its nice to just talk about the art side of things, even pc wargames :)

Now, I think, I actually made colors a bit more blue/violet than they are (My pic is on the right). But you are right on the light, contrast should not be overdone in misty Normandy. I was just curious from a technical point of view about the lighting effect on distant trees. They sometimes look a bit flat. Now, they dont need to shine like meditarranean olive trees in August but just a touch of light/shadow would be nice I think? :)

PS. These are great galleries, I wish a game could borrow a hint of the atmosphere of these landscapes.

Yeah. Me too. Also, in the screenshots the plowed field looks funky sometimes and not representative of how it looks when you're playing. Kind of like how some sport jacket (herringbone I think) looked weird on TV back in the day.

Thanks for that comment, Elvis. I was about to ask about the Moiré patterns in the plowed fields, and if it was really like that in game. It would have driven me nuts if it was, so now I can rest easy :). Really enjoying your DAR.

We're actually looking into the Moiré fields now. It seems that video card hardware is the #1 issue. Some people are seeing no Moiré, others are seeing quite a lot. In fact, it was Elvis' screenshots that got a lot of us people without the effect scratching our heads. "How could I have missed that?" we thought. And the answer appears to be because some of us aren't experiencing it. Dunno what we can do about it, but we're definitely checking it out.

Steve

We're actually looking into the Moiré fields now. It seems that video card hardware is the #1 issue. Some people are seeing no Moiré, others are seeing quite a lot. In fact, it was Elvis' screenshots that got a lot of us people without the effect scratching our heads. "How could I have missed that?" we thought. And the answer appears to be because some of us aren't experiencing it. Dunno what we can do about it, but we're definitely checking it out.

Steve

Maybe it depends on which videocard supports french video drivers :)

Moiré fields :confused::D

i dont know whether im a lone voice on this issue, or whether im just in the wrong community - the game looks great, the tanks look great, the units, the action, the close up shots and the casualties - without wishing to cause any offense and i really dont mean to - who the **** cares if the field should be ploughed or not, whether the grass should be brown/green, green/brown for fks sake look at the pics - its awesome, just truly amazing

i dont know whether im a lone voice on this issue, or whether im just in the wrong community - the game looks great, the tanks look great, the units, the action, the close up shots and the casualties - without wishing to cause any offense and i really dont mean to - who the **** cares if the field should be ploughed or not, whether the grass should be brown/green, green/brown for fks sake look at the pics - its awesome, just truly amazing

+1

Yeah, the appearance is great!